Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tube Pre Suggestions . . .  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Nick S.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Gotta wear that coat
Tube Pre Suggestions . . .
« on: March 16, 2005, 08:59:57 PM »
Looking to pick up a nice tube pre for my home system.  Moving to a dedicated 2 channell system so no longer using the Denon's pre outs.  Current setup: Rotel 1030>B&W 804's

Looking for a $2000> pre, figured tubes would be a nice way to add some character to the system but am not tied down, so any opinions are fair game . . . also, a phono stage is not necessary, however would be nice for future vinyl use. . .

Nick
And your head is spinning from a loud guitar . . .

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Tube Pre Suggestions . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 09:58:06 PM »
CJ PV14L on agon right now for 1K.   I love mine.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 10:38:38 PM »
CJ PV14L on agon right now for 1K. I love mine.

Conrad Johnson was the first name I was going to post as well...

hey Nick - on a side note I wanted to mention the Grant Green album "Goin West" (with Herbie on piano) and "Green Street"... :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick S.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Gotta wear that coat
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 10:52:25 PM »
Thanks boys, and keep 'em coming . . .

Tim, I've been meaning to check out "Going west."  Though I have been turned on to "The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark"  awesome stuff, much in the vein of Green Street . . . though his Live at the Lighthouse stuff is awesome . . .

My guitar teacher recomended to me George Benson's "Beyond the Blue Horizon" a few years back and am still blown away.  Tim, go buy this album!  It's hard to find, but you can d/l on iTunes if you have access . . .

Anyways, enough jazz guitar fluffing   8)
And your head is spinning from a loud guitar . . .

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 11:18:36 PM »
back to your regularly scheduled programming 8)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 08:13:29 AM »
Good move!! 

I have been very happy with my ARC gear.  I recently decided to move from a SS pre (McCormack RLD-1) to a tubed pre and since I have an ARC amp I naturally auditioned the ARC preamp offerings.  I nailed it down to SP16 ($2500 new) vs. LS25 ($5500 new).  Big diff, yeah, but I could have grabbed a LS25 for about $4400 as it was a CES demo.  I listened for hours and came to the conclusion I actually preferred the SP16.  Shocking to me, as I do believe this is the first time I've picked the *cheapest* piece of gear I was auditioning :)

What it boiled down to was the SP16 appealed to my heart and the LS25 appealed to my head.  The LS25 was very impressive, very hifi.  The SP16 made me want to listen to disc after disc...  Now the SP16 had some shortcomings, notably that the images were fuzzier and less distinct, the soundstaging wasn't as vast, and it wasn't as detailed or as transparent.  In the end I decided not to buy either and to keep looking.

Then a perfect, as-new SP16 with phono fell on my lap for the silly price of $1300.  OK, I'll play with that for awhile.

I've had it for about a month now, and after tube rolling a gazillion 12AX7s I have found this pre to be nothing short of EXCELLENT and a true bargain in hifi.  Want better soundstaging and more distinct images, like the LS25?  Drop in some Ei Elites, Telefunkens, or some 50s Mullards...  Want a romantic, lush sound?  Leave the stock EH's in, or roll in some 70s Mullards.  Want clear as a bell?  Telefunken.

In short, you can play up the strengths and reinforce the weaknesses quite easily.  It will always be more tubey sounding than the LS25, but in my book this is a GOOD thing.

Others to look at are CJ, as mentioned, and I think Rogue is worth a look as well.  I haven't had much experience outside of a recent listening, but I was intrigued.  And it's well-priced, too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com