Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone using the Sony STR-DAX000ES for home theater?  (Read 2027 times)

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone using the Sony STR-DAX000ES for home theater?
« on: December 05, 2004, 01:39:31 PM »
I bought my 5000ES 7 or 8 months ago mainly for home theater (before it was all the rage on this board). The 5000 has 170 WPC and running 5.1 sounded excellent. Well, I've now run into a problem. I am now running 7.2 with all 7 speakers bi-wired. It sounds incredible, but now when I crank it to theater levels (10 on the volume dial) the amp goes into protect mode during really loud passages of movies. It hadn't done it watching Star Wars (the first movie I watched after moving to 7.2 bi-wired) the other night, but did it three or four times last night watching Pirates Of The Carribean. I had planned on eventually buying the Adcom GFA-7805 to really beef up the HT, but it looks like it will be much sooner than expected. The 7805 is a monster 300 watts x 5 power amp. My speakers aren't really rated for more than 250 watts, especially my center and surround bookshelves, but I'm hoping I'll never have to crank it to the level of worrying if they'll blow. Thank god our deal with Adcom let's us get products at 50% off retail.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 01:41:12 PM by Jason B »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Anyone using the Sony STR-DAX000ES for home theater?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 05:51:11 PM »
maybe it just doesn't like Johnny Depp?

;)

Hi Jason
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Jason B

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 06:14:24 PM »
 :P

;)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 06:29:55 PM »
+T
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Jason B

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com