Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B&W Dealers  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: B&W Dealers
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2005, 01:11:33 PM »
I know that there are quite a few other opinions but for that budget you could get a Bel Canto 2.0 DAC for 800 and a Jolida tube integrated for less than 700.  That would make a nice 2 two channel front.  You'd get the sick upsampling and get some warmth from the tubes.   I think that warmth would complement the B&Ws.  I had an amp with EL34s and I really loved it's sound.  There is a 302B on agon right now that would be in your range with enough money left over for the bel canto.  I think the 302B does not have theater pass through mode but after you figure out where the 302's volume control should be to match the rest of the speakers, then it's trivial to get close enough for a good match when you watch HT.

I can't remember who here has it but someone has or has access to a Jolida.

Honestly, I think the best thing you could do is hang some panels in that room.  For about $150 in materials, you can hang 6 24"x48" panels with a fabric cover that is close to the color of your walls.  They weigh very little so you can use medium duty picture hangers and it would not hose your plaster.  I've got all the tools and adhesive you would need. 

edited for grammer
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 01:14:11 PM by El Barto »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 01:23:42 PM »
thanks for the suggestion.  room treatments would be good, but given that i'm likely to move in the next few months, i'm not all that likely to do anything like that right now.  more looking for long term suggestions.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2005, 02:41:02 PM »
I know that there are quite a few other opinions but for that budget you could get a Bel Canto 2.0 DAC for 800 and a Jolida tube integrated for less than 700.  That would make a nice 2 two channel front.  You'd get the sick upsampling and get some warmth from the tubes.   I think that warmth would complement the B&Ws.  I had an amp with EL34s and I really loved it's sound. 

You basically just described my system, only I have the asl and not a jolida...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2005, 07:35:51 PM »
You basically just described my system, only I have the asl and not a jolida...

I thought about ASL because of your posts, but I looked on audiogon and the ASL units were just over the suggested budget if he gets a Bel Canto DAC.   If the budget were 1750, then it looks like several ASL models would be in range.

I do think that an integrated is a good choice for getting into tubes.  I've always tried to use separates from the same designer for preamp and amp to minimize the chance of a mismatch between the components.  The benefit of the integrated is that the pre and amp are already a good match.  You don't need interconnects so that saves some money.  I know the argument that separates benefit from each stage having an isolated power supply, but if the power supply of the integrated amp is well designed then it should sound great. 

Hey Damon, there is a place in McLean called Deja Vu Audio (http://www.dejavuaudio.com).  They have some nice gear and you can check out the jolida units there.  I heard a Jolida (with some Spendors I think) and it sounded pretty good.  They have always been nice to me when I go there and they will let you listen for as long as you want.  I took in a MPP Panic show and the guy was really excited to hear it so we listened to the entire second set just hanging out in the basement room. 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2005, 08:46:59 PM »
Go with the tubes, you won't regret it.  There are a number of affordable tube integrated amps availabe from Jolida, ASL and Cayin which would fit nicely into your budget depending on which DAC you went with.  If it were me I'd be more inclinded to spend a larger portion on the amp end and then upgrade the DAC later.

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2005, 08:28:43 AM »
ok, can't do this for a while until i start working again and figure out where i'm moving, but help me out a little bit.

as I read your post, I need to add (aside from a sub--that comes later, there is no place to really put one right now) a 2 channel pre w/HT passthrough and a 2 channel amp.  now would the 2 channel amp always be active (ie, it would still be used even during HT usage) correct? 
That is correct.  You add a 2-channel pre w/theatre passthrough and a 2-channel power amp.  And you are correct--the signal during HT usage would go DVD > Receiver (pre-out L/R) > 2-channel pre > 2-channel power amp.

what suggestions do you have to get this set up?  I would like to do it for less than $1500 if possible.
Some of the 2-channel preamps that I know of with theatre passthrough are the McCormack RLD-1, any newer Audio Research pre (see arcdb.ws for specifics), and some Carys.  I am sure there are others.  You absolutely couldn't go wrong with the setup I had: McCormack RLD-1 > McCormack DNA-125.  I ran it for years with my B&W N805's, and then later with my ProAc D25's.  The McCormack gear was an asbolutely SMASHING match for B&Ws.  It has plenty of grip (B&Ws seem to like to be taken by the scruff of the neck and shaken), and McCormack's stuff is an awesome combination of the musicality of tubes and the dynamic prowess of solid state. 

does anything about HT performance or 2 channel performance?  2 channel performance would be more important, obviously, but i don't want to totally sacrifice HT performance.
HA!  Think about it--you are now using your HT Receiver as a DAC...  And bypassing the subpar preamp section and usually limiting amp section by sending the signal to two excellent separates.  HELL YEAH it makes it sound better.  And the great thing is--you get this sound on HT *and* 2-channel.  It's a win-win all around for those of us who value music...

any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't know all that much about this and I do find a lot of this stuff pretty intimidating and this forum isn't always the most friendly... :P

EDIT to note that I would like to add a 2 channel DAC at some point, but it's not a priority, I like the DAC in the onkyo and the DAC in the marantz is adequate for my DAT right now.

Just a quick note here...  If you do what I do, you have your DVD player digital out hooked up to your HT Receiver.  This is used for movies and 24/96 as described above.  Then you take the ANALOG outs of your DVD/SACD/CDP and run them straight to your 2-channel preamp.  Now you're not using the passthrough at all for music--just using the 2-channel pre as in a dedicated hifi. 

I hope this is all making sense--it is a bit confusing at first but if you saw my rig you'd go "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  I get it!"

HTH

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com