Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Valence problems!  (Read 4757 times)

Offline daverinuk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Valence problems!
« on: January 20, 2005, 11:28:20 PM »
So I go to tape Galactic with my new Valence Ncharge...
All charged up, I plug it in and I'm good to go. About 15 minutes into the opener I open the lappie to take a look at the levels and the Valence is dead and my comp is at about 88% battery power. It couldn't have lasted a few minutes.
I powered down and was able to record all of Galactic on the internal.
Does this happen often? Is the Valence just a total dud? If I return it, what are the chances of getting another dud?
I tried recharging it and doing so actually almost shorted out my laptop charger. Leaving it plugged in drained my internal battery a bit.
I'm taping two shows this weekend and need to pick up new batteries...am I wasting my money/time?

David
AKG 480's ck61->Audio Magic Sceptor Cables->M-Audio FW410 (Oade Mod)->Apple Powerbook G4

"Songs remain. They last. The right song can turn an emperor into a laughing-stock, can bring down dynasties. A song can last long after the events and the people in it are dust and dreams and gone. That's the power of songs." -Neil Gaiman, "Anansi Boys"

"The blues is the sound a baby makes when it cries for the first time, 'cause after that he knows it'll get picked up and it's all show business." - Arnie Lawrence (1938-2005)

Offline Tyler McGhee

• has developed quite a tolerance...
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • head on down to south park and meet some friends..
    • Piqtu Multimedia
Re: Valence problems!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:52:41 PM »
i have 3 valences and have never had this problem.
although one of mine is getting older and won't hold a charge as long as it used to.

ADK A-51 TL's /DPA 4061 / AKG e451b > Lunatec V3 optical/spdif out > JB3 (16/48) / VxPocket 440 > Dell Inspiron 8500 (24/48)> WaveLab 5.0

http://www.piqtu.com

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 02:15:45 AM »
i have a similar problem.  I called them, they replaced it.  Still having similar trouble.  I'm looking into some other battery system.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline daverinuk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 01:03:09 AM »
Well, I exchanged the battery at Best Buy.
This time I used it to tape and it lasted about 2 hours, but that's with checking the display more often then probably necessary and even burning a disc off the battery.
So I guess it was just a bad battery the first time.
Thanks for the help...
David
AKG 480's ck61->Audio Magic Sceptor Cables->M-Audio FW410 (Oade Mod)->Apple Powerbook G4

"Songs remain. They last. The right song can turn an emperor into a laughing-stock, can bring down dynasties. A song can last long after the events and the people in it are dust and dreams and gone. That's the power of songs." -Neil Gaiman, "Anansi Boys"

"The blues is the sound a baby makes when it cries for the first time, 'cause after that he knows it'll get picked up and it's all show business." - Arnie Lawrence (1938-2005)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 11:06:12 AM »
Curious if the guys having trouble are having issues with the new models or the older models. I have 2 of the older N-Charge and have never had that happen to me. I have noticed 1 thing with 1 of my batteries. The power draw seemed to be going in waves becasue my lappy would say AC power then battey then AC over and over. This happened only 1 time and the battery hadnt been charged for a while. That battery is now my backup but i havent seen it happen since. It was weird.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 12:01:51 PM »
I had an ElectroVaya PowerPad die after 2 years of constant use.  The connector on my Valence didn't quite fit correctly and it broke the power plug on my laptop (yes, my laptop was listed as compatible).  That bulky right-angle connector put too much lateral force on it and broke off the plastic tip of the male coax.  After a $200 repair, I don't use it in the field anymore.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline daverinuk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 10:42:58 PM »
Ok...this is weird. The second battery that lasted fine for the first show just crapped out too!
It was (supposedly) fully charged, it'd been in my backpack about a month...I plugged it in to record Steve Kimock and it was totally dead. Luckily I found a plug and got the show.
I'm getting them from Best Buy. Is it better to order from Valence direct? Anyone else have problems with Valence and Powerbooks? I really don't want to keep returning them! I need an external battery I can rely on!!

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 03:19:09 PM »
the valences will lose charge over time, especially if you have the plug adapter connected to it... I know my VNC-65 (I think thats what it is) will go from a full charge to no charge in a month or so just sitting.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 04:44:46 PM »
What model of valance are u using ? Mine will loose charge slowly over time. I always charge them full the day of a show. If I had mine set aside for a month there would be little or no charge (I leave the power adapters plugged in)
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline daverinuk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 05:00:24 PM »
I've got the newer one. The one you can pick up at Best Buy right now, whatever model that is.
Good to know that they just lose charge and it's not another dead battery. Come to think...that may have been part of the problem the fiirst time. I guess I just assumed if it wasn't being USED, it would hold a charge. Still makes me a bit nervous, but I'll give it another shot and always bring my AC adapter to shows.:)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 05:20:07 PM »
Mine will loose charge slowly over time. I always charge them full the day of a show. If I had mine set aside for a month there would be little or no charge (I leave the power adapters plugged in)

me too
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline daverinuk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 11:40:41 AM »
Ok, bumping this back because I want to make sure I'm not going to screw up my computer power adapter...
I get that they'll lose charge fairly quickly, I can live with that now that I know, but last night I was charging up the Valence and it caused my Apple power adapter (the white box part that plugs into the wall or the extension cord) to heat up so much you couldn't hold on to it and this made it stop working momentarily. I unplugged it, cooled it down and it worked again after that. I finished charging the valence with the power adapter between two ice packs.
Seriously...is this what it's going to be? Is it something specific to the mac that's doing this? Is there nothing that might work better for me?
Thanks for the help so far...just don't like having to use ice packs when I charge a battery.  :-\

Offline Tyler McGhee

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Piqtu Multimedia
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 01:56:06 PM »
I"ve never had that problem either.  You say that after you unplugged it and pllugged it back in, it still heated up?
ADK A-51 TL's /DPA 4061 / AKG e451b > Lunatec V3 optical/spdif out > JB3 (16/48) / VxPocket 440 > Dell Inspiron 8500 (24/48)> WaveLab 5.0

Offline daverinuk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 03:25:41 PM »
Yes. It got so hot it quit working all together. I HAD to unplug it and plug it back in to "reset" it so that it would even work to power my computer. I can't say for certain if it heated as much when I continued charging because it was between the ice packs. The ice did melt a bit though.:( I'm just thinking that much heat has to be bad...

Offline Tyler McGhee

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Piqtu Multimedia
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 03:27:58 PM »
i agree...it certainly can't be good to get that hot.

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 04:12:23 PM »
I just recently got a used Valence, and my laptop wallwart gets REAL hot when charging too.  I actually blew another charger I had when I first tryed to charge the batt.  I didn't realize that the Valence wants to pull like 3amps from the charger, the one I was using was rated 500ma :-[ oops.  Thats prolly why the laptop wallwart gets so hot.  If your's is reated at less than 3amps, it may be working real hard.  Mine is rated at 2.7, so it's close enough (I hope).  I def won't charge mine when I'm not home...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 04:27:21 PM »
wow. i never had that problem (heat)  w/ mine. are you sure you guys have the right tips?
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline daverinuk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 04:37:28 PM »
wow. i never had that problem (heat)  w/ mine. are you sure you guys have the right tips?

Yeah, there's only one set of tips for Apples. My wallwart (?):) says AC input 1.2A. Maybe that's why. Can you get an apple charger rated higher?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com