Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: playback systems...  (Read 11018 times)

Offline ben

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
playback systems...
« on: October 21, 2002, 05:03:41 PM »
what yall listen to your recordings back on?  Just curious...

Sony boomboxes????

Ben

jpschust

Re:playback systems...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2002, 08:37:01 PM »
Bose surround (not those crappy cubes. but the big boys 601's)  Run digi out of my machine into my Pioneer receiver.

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 09:18:04 PM »
Great question!

Studio:
CDRW2000->

Apogee DA1000e->

Rane SM82a

Anchor ANX-1000

or
with phones...

Large System
Panasonic RP-91->DA1000->Denon 5600->Klipsch KLF 20's

Also...
Sony CPX-450 (400 disc Box)
->
Ramsey FM25FM transmitter

I use the FM transmitter so  can listen to the 4oo disc changer in all the radios in the house! Like in the shower, kitchen TV, Alarm Clocks, walkmans and boomboxes. I can tune it in in my car for about 2 miles! ;) Wonder what the neighbors (and the FCC) think! ;)

Great post...
Bri

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2002, 10:15:50 PM »
Bri,

Did you build your FM25 yourself or have it built for you?  What kind of cost is associated with that...

Jonny

Offline CrazyED

• Taperssection Member
  • w00ks.org
    • My Photos
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2002, 10:29:09 PM »
I've got the Klipsch Legend Series KLF-20's as well.  Talk about a great pair of speakers.  Only powering them with a Pioneer reciever right now but hopefully going to get an amp of some sorts in the near future.
Gear: Canon 350D, Canon 430EX, Canon 10-22mm/3.5, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 24-70mm/2.8, Canon 70-200mm/2.8 IS

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2002, 11:58:36 PM »
I built the Ramsey power supply (only 120 or so solder poins or so) You can have them pre built also. The audio quality is like mp3 and it's hard to find an open freq, but once you get it working, its the way to go. this is wher I got mine....

http://www.hobbytron.net/R-FM25.html

If I were to do it again, I'd have them build it for me, its only 65 bucks or so....

Bri

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2002, 12:05:08 AM »
ben, what are you listening on?

Bri ;)

Offline brad

• Taperssection Newbie
  • "hey baby, keep that skoal" - joe dirt
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2002, 01:27:34 AM »
i have a yamaha natural sound receiver and love it.  also a tascam cdr4u, that for the $$ you cant beat it!   my speakers are kinda shitty, i have 2 technics 12" and 2 sony 12", and a JBL 12" sub that SLAMS! also, infinity rears that sound OK.  

i plug my P1 straight into my yamaha receiver and jam!

Offline ben

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2002, 10:54:35 AM »
I listeb back on:

Sony r500>lucid ada1000> Krell KAV-300i>magnepan 1.6qr's

I just got a pair of the magnepan mg10.1qr's to try out as well.  They are a bit smaller and may sound better in my smaller apartment.  The electrostatic panels sopund amazing but do require alot of placement issues and a very open room.   We'll see if i like these a bit better for my aplications.

I never really listen to cd's...but if i do i have a sony es cd player and run optical out to the lucid.  Works fine...and i dont have a need to drop $700 on a decent cd transport.

Over and out and under-
Ben

Tim

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2002, 11:15:51 AM »
Ben,

I was wondering where you are buying your maggies from and what kind of prices you are seeing for them, especially the mg10.1qr's.

I'm a ways from being able to swing a nice playback system still (damn school!) but I'm trying to keep on top of some of my favorite gear. Thanks!

Tim

Offline ben

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2002, 11:44:06 AM »
I got my first pair of maggies, the mmgs, from magnepan direct.  They were 500 at the time...and i think they go for 550 now.  I then traded the mmg's for a pair of 1.6qr's at a high-fi store in ohio.   The 1.6qr's were 1400 i believe.   I just purchased the 10.1's from a high-fi store in california that had them up for auction after a trade-in.  

The 1.6qr's are much larger than the 10.1's...especially in width...the 1.6's are almost twice as wide.  The mg10's are made for smaller applications and are intended for use with a subwoofer (which will be interesting as i dont have one and have no intentions f purchasing one anytime soon)...the problem with maggies is they are SO FAST that you haveto have a ssub like a velodyne or sunfire to keep up with them...which are quite pricey...

ill report back.  

Ben

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2002, 12:58:49 PM »
I use the B&W cdm 7se with an arcam amp. I use my HHb burner as my cd player which goes to my lucid d>a. I have found these speakers to be laid back and a good choice to listen to all the sorts of music I have. I ve thrown Mule, Sabbath, Bluegrass and Houser's Door Harp in there and have been amazed with the results. The goal now is to get another arcam and bi amp the speakers or to get a mcintosh tube amp and completely run my wife out of the house. Whats a taper to do????
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Rdalton88

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2002, 02:57:37 PM »
The posts about maggies & B&W's were the best so far......  Nice speakers.
Me?  I run the Martin Logan Scenarios from the NAD Amp & 18 bit CD player.  Took me awhile to afford it, but I'm in heaven now.  The Logans really do the B&K mics justice!
LOL!
Ron Dalton
p.s. - take off those headphones!  Let the world in!  :o

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2002, 03:16:59 PM »
Ron,

Never heard the Logans, but I know they are rediculously priced! ;) which CD Player?
Bri

Offline Rdalton88

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2002, 03:50:11 PM »
Bri - they can be expensive.  I, however bought them used on the Audiogon.com page.  The Scenarios are the least expensive of the Martin Logan line.  If you have never head these babies, I strongly suggest you take a ride over to your local Harvey store and check them out.  Electrostatic tech. is a bit finicky, but if driven correctly are one of the best speakers to own.
The CD player I use is the NAD 512.
Enjoy the Music!
 ;)
Ron

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com