Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Monitors vs speakers AND receiver suggestions needed  (Read 8699 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Monitors vs speakers AND receiver suggestions needed
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 11:07:45 AM »
give me a few minutes to go back and actually read it. I scanned the thread, and when I saw ns-10's mentioned, just hit reply. I should really be more thorough and actually read before I type, but I think I have ADD... :P

I'm sure that I do :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 11:21:52 AM »
One other thing about powered monitors is that it is virtually impossible to fry your speakers since the speaker and integral amps are designed to work together.

Also, it seems that most monitor-type speakers designed for use in the nearfield have more restricted lateral dispersion than similar "audiophile" designs. You can see this in the baffle design of numerous monitors where a waveguide is often implemented with the tweeter (genelec and mackie monitors come to mind) This could possibly lead to the speakers sounding dull if you have a large room or do not toe them in towards you. This may have been mentioned in Tim's post but I didn't have a chance to read it in detail. 

Happy shopping!
Ben

« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 11:26:21 AM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 11:34:05 AM »
you said it much better than me Ben!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline JeffK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 11:41:40 AM »
I would stick with speakers/amps for your situation.  Like Ben said, monitors are better suited for nearfield use.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 12:42:14 PM »
One other thing about powered monitors is that it is virtually impossible to fry your speakers since the speaker and integral amps are designed to work together.

Also, it seems that most monitor-type speakers designed for use in the nearfield have more restricted lateral dispersion than similar "audiophile" designs. You can see this in the baffle design of numerous monitors where a waveguide is often implemented with the tweeter (genelec and mackie monitors come to mind) This could possibly lead to the speakers sounding dull if you have a large room or do not toe them in towards you. This may have been mentioned in Tim's post but I didn't have a chance to read it in detail. 

Happy shopping!
Ben

This is a good explanation of why nearfield monitors wouldn't be effective in a home theater environment.  For studio use, where I am 3 feet from my display and monitors, they rule, but for home use, I wouldn't reccommend.

I went by a new mastering facility in Pittsburgh recently and checked out their amazing monitoring setup.  Here is what they use (typically mastering suites use hi-fi speakers rather than studio monitors, as Garrett explains below:

For the most part, you won't find studio monitors in a dedicated mastering suite. The reason is simple: near-field monitors are a compromise. They are often a limited frequency unit that is designed to let engineers track and mix in a quick and efficient way. Conversely, mastering engineers use high end, full rage speakers in a tuned environment. What does this mean to you? It means we can hear things that the mix and tracking engineers didn't know were there. For example, bass build up or lack thereof are often problems uncovered during the mastering process.

At Treelady, we rely on a custom Dunlavy main monitoring system:

Monitor System One: Dunlavy SC-V's (with matching custom Dunlavy Sub Towers) These seven foot tall beasts will transform any studio in to a veritable Stonehenge of sound. Known word-wide as some of the finest mastering speakers ever made, the "Duns" allow us to hear things you didn't know were in the mix.

FWIW, the Dunlavy's are AMAZING.  I wish I could own a pair
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 12:53:20 PM »
I have read your inquiry and I think these will fit your needs....

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 02:37:07 PM »
Mark,

Definately consider that Sony amp, sounds like a dream machine.  Once i have some disposable income I might go for it as well or maybe some sorta tube amp--I dunno yet ;D

As per speakers, I recommend what I just picked up, some Axiom M22ti's.. Man they SING!  Would need a sub to get to the lower octaves (but so would most monitor/bookshelf sized speaker).

Check out www.audioreview.com, search for the axiom's and others mentioned here and read over all the reviews, might help you make a decision.

If you have a local hi-fi shop (I don't) I'd recommend definately demo'ing some before buying.  Most reputable shops will let you take them home to listen before buying.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2005, 03:50:20 PM »
Heath - I was lucky enough to watch a very talented mastering engineer master an album that I had helped mix. Really impressive, it is truely an art form, those guys have ears beyond golden....

here's the guy we went too, just outside of Atlanta...
http://www.rodneymills.com

he's worked with an amazing client list... check it out sometime. He had gold records on the floor because he had run out of room on his walls... not quite as impressive as Xepa but pretty damn cool nonetheless :)

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 03:58:25 PM »
Heath - I was lucky enough to watch a very talented mastering engineer master an album that I had helped mix. Really impressive, it is truely an art form, those guys have ears beyond golden....

here's the guy we went too, just outside of Atlanta...
http://www.rodneymills.com

he's worked with an amazing client list... check it out sometime. He had gold records on the floor because he had run out of room on his walls... not quite as impressive as Xepa but pretty damn cool nonetheless :)

that dude has worked with a lot of people!  thanks for the link!!!!

what album did you work on?  I would like to hear it.

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2005, 04:05:41 PM »
I did *zero* engineering just went to Atlanta to help mix and master with the band. It was with a band I was doing live work for. I'll dig up a copy, nothing special as the engineer they hired was terrible... he was a friend and a student and worked cheap :P

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2005, 04:41:50 PM »
I recommend what I just picked up, some Axiom M22ti's.. Man they SING!  Would need a sub to get to the lower octaves

This set has been on my wish list since last summer...  Along with a Hsu subwoofer...

I'd run this behind my Sony EA-T1000ESD and B&K ST-140.  I'm sure it'll do better than the speakers I have now - sometimes its the Crap Shack hand-me-downs or the Infinity Micro set I have...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2005, 07:50:11 AM »
I just wanted to thank y'all for the info , kudos to all ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

BobW

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2005, 12:49:41 PM »
Currently, I like Dynaudio for room, Tannoy for studio.

BTW, don't ditch your Advents if the woofer surrounds are holding up.  They are warm, but formidable.
Keep 'em up on stands, use spilkes to isolate, keep 'em a few feet off the wall.
Little things like placement can make big differences.  Draperies can change everything sometimes.

FWIW, I don't like the B&Ws, tho'  I know alot of folks hear them differently that I do.

Offline Tim

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2005, 10:22:28 PM »
FWIW, I don't like the B&Ws, tho' I know alot of folks hear them differently that I do.

curious as to what you hear differently?

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2005, 03:05:28 PM »
Currently, I like Dynaudio for room, Tannoy for studio.

I just got a nice set of Tannoys for my home setup.  full on 5.1--absolutely loving them with my 3000es.   ;D

h

The Upstream Mend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com