Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do I need a preamp?  (Read 1704 times)

urobouros

• Trade Count: (0)
Do I need a preamp?
« on: November 17, 2004, 05:46:08 PM »
I am running a pair of Superlux SMK-H8K's with an ART Phantom II power box.  I got a mixer because I was afraid of frying the line-in on my MD (JB3 ships today or tomorrow!!).  I finally got to rat shack for connectors and tested the whole set up into the MD.  I only register on the MD's meters when speaking directly into the mic at close range.  It works fine with the mic jack and I can adjust levels during recording with MD.  Will I be needing a preamp when using this setup with the jb3/MD?

Todd

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Do I need a preamp?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 09:55:27 PM »
I'd either go with a Denecke PS-2 phantom > Denecke AD-20 preamp setup or Edirol UA-5 modded.  The UA-5 is a preamp and phantom power rolled up all in one.  Its the same size as the ART Phantom II.  You can also run an optical cable between the UA-5 or Denecke AD-20 and the JB3.  Most importantly, make sure you record with WAV when using the JB3.  The WAV sound quality using either setup will kick your minidisc's ass.  Healthy taper advice, put your MD on eBay and fahgeddaboudit!

Meters on the JB3 are pretty acurate when using either setup.  I set my AD-20 to 4 o'clock.

Peace, bro.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com