Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Conditioners  (Read 11091 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Conditioners
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 10:54:20 AM »
why not buy two furutech's, and plug 'em into the wall..? you can even get furutech wall outlets, too...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2005, 12:39:10 PM »
From what I can see the Furutech is nothing more than a very clean power strip.  While they do have a filter upgrade, I don't see how they could be considered a conditioner without this.  They don't offer any surge protection either.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

My current system has 2 dedicated 20A lines to it.  I do need to find a surge protector as we have eletrical storms and subject to brown outs.  The power is very clean from what I can tell, but if/when I upgrade to seperates I will probabl look into a PS Audio 300 with multiwave, fan, and power port upgrades.  If an amp is added that will just be plugged into the wall with nice power cord.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2005, 01:05:23 PM »
Nice call Moke!  Never seen them before, still use MOV tech, but claim the way it is implemented does not harm the components. 

The one question I've heard answered both ways it this.... does a HT preamp fall in the digital or analog category.  I say digital, but some say that because it ouputs analog signal via preouts it is analog.  I consider 2 channel tube pres, turntables, amps etc to fall in the analog and DVD/CD, HT pre's fall into the digital.  Simply put if the component is of PURE analog configuation it belongs on the analog ports.  What do you all say?

sc.

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 10:47:48 AM »
Check out the Shunyatas.  I just auditioned a Hydra 6 yesterday and I must say--it might be the first power conditioner that I spring for (I never did buy a Power Plant..).  It didn't seem to color the music like the Audio Power/RGPC/Monster/etc I have tried.  Very close to the PS Audio Power plant in terms of dynamics and clarity without the cost and wasted electricity.

Another thing to check out is the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Power Director, or UPC-200.  They are passive devices.  I haven't heard any but the UO's get good reviews.

You guys might want to think about the upcoming broadband-over-power-lines initiative.  It's going to f*ck with our audio rigs, and all current power conditioners except the PS Audio Power Plant won't filter the RF injections out...  I'm going to do some more research before I jump to the Hydra or keep saving for a Power Plant.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 06:26:28 AM »
For cheap power conditioners, try the ppowervar and oneac units off of ebay.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Jason B

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 10:31:18 PM »
Thanks fo all of the help. Right now, I seem to be leaning towards a Panamax (5410 or 5510 on EBAY). It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it may be worth it. I will do some more research next week and then make a decision. +T to all...
B. Kirby

Go Panamax Brad. Excellent units.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 08:05:46 AM »
so what about this one..? is this more of a conditioner..?

http://www.furutech.com/new1/produ_2.asp?ProdNo=4&noCache=76429.14

and what is the difference between it and this one...

http://www.furutech.com/new1/produ_2.asp?ProdNo=126&noCache=76429.14

you can buy the former one here:

http://www.audionut.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=195
-macdaddy ++

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2005, 10:04:09 AM »
so what about this one..? is this more of a conditioner..?

http://www.furutech.com/new1/produ_2.asp?ProdNo=4&noCache=76429.14

and what is the difference between it and this one...

http://www.furutech.com/new1/produ_2.asp?ProdNo=126&noCache=76429.14

Looks like the e-TP80E one is the european model
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 11:06:20 AM »
As mentioned on another thread, the furutech stuff is a passive (not inline) EMI filter.  The inside of the boxes are coated with an electromagnetic wave "absorber" of sorts--at least, that is how I understand it.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 07:22:55 PM »
As mentioned on another thread, the furutech stuff is a passive (not inline) EMI filter.  The inside of the boxes are coated with an electromagnetic wave "absorber" of sorts--at least, that is how I understand it.

so in other words, it is not a true conditioner, either..?

thanks for the info.

-macdaddy ++

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2005, 08:07:28 PM »
If you want something to cut noise but not be in the AC path, Blue Circle makes a conditioner that plugs into an outlet and it drains the noise off the AC lines.

http://www.bluecircle.com/index.php?menu_id=1755

I never tried one but I read lots of posts recommending them on various boards.  It might be as simple as some high voltage caps to pass HF to ground.  Several posts I read recommended buying a few of them and installing one into the same outlet as each noise source to prevent that noise from getting back to the breaker panel.  It's a clever idea and one that would not impede the current on the circuit that feeds the playback system.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2005, 08:41:12 AM »
Interesting, I have never seen that BlueCircle device.  The video was intriguing, but seemed a little hokey--almost as if the sound was turned off at the same time the device was plugged in.  This is not to say the device is a sham, just that it looked hokey to me  :D

I have always wanted to get a hold of a Fluke meter that can measure power line noise.  That would be *fascinating* to watch at different times of day.  Too damn expensive to buy one just for that, tho!  One of these days I'm hoping to come across a generous electrician who likes to be paid in beer  ;D

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2005, 12:38:35 PM »
wayne has a new one that he is offerring @ boldercables....

item description

$640 @ boldercables.com

related discussion
-macdaddy ++

BobW

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2005, 07:12:34 PM »
wayne has a new one that he is offerring @ boldercables....

item description

$640 @ boldercables.com

related discussion

Nice design !

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 08:07:38 AM »
I just ordered bpt bp1 from Wayne, I can't wait!  The equitech and bpt units are the only ones he feels are fit for digital amps that do not limit dynamics at this price FYI.

Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com