Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NHT VT-2 Speakers - Anyone have any history/info?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
NHT VT-2 Speakers - Anyone have any history/info?
« on: March 24, 2005, 08:18:45 AM »
So there is a guy locally selling a pair that look to be in mint condition...I would be using them for 2 channel and as the front channels for home theater.  A couple of questions though...everything I read on them says they are power hungry...I am running a Sony 3000ES which is rated at 150W per...will that be enough to drive these?  Also, I am assuming I wont get full benefit from these speakers unless I Bi-Amp them...fair statement?  Lastly, the guy is looking for $500 for the pair...as I said they look to be in great shape by the pictures (I still need to go by and look at them)...from what I have seen online, this looks to be a fair price...am I far off on that?

Appreciate any input!

Nick

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NHT VT-2 Speakers - Anyone have any history/info?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 03:47:44 PM »
Power-hungry means 75 watts or greater from a S.S. amp to me.
Early NHTs got much acclaim in Stereo Review.

I remember Julian Hirsch and his test equipment.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 04:09:24 PM »
I am going to head over monday evening and give them a listen at this guys house....I have heard that the high end can be fatiguing, but that is not a consistent view as near as I can tell...time to give it a listen...

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 04:28:26 PM »
I am going to head over monday evening and give them a listen at this guys house....I have heard that the high end can be fatiguing, but that is not a consistent view as near as I can tell...time to give it a listen...

Do a good inspection of driver surrounds, ask if they were ever in attic, basement or garage. Anywhere too cold, damp, or hot and I'd take the el paso.

Make sure that no one got furniture polish in the drivers     :P

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »
alright, I went by and listened to these last night...the guy that was selling them had them setup the same way I would need to...close to the back wall (within a couple of inches) and they sounded extremely bright to me...fatiguing to listen to.  A little harsh on one of the acoustic guitar tracks I took.  As an experiment, he and I moved them out from the wall...gave it a full 18" behind and to the sides, and the sound was night and day...much more balanced, and the harsh highs were gone.  I am guessing that close to the wall, the bass was not given time to develop correctly.

That being said, since my current room wont allow me logically to put them that far from the wall, I passed on them...if I had a room which would allow them away from the wall, I would have been all over them though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com