Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nomad 3 battery getting rare  (Read 34452 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Nomad 3 battery getting rare
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2004, 10:25:54 PM »
id love to have some info on this thing too ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

thierryhenry

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2004, 07:53:52 AM »
Yeah seriously :)

jimmc

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2004, 12:21:41 PM »
Any other news on the Powerplant External?

We know:

It can be charged through the JB3 (like Bean said), but Tony is testing the maximum time? I am very happy to have it even with running 2 internals, I'd guess 10-15 hours, with this bad boy? I'd like to get it as an x-mas present, anything else you can think of against it? Thanks.

Mine will arrive on XMas Eve.  Probably wont have time to do any testing until after the weekend though.
Hopefully someone else will post some results before I get around to it.
Jim

thierryhenry

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2004, 02:11:27 PM »
Thanks.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2004, 09:22:53 PM »
So these powerplant batteries work 100% then, right?  I think I'm going to order at least one, it'd be nice to feel comfortable recording all night without worrying about battery life. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2004, 11:08:57 PM »
I was brain storming ideas about JB3 external power with a friend the other day and he came up with an interesting idea.  He noticed that the internal batteries have four contect points (not just one positive and one negative).  He postulized there may be some circut in the battery that signals the JB3 when the voltage gets too low leading to "graceful shutdown".   What if one gutted an old dead battery found the circut ,connected a female plug to it and the male end to an external battery.  In essence turning an internal battery into a plug-in for an external battery.  Would the JB3 "see" the external as an internal battery?  Is this even worth the time of tearing apart a battery?      

This is exactly how i had an external battery for my Casio DA-7, and How my freind ran his panasonic portable.  Gutted battery, soldered wires to the connections in the battery shell.  Ran those wires out to an external battery pack made up of D and C cells, and away we went. Worked great.  Due to that experiance I also have wondered this about the JB3.  I see no reason why it wouldnt as long as you came up with the correct voltage. That is why we used D and C combinations with the DA-7.  I think Leonard from ??? (I cant think of his company right now, but he made external batt packs and stealth mics for DATs back in the day) made both my pack and my buddies Panasonic pack. My buddies for his panasonic was a standard SLR though. + T to ya
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2004, 10:50:34 AM »
Well, I dunno, fellas....

Ordered two batteries and a charger, charged the batt up overnight (as per the instructions), and still can't get it to run either of my two JB3's. Both units freeze up at the "EAX" screen and won't do anything after that. I wish I had better news for ya...

Seeing as how both JB3's run fine when I plug them into their "normal" AC power source, I'm at a loss (and about ready to just ship these batteries back).

As it stands, I'm open to suggestions, but at first glance these batts aren't going to work (YMMV, I suppose...we all know that every JB3 has its own quirks, but to have TWO not respond to the battery is a bit disconcerting).

I'm off to do XMAS crap, then gone to Amsterdam for New Year's. Have a great one, all, and good luck! See ya in '05....

TB
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2004, 10:55:51 AM »
Well, I dunno, fellas....

Ordered two batteries and a charger, charged the batt up overnight (as per the instructions), and still can't get it to run either of my two JB3's. Both units freeze up at the "EAX" screen and won't do anything after that. I wish I had better news for ya...

Seeing as how both JB3's run fine when I plug them into their "normal" AC power source, I'm at a loss (and about ready to just ship these batteries back).

As it stands, I'm open to suggestions, but at first glance these batts aren't going to work (YMMV, I suppose...we all know that every JB3 has its own quirks, but to have TWO not respond to the battery is a bit disconcerting).

I'm off to do XMAS crap, then gone to Amsterdam for New Year's. Have a great one, all, and good luck! See ya in '05....

TB

Do you have the internals in as well? 

thierryhenry

« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2004, 03:52:53 PM »
Thanks for the update, we will be eager to hear how these work out.

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2004, 09:13:58 PM »
Do you have the internals in as well?
hmmm from using jb3 battery soultions, that would be the problem I would think.  JB3 just pulls too much power on start up for the batteries to handle it.  However the specs look good to run it just fine, post start up
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2004, 09:48:04 PM »
wheres the specs?

does it list a current rating for the battery?

the jb3 on startup i believe sucks 1500mah, and lowers signifigantly after startup
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

thierryhenry

« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2004, 07:41:34 AM »
wheres the specs?

does it list a current rating for the battery?

the jb3 on startup i believe sucks 1500mah, and lowers signifigantly after startup

Bean did you order some of these badboys yet? Or are you holding off until we get official word on if/how long they work for?

jimmc

« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2004, 08:20:14 AM »
I charged my Power Plant batt overnight last night. This morning before I left for work, I plugged it into the JB3 to see if it would go past the Creative and/or EAX screens.  It did make it past both and I was able to toggle through the menus.
I was not able to do any testing yet, but hope to soon. 
Anyway, looks like (as far as my instance goes) the Power Plant batt powered up my JB3 with no problem.  I also like that idea that someone had of trying the internals to power up the unit, then switching to the Power Plant batts. That should work if someone is having problems getting past the startup screens.
Jim
Hopefully more info to come......

thierryhenry

« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2004, 08:37:40 AM »
First of all, did you charge the Powerplant Battery through your Jb3, or did you buy the seperate charger sold on their site to charge it?

Secondly, did you have your internal Jb3 batteries in when you powered up the Jb3 with the powerplant batteries?

This is good news, hopefully more to come. Thanks alot +T.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2004, 09:09:33 AM »
I charged my Power Plant batt overnight last night. This morning before I left for work, I plugged it into the JB3 to see if it would go past the Creative and/or EAX screens.  It did make it past both and I was able to toggle through the menus.
I was not able to do any testing yet, but hope to soon. 
Anyway, looks like (as far as my instance goes) the Power Plant batt powered up my JB3 with no problem.  I also like that idea that someone had of trying the internals to power up the unit, then switching to the Power Plant batts. That should work if someone is having problems getting past the startup screens.
Jim
Hopefully more info to come......

That's all I needed to hear for me to order one.  Thanks and +t. ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com