Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Stand-alone" PC playback  (Read 3669 times)

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
"Stand-alone" PC playback
« on: November 19, 2004, 10:47:17 AM »
Been pondering over ideas for a different/unique stand-alone PC playback system.

Notebook dedicated to audio playback only w/external ethernet hard drive(s)? 
Essentially, a notebook that would serve the purpose of a DAT deck, DVD-A player, etc... that's use would be solely for sending music to a processor (with a waveform display during playback).

Any thoughts?  Minimum requirements: PC, Digi Connection, etc.?
The ethernet drives I've seen are still pricey; $1500 for 800GB.

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: "Stand-alone" PC playback
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 10:50:12 AM »
might be good for playing electronic files if you can eliminate some of the noise, but i dont know that i'd use it as my transport too, computer drives suck for that kinda thing.  i'd think you'd be better building a thin rack system with a video out hooked to your tv with a wireless keyboard and mouse

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 10:54:20 AM »
Yeah, I currently run my comp into my AUX inoput and there are noise issues.

I'm about ready to just buy monitors for the comp and start burning audio discs again...

Pain, but not worth blowing up something in the comp or stereo due to noise or surge, etc...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 10:57:38 AM »

I'm about ready to just buy monitors for the comp and start burning audio discs again...

Pain, but not worth blowing up something in the comp or stereo due to noise or surge, etc...

Terry

i was thinking, what if one was to get a firewire maudio audiophile, run coax out of that into a decent dac into your pre and amp- by removing the audio source from onboard and pushing it through the audiophile you might remove a lot of that noise that comes from the fans and other workings of the pc

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 11:44:44 AM »

Terry

I thought about doing something like that, but I get more surge noise than machine noise. 

Lots of times when I switch folders, I get a "pop", even though my machine sounds are turned off.

Anyways, using the same connections blew up my crappy $100, 15yo JVC Receiver last year...  I still amaze myself with my stupidity sometimes (all the time???) - why do I use the same connection to my new Sony ES???

I think that last statement just made up my mind for me...

Thanks,

Terry

i was thinking, what if one was to get a firewire maudio audiophile, run coax out of that into a decent dac into your pre and amp- by removing the audio source from onboard and pushing it through the audiophile you might remove a lot of that noise that comes from the fans and other workings of the pc
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 11:48:07 AM »
let me throw out another idea- what about using itunes and the airport express- eliminating that connection all together

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 12:44:31 PM »
computer drives suck for that kinda thing.  i'd think you'd be better building a thin rack system with a video out hooked to your tv with a wireless keyboard and mouse

Yeah, that is an issue I've considered.

My primary playback right now is DVD-A, but I've been tempted by the idea of having a "mini-control-station" type setup for accessing/playing shows.  Maybe better technology will present itself in the near future.  Thanks for the tips...

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 12:50:45 PM »

I have been conteplating this...like a jukebox kinda....as i have 4 200 gb drives in raid....I could keep a shitload of shows...and just have it networked to other comps for even more access....

so if i was to run this out of the thin stack, thru the audiophile, into a preamp(3000es?), there would be noise introduced?  I honestly thought that since there were no disk drives(besides the hd's) that noise would be eliminated....i did not figure that the fans and other stuff would put noise into the bus systems between the hd/audiophile card.  how much noise?  very noticable on playback?  thanx
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 12:59:25 PM »
Noisy digital signal -> jitter. If your DAC resamples (what I'm using right now is upsampling everything to 96k), then jitter isn't an issue because the clock isn't derived directly from the incoming data stream. If your DAC locks to the incoming stream (PLL type clock), then this is an issue that you may notice on playback.

I assume you mean using the digital out of the audiophile. I don't think I'd ever use the analog out from a computer.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 01:25:21 PM »
you oughta build one of those shuttle XPCs that sanjay was talking about a week or so ago.  I just finished one up for my mother and its tiny, with built-in wireless and ethernet NICs and on-board S/PDIF in and out.

I'm in Birmingham if you want to come by and look at it...
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com