Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD-A Question  (Read 3842 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
DVD-A Question
« on: November 18, 2004, 10:18:45 AM »
OK, so the technology is new to me (a bit behind in playback upgrades), but I am assuming if I get a DVD-A capable player, i am assuming that if I run digi out to a receiver, it will probably output a downsampled signal...whereas if I do the analog outs, it will output at whatever rate the disc is encoded at...correct? 

Definitley think I am misisng something here....any and all input is appreciated

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: DVD-A Question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 10:34:16 AM »
yes, a lot of dvd-a players will output a 48k signal, even if it is 96 (or even higher) on the disc

if you use the analog outs, it should use the player's onboard dac's at whatever rate the disc is encoded at. 

if you're doing surround i would think you'll need to use the analog outs anyway...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 11:00:36 AM »
cool, that is what I thought...thanks Scott

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:03:24 AM »
not all downsample.  mine will output 24/96 digital to a DAC, but i use the internal DACs since i don't have one.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 12:59:11 PM »
not all downsample.  mine will output 24/96 digital to a DAC, but i use the internal DACs since i don't have one.

exactly, not all downsample.  it's good to do your research online, because a lot of the people I spoke to in stores kept telling me that ALL players downsample, and that's just not true.  I have a Denon 2200, and it outputs a digi 24/96 signal.  the manual says that a 24/192 sample will be downsampled to 24/96 (which is ok with me, because the grace 901 will only take up to a 24/96.  that, and I don't have any 192 recordings yet).

oh, and the above is for stereo playback, I'm not sure about surround.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 01:14:04 PM »
my onkyo does the same thing.  outputs the pcm 24/96 signal but will downsample 24/192 to 24/96.  pretty sure that mine will only output stereo digitally as well.  i believe some dvd-a's are encoded so that you cannot output 24/96.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 01:15:33 PM »
thanks for all the input guys!  +Ts all around

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 01:25:58 AM »
if you're doing surround i would think you'll need to use the analog outs anyway...

i'm pretty sure digital will do surround too.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 07:13:44 AM »
It would be news to me to hear a DVD-A capable player do 24/96 in 5.1 channels over a coax digital connection.  Please point me to these players.  I've only seen the Denon's and others that will do multi channel high resolution over i-link, firewire, HDMI.

SC

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 09:32:13 AM »
yeah, that's what i was saying

a dvd player can do surround over digital if it's dolby digital or something similar, but not 5.1 24/96 over a coax wire.  at least nothing that i've seen...

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 09:35:53 AM »
ya know, i honestly have no idea than.  my stereo equipment is no where near the quality of probably everyone on this board...so i have no room to talk.  maybe my receiver is encoding it into surround.

ok, i'll shut up now.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 10:34:08 PM »
yeah, that's what i was saying

a dvd player can do surround over digital if it's dolby digital or something similar, but not 5.1 24/96 over a coax wire.  at least nothing that i've seen...

I believe that some players will carry 5.1 24/96 if it is DTS capable, but 24/192 won't be carried from a DVD-A over your optical or coxial to a receiver as far as I know. 

I just read an article that said a lot of commercially available DVD-A's also have groups that contain DD and DTS, so folks that have their DVD-A players hooked up via an optical or coaxial THINK that they are listening to the hires DVD-A, but are actually listening to a DD or DTS signal instead.

Yes you are correct that DTS 24/96 logo players will do this, however I've yet to see this decoder (logo) on a piece of consumer gear. You will mainly find DTS ES these days.  Most DVD-A do have a DD track as well.  Most players will light up the "track" being played.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com