Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dvda players for dummies  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
dvda players for dummies
« on: January 07, 2005, 06:05:19 PM »
ok, i just bought the toshiba sd4960 from craig t.  i have it all hooked up properly i think.  optical for audio and svideo for video, but when i put in my beck dvda and my flaming lips 5.1 disc, all i get is the same menu i got before on my normal dvd player.  i can't even get to the dvd-a stuff.  i'm guessing i'm doing something wrong.  anyone have any tips?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: dvda players for dummies
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 06:13:24 PM »
go to rat shack and pick up 6 rca cables.  DVD-A is over the analog 5.1 outputs for that player and must be hooked up to the 5.1 (or 7.1) input on your receiver.
SC

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 06:14:52 PM »
d'oh!

in the little book it says it can do 2 channel over optical, but i guess it can't.  bugger!

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 06:52:51 PM »
ok, so i have the rca cables hooked up.  i put in the beck dvd, and it still goes to the menu instead of playing the dvd-a portion of the disc.  any advice?

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 07:20:26 PM »
In the menu you might have to select the DVD-A portion.  Mine goes right to the menu as well, but it senses that it is DVD-A and will play it unless you select the DD or 2 channel tracks.

SC

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 10:27:10 AM »
ok, i just bought the toshiba sd4960 from craig t.  i have it all hooked up properly i think.  optical for audio and svideo for video, but when i put in my beck dvda and my flaming lips 5.1 disc, all i get is the same menu i got before on my normal dvd player.  i can't even get to the dvd-a stuff.  i'm guessing i'm doing something wrong.  anyone have any tips?

I have the samsung player which i belive is the toshibas cousin, I have it hooked up via coax now and I am able to play both the surround and the stereo portions on the beck disc. only that the surround defaults to stereo. The problem is that when hooked up this way it seems as though in between tracks there is enough "dead air" to tell the amp that there is no signal. the amp will go into a quasi standby mode untill the next track kicks in. resulting in missing the first second or so of the track. Im sure the analog cables will fix this.

now ed, stupid question, are you using your TV to navigate the disc? I think you need to, you just cant pop it in and hit play.
the show is over go home please.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 12:15:56 PM »
In the menu you might have to select the DVD-A portion. Mine goes right to the menu as well, but it senses that it is DVD-A and will play it unless you select the DD or 2 channel tracks.

SC

it seems to go to the same menu as any dvd player.  when it starts playing it shows the video in the background and everything, just like the original way it did before.  i don't seem to have the option to pick dvd-a from the menu.

now ed, stupid question, are you using your TV to navigate the disc? I think you need to, you just cant pop it in and hit play.

yep, definitely navigating with the tv, but not getting to the right spot.

i know something is wrong tho, cuz even on the flaming lips dvd-a disc i have, it goes right to the normal video/audio part that is played on normal dvd players, and then it won't play the 6 dvd-a only tracks on the disc.

i think i may need to call tech support.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 12:26:41 PM »
Wish I could help, but I never played a commercial DVDA on it, just the ones I burned from DiscWelder Bronze.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 12:27:46 PM »
do the ones that are burned masters have to use the video feed to navigate?  DVD-A is new to me :P

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 12:57:34 PM »
do the ones that are burned masters have to use the video feed to navigate?  DVD-A is new to me :P

not sure i follow what you mean.  the discs i have authored with discwelder steel have a menu in them, but can be operated just like a cd, without looking at the tv.  is that what you meant?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 12:59:50 PM »
do the ones that are burned masters have to use the video feed to navigate? DVD-A is new to me :P

not sure i follow what you mean. the discs i have authored with discwelder steel have a menu in them, but can be operated just like a cd, without looking at the tv. is that what you meant?

yeah, exactly what I meant...to be clearer, if someone gives me a 24 bit show, they mastered with discwelder (or like program) I am assuming I can just pop that into the player and it will play like a CD, and I wont have to navigate it with the video screen...fair statement?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 01:01:20 PM »
yes.  i put song titles and source info into the menus but rarely use them myself.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 01:03:07 PM »
yes. i put song titles and source info into the menus but rarely use them myself.

cool, thanks for the info Damon...+T

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 02:07:59 PM »
In the menu you might have to select the DVD-A portion. Mine goes right to the menu as well, but it senses that it is DVD-A and will play it unless you select the DD or 2 channel tracks.

SC

it seems to go to the same menu as any dvd player.  when it starts playing it shows the video in the background and everything, just like the original way it did before.  i don't seem to have the option to pick dvd-a from the menu.

yep, definitely navigating with the tv, but not getting to the right spot.

i know something is wrong tho, cuz even on the flaming lips dvd-a disc i have, it goes right to the normal video/audio part that is played on normal dvd players, and then it won't play the 6 dvd-a only tracks on the disc.

i think i may need to call tech support.

might be the disc,

mine played fine all the way up to track 10 and then just stopped no response from the dvd a player. got a new disc  no problems yet.

d
the show is over go home please.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 02:41:56 PM »
hmm, well maybe i'll have to call tech support.  i should probably burn some 24bit shows and see what happens.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com