Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bi-amping ADS L1290's  (Read 3385 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Bi-amping ADS L1290's
« on: December 08, 2004, 01:48:09 PM »
I have this 20 year old pair of ADS L1290's that are bi-amp ready. ADS made an amp that fit in the back bottom compartment of each speaker. I never bought those amp's and don't even know if they can be found. I ran the speakers for about 10 years on an Adcom 200 watt and liked them. Then the good old wifey said, "get those ugly thangs out of "my living room". So off they went to my father in law for the last ten years.
So they have been used, which I guess is better than letting them sit idle. I'll be doing a repo on them as I'm building a separate listening room. I guess I could get a crossover(?) and run a 100 watt on top and 200 watt on the bottom or something, but I'm not a techno so I really don't know where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks, ts

Offline itsmyforte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Bi-amping ADS L1290's
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 09:04:15 PM »
if they are bi-ampable then you should see a "strap" across both Tw and W terminals on back.  remove that strap and then you will just need 4 channels of amplification.  you don't need an active crossover to bi-amp, but there will be little if any SQ improvement to the speakers.  you would basically be doing the same thing as "bi-wiring" using the method above.  but if you do want to buy a 4 channel active crossover you could certainly gain some SQ, but active xovers can get quite expensive.  you would also have to know your exact xover points to do this.  you can find out what they are by doing a voltage transfer on the network after you pull it out of the speaker.

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 09:27:36 AM »
if they are bi-ampable then you should see a "strap" across both Tw and W terminals on back.  remove that strap and then you will just need 4 channels of amplification.  you don't need an active crossover to bi-amp, but there will be little if any SQ improvement to the speakers.  you would basically be doing the same thing as "bi-wiring" using the method above.  but if you do want to buy a 4 channel active crossover you could certainly gain some SQ, but active xovers can get quite expensive.  you would also have to know your exact xover points to do this.  you can find out what they are by doing a voltage transfer on the network after you pull it out of the speaker.

So I need 4 amps to do this? Yikes! I might scrap the idea and add a sub to my 2nd pre out.
Thanks.

Offline ts

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 09:30:49 AM »
+T for the ADS speakers!
I have a pair of 20 year L10 bookshelf speakers that sound amazing!

Thanks Moke! I said it before, you and I are out of the same vintage. I love these speakers, but there so damn old (like us!) I wonder if they need to be rebuilt.
Tony

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 01:23:52 PM »
well you could use 4 separate monoblocks for 4 channels, but since you already have 2 channels, buy a smaller powered 2ch amp and run the tweeters off it, and use the current receiver for the woofers.

Offline ts

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 01:36:33 PM »
That's what I was thinking. But I still need a crossover? I've seen some Rane and DBX units under 500.

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 09:03:47 AM »
yes you would still need a crossover.  a DX34 or DX38 is what we use to actively xover speakers here at klipsch.  its used for mainly active speakers.  most of our speakers are voiced the old fashion way, by using an anechoic chamber and ears. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com