Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stereo receiver/amp recs?  (Read 7146 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
stereo receiver/amp recs?
« on: December 26, 2004, 05:41:25 AM »
im hopefully starting to build a nice moderate playback system (nothing outrageous) il be moving into a small(ish) apartment in chicago in a few months and i hope to ahve it completed by then

ive allready got some polk r20 bookshelf speakers (http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Polk_Audio_R20) and need to push these and whatever else i buy in the speaker dept sometime soon

hope to have surround sound for dvd watching eventually also, if that matters at all. im a playback n00b basically, so take it easy

budget for reciever/amp ~500$

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: stereo receiver/amp recs?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 07:57:07 AM »
IF you like Sony products, go for  one of their A/V units in your price category.  I've never been disappointed with Sony.
If you want some thing else, and may be more "audiophile" try Adcom, their lower line PRe should be in the 5 to 6 hundred range.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ADCGFP715&product_name=GFP-715%20Preamplifier

I used to install a lot of Adcom for my home A/V customers when I ran a company that did that.  IMO, they are the most "audiophile" sounding product for the money.  they compete with gear 5 times it's price.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 08:09:19 AM »
I used to install a lot of Adcom for my home A/V customers when I ran a company that did that.  IMO, they are the most "audiophile" sounding product for the money.  they compete with gear 5 times it's price.
I will second that on adcom. I have a DAC of theirs and it is very nice imo.
Of course my speakers are crap and I am still running a 2 channel integrated tuner amp
so I have no room to boast on the playback arena either. I would also look at Onkyo equipment, that is what I am using for a receiver and I have been pleased.
Just wanted to chime in on Adcom though...
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 09:29:26 AM »
sony strda3000es will work QUITE nicely -- feed it a digital signal (coax or optical) and it will make your polks sing.  Also will feed a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system.

Can be had for around your budget

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 12:44:25 PM »
I'd also look into the NAD line.  You can find the T752 in your price range.

Oh yeah, go used if possible.  Agon is your friend

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 01:07:14 PM »
just bought a 3000ES from the Oades today...hope to have it this week!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 01:18:15 PM »
after reading the review on nickspicks.com about the sony strda3000es  I want one too!
They can be had for around $600 if you hunt a little bit online.

for what it is worth...the Oades price is not much above that right now...

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 01:19:36 PM »
imho, believe the hype on the sonys.  I've been running a strda5000es for about a year now and like it more and more each day.

Also, it doesn't hurt to ask any dealer to match a lower price -- worst they could do is refuse to match (and explain why).

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 06:22:18 PM »
Audiogon is a great place to buy used.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 07:13:07 PM »
How would you classify the "sound" of the ES line?

Is it warm? or... Analytical and un-colored?  or... somewhat bright and shiney? etc.

The speakers in my potential playback rig are very flat and uncolored and I think would benefit from a little warmth.  Somehow the digital nature of the sony doesn't seem like the right fit just from thinking of it but who knows.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 07:25:05 PM »
just bought a 3000ES from the Oades today...hope to have it this week!

congrats Nick... I'm really hoping to have mine ordered very soon too

*crosses fingers*
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 08:00:39 PM »
congrats Nick... I'm really hoping to have mine ordered very soon too

*crosses fingers*

thanks!  weather caused it so to speak....I am supposed to be in Atlantic City right now gambling away my hard earned money with a buddy of mine, but due to the weather, I didnt feel like making the drive was a good move for one night....the wife in her infinite wisdom said you ought to take the money you were going to spend up there and get that stereo you wanted....yet more proof that I married the right woman :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 08:05:42 PM »
+T to your wife ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 11:29:21 PM »

Is it warm? or... Analytical and un-colored?  or... somewhat bright and shiney? etc.

The speakers in my potential playback rig are very flat and uncolored and I think would benefit from a little warmth.  Somehow the digital nature of the sony doesn't seem like the right fit just from thinking of it but who knows.

What kind of budget do you have.  The Jolida hybrid integrated amps are moderately priced, especially if you find one on Audiogon, and should add some nice warmth to your system.  The preamp section of the amp is tube based which adds some nice warmth while the amp section is solid state to keep it affordable.  I don't personally run one but a friend of mine has one (I forget the model) and I think it sounds very good for the money.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 03:55:54 AM »
sony strda3000es will work QUITE nicely -- feed it a digital signal (coax or optical) and it will make your polks sing. Also will feed a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system.

Can be had for around your budget

anyone know the cheapest retailer to find one of these? as many people fluff these units, i bet someone has shopped around and can save me the legwork ;)

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 09:51:52 AM »
anyone know the cheapest retailer to find one of these? as many people fluff these units, i bet someone has shopped around and can save me the legwork ;)

A quick browsing for the str-da3000es on froogle.com found this -- http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=654377&store=ecost&source=ewbfroogle&adcampaign=email,ewbfroogle

A refurbished 3000es for $462.74 

Sound of the sony es series -- I find these units' best feature to be their amazing soundstage and imaging and WARM, natural sound.  I believe the digital nature of these beasts contributes to this -- if your primary listening material is digital (opposed to analog), then at a minimum, this deserves a listen.  I say this because all imputs are converted to digital and upsampled to dsd (the format used by sacd).  I believe that much of the sonic signature of these puppies is derived from this dsd upsampling.  Note -- you feed these amps a digital signal (spdif).  Thus, the cd player, dat deck, etc. merely serve as transports to feed the amp and you're in effect purchasing a d>a, receiver and amp all wrapped in 1 package.

Enough fluffing

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 10:09:20 AM »

Is it warm? or... Analytical and un-colored? or... somewhat bright and shiney? etc.

The speakers in my potential playback rig are very flat and uncolored and I think would benefit from a little warmth. Somehow the digital nature of the sony doesn't seem like the right fit just from thinking of it but who knows.

What kind of budget do you have. The Jolida hybrid integrated amps are moderately priced, especially if you find one on Audiogon, and should add some nice warmth to your system. The preamp section of the amp is tube based which adds some nice warmth while the amp section is solid state to keep it affordable. I don't personally run one but a friend of mine has one (I forget the model) and I think it sounds very good for the money.

I could be arm twisted into spending around, eh, $500 or so at the most probably.  Although if I were to come in at something lower I'd feel better about myself :P

The speakers are a pair of Axiom M22's I'm going to be picking up from another board member here sometime soon.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2004, 11:54:36 AM »
I've been happy with the Outlaw 1050 which is discontinued. The new 950 looks pretty sweet.

Josh

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2004, 12:11:17 PM »
What kind of budget do you have.  The Jolida hybrid integrated amps are moderately priced, especially if you find one on Audiogon, and should add some nice warmth to your system.  The preamp section of the amp is tube based which adds some nice warmth while the amp section is solid state to keep it affordable.  I don't personally run one but a friend of mine has one (I forget the model) and I think it sounds very good for the money.

Can you find out what model Jolida?  I've been considering a 1501 but I don't know anyone who has one and I'd like to ask some questions about it if that is what your friend has.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 01:12:44 PM »

Can you find out what model Jolida?  I've been considering a 1501 but I don't know anyone who has one and I'd like to ask some questions about it if that is what your friend has.

Sure, I'll find out and let you know.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2004, 02:06:36 PM »
for <$300 you can get a Panasonic XR50.  I run the now discontinued XR45 and love it.  if you need HDMI, the XR70 is +$100.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.159 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com