Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD-A  (Read 7312 times)

Offline MarkDavidson218

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
DVD-A
« on: February 05, 2005, 11:13:41 AM »
So I'm thinking about picking up some one the DVD-A players. I'm moving in to a small apt and I don't want to lug all my my 7.1 system in there. I'll most likely have a center, left, right, and a sub. that should do it right? Can you really tell the differnce? I''ll be just picking up a cheap one from best buy i hate that place), just to see how it works out and then dump it in a few months and buy a high end one.
Thanks,
Mark
mc012> ua-5 > G4 or m1

Offline MarkDavidson218

• Taperssection Regular
DVD-A
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 11:15:37 AM »
So I'm thinking about picking up some one the DVD-A players. I'm moving in to a small apt and I don't want to lug all my my 7.1 system in there. I'll most likely have a center, left, right, and a sub. that should do it right? Can you really tell the differnce? I''ll be just picking up a cheap one from best buy i hate that place), just to see how it works out and then dump it in a few months and buy a high end one.
Thanks,
Mark
mc012> ua-5 > G4 or m1

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DVD-A
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 11:59:52 AM »
there are sub-$150 Toshiba DVD-A players that rival $1000 models in sound quality. Search the playback forum for threads about 'em.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 05:42:25 PM »
the toshiba 4960 is what you should be looking for :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 05:51:55 PM »
that or the samsung HD-841 one of them is a rebrand of the other....but they are the same units

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 08:53:34 AM »
FYI, the samsung HD841 is on sale through the web only at circuit city this week for $150

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 09:08:25 AM »
If video quality is important I'd really stay away from the Samsung 841.  It has nothing but problems.  This may be with the upconversion only though, so I'd read some threads over avsforum.com under DVD&movies. 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 09:17:58 AM »
If video quality is important I'd really stay away from the Samsung 841. It has nothing but problems. This may be with the upconversion only though, so I'd read some threads over avsforum.com under DVD&movies.

scott is right, I have read alot of the same reviews...I only use it for DVD-A

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 02:52:26 PM »
pioneer 563a.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 09:43:20 PM »
pioneer 563a.

I just picked up a Pioneer dv-578a at Best buy for $80... open box with no remote, but grabbed a universal and all works well.  I grabbed Diana Krall "the look of love" and wholy shit... DVD-A is unbelievable.  Amazing depth, and tiny little audible "imperfections" just ad so much realism.  Even on a modest playback system (nakamichi rec and polk spks) this is night and day.  No other dvd-a experience to compare to, but this unit seems to have the goods from what I can tell.  I just may turn into a leach again looking for dvd-a shows!!!
      As for the video, all seems great (I'm no videophile) and features/menus are very easy to use.  All controls are on the face of the unit (part of why I took a chance w/o a remote) and that is always a good thing to have.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 10:36:28 PM »
That Diana Krall DVDA is the one I bought to audition in a borrowed deck.  It is a really killer recording.  It made me buy a DVDA player of my own.  Really, it made me do it.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 03:05:58 AM »
That Diana Krall DVDA is the one I bought to audition in a borrowed deck.  It is a really killer recording.  It made me buy a DVDA player of my own.  Really, it made me do it.

yeah... its really good.  I like that kind of music too... I was raised on the standards.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 06:44:21 AM »
If video quality is important I'd really stay away from the Samsung 841. It has nothing but problems. This may be with the upconversion only though, so I'd read some threads over avsforum.com under DVD&movies.

scott is right, I have read alot of the same reviews...I only use it for DVD-A

Maybe I'm just lo-tech when it comes to movies (I use the RCA video cables to my TV from the 841) and thus why, but I haven't noticed any problems with the video. The fact that this player also does DVD-A and SACD makes this players a wonderful option for those of us who love music.

I really do wish there was a way to program 2 channel PCM though and not have to constantly change that setting everytime I play DVD-A discs. (I only use 2 speakers).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 11:47:43 AM »
yeah, the problem with the player for video is when you use the DVI output....seems to have a flakey interface

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 12:51:17 PM »
there are sub-$150 Toshiba DVD-A players that rival $1000 models in sound quality. Search the playback forum for threads about 'em.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=12613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

If you mod the 4960 sounds like it'll be killer...but i think i'll stick with my Music Hall cd-25.   ;D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com