Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Playback sluttiness....  (Read 27551 times)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Playback sluttiness....
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2005, 01:09:05 PM »
it's not that it's not the greatest idea, but it's more that you are doing double duty.  a decently made amp has its own line filtration in it and can handle a small surge without being fried- it will flip its circuit and be done.  Even a conditioner ain't gonna stop a lightning strike to your line.  Generally an Amp and a sub do not need to be connected to a conditioner.

I will attempt to NEVER be in Iowa.  Nothing to do with you.  More because, well, it's Iowa.

I will attempt to never come back once I move to Virginia next year! ;D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

jpschust

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2005, 01:09:37 PM »
what about just a regular UPS made for computers??? 

it's a start but that's not doing any line filtration of excess noise and interference.

and where in VA are you moving to?

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2005, 01:23:36 PM »
Tim...You will need a voltage regulator and an AC regenerator. Look into Monster and Panamax. When I got into the McIntosh gear a few years ago, I made the decision to look into the voltage and AC regen's and am quite happy I did. You definitely don't want to fry those tubes!!!

NICE upgrade!!!!! Do you still wanna borrow the AudioQuest speaker cables? I finally found them and the Slate bi-wire connectors :) The cables could make that tube amp/B&W sound even better.

----Jason
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2005, 02:34:26 PM »
Tim...You will need a voltage regulator and an AC regenerator. Look into Monster and Panamax. When I got into the McIntosh gear a few years ago, I made the decision to look into the voltage and AC regen's and am quite happy I did. You definitely don't want to fry those tubes!!!

NICE upgrade!!!!! Do you still wanna borrow the AudioQuest speaker cables? I finally found them and the Slate bi-wire connectors :) The cables could make that tube amp/B&W sound even better.

----Jason

I'm looking into voltage regulators right now... I've asked about them before and have a few good recommendations... Panamax and Monster are both on the list :)

I'd love to try those cables... I'll email you my address...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2005, 02:52:49 PM »
A $1600 Panasonic digital receiver, bring that thing over for a shootout!  When OJ got off I thought I'd seen it all, but now....   FYI, if you are looking into surge protection I would look at Surgex and Brickwall as they use no MOV's.  Monster and Panamax do.  I'd look into the PS Audio power components as well.  Get that gear riding a pure wave!

Uncle sam isn't going to help me this year as the wife says we are headed back to Jamaica, but "The General" may get me some new audio/video equip although I may also get forced into a downpayment on a new pad :(

SC

Offline Tim

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2005, 02:56:05 PM »
what about Furutech?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2005, 03:02:35 PM »
I'll throw in a vote for the BlueCircle Music Ring power conditioners: Instantly audible improvement.

http://www.bluecircle.com/index.php?menu_id=2724

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2005, 05:51:48 PM »
Scott, are you going to MOE in shicago again?  I could always show up with a receiver on Sunday after the show.  I just got the confirmation that it is on it's way here.  I am going to start checking into power condeitioners.  I will report back with what I find.  Jonny, I haven't really decided on a spot yet, it really depends where an agency opening is.  I knw one is coming availible in Leesburg, which would be nice though the cost of living would be quite high I would imagine.  Possibly Richmond.  Somewhere where  where young professionals actually exist, because they sure as shit don't here in Iowa City!

Happy Weekend

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2005, 06:52:41 PM »
There aren't many in Leesburg either. Mostly late 20s through mid-30s.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Tim

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2005, 10:18:56 PM »

BobW

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2005, 10:37:09 PM »
Daryan,

If you are dropping that much on cables and whatnot you need to get some high quality AC line conditioning going on.

These are my favorites just because they aren't TERRIBLY expensive for the high end stuff: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13070

:o :o :o $800 for line conditioning?  goddamnit...why didnt i choose fishing or something for a hobby!

Sheee-at !  For $800 I can make an A.C. line D.C. !

jpschust

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2005, 11:54:55 PM »
what about Furutech?

anyone?

ok, not great.  better than nothing, but just ok.  really all you get is a rack mountable powerstrip with not much else.

Offline Tim

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2005, 12:12:18 AM »
thanks Jonny! I went with a furutech e-tp60, found one for $250 and decided to order it.... the few online reviews sounded good. I don't have room for a big rack mount etc...

Offline Tim

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2005, 06:42:23 PM »
just hooked up the furutech... noticeable difference right away, I've never heard black before but that is certainly where my background noise is now at. the bass seems to be cleaner and a touch deeper as well. I listened fo rabout 20 minutes to a recording of acoustic classical music before hooking up the furutech then went back and relistened and there is a distinct difference. thanks for the help guys...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2005, 10:27:56 PM »
yeah i was very pleased when i first hooked up my conditioner.  amazing what some stuff can do

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com