Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SIMA "Jb3 AC/DC adapter"  (Read 16543 times)

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
Re: New Jb3 AC/DC adapter
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2005, 03:29:22 PM »
okay i've been searching and thinking to find a way to power the jb3 for festivals this year. i am going to try using these adapters w/ a SLA 12v battery. so far i have grabbed the sima adapter and an SLA 12v battery, which i am waiting for in the mail. once they arrive it's off to radio shack hopefully by next week i'll have everything up and running to test ;D thanks for the info and ideas. +t's around.
ps: i did get the SUP-2. i agree, the only difference is a couple of extra adapters.

Offline jsfrank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2005, 12:47:42 PM »
Has anyone used this to be able to use eco-charge 6 volts? Where can I get the cable to go from the eco-charge to this unit?

I bought my JB3 3 months ago on ebay, but it didn't even have an internal battery.
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2005, 02:13:31 PM »
Couple questions. I picked up the sima universal adapter set it for 5v and plugged in my jb3 which i have running through a sla 6v 12ah with a cig adapter on it running through the sima adapter. Question is my jb3 acts really weird, slow reacting and it will not shut down with the sla plugged in. Anyone else had this happen. Another question with the sima set at 5v 1.9ah or 4.2v 2.0ah the jb3 asks for 2.4ah 5v, which do you think is better?

You mention you are using a 6v sla, I thought to do what you are doing you need to use a 12v version. Something about not enough of a voltage difference in a 6v to be able to step down properly to what the JB3 needs. You should try switching to a 12v that should fix your problems. I myself use the sima and have had no problems using it with a 9.6v RC battery (with the SUP-1 set at 5v).

bingo man!

a standard cig lighter in an automobile is 12v, youre using a 6v sla
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
Re: SIMA "Jb3 AC/DC adapter"
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2005, 01:01:22 PM »
okay i got a real n00b question here: i purchased a Power Sonic SLA 12 volt battery new from ebay. i have yet to get a charger for this battery but plan to bring it to summer camp next week to power just my JB3. from reading a couple other threads around here, i think a fully charged 12 volt SLA battery can provide the JB3 w/ approx. 10-12hrs of run time. can i still expect this type of run time during the batteries first cycle?

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2005, 01:23:23 PM »
Has anyone used this to be able to use eco-charge 6 volts? Where can I get the cable to go from the eco-charge to this unit?

I bought my JB3 3 months ago on ebay, but it didn't even have an internal battery.

I first tried mine with a 6v and the sima adaptor and my jb3 seems to act really weird, sluggish and doesn't respond well.  I ordered a 12v sla and just waiting for it to get here to test it out
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2005, 03:24:30 PM »

it has been posted many times already,  6volt is not enough juice for the converter box to work with use 9volt or higher

Once again I would like to point out to folks if your running and external battery without at least one internal battery In it , YOUR DOING SO AT YOUR OWN RISK
Personally I would call you crazy , cause if your external battery pack dies you just lost your recording/s . Thats why I say your crazy to not run at least one internal battery.  So that if the external dies it will flip over to your internal and allow you keep recording , or shut down the Jb3 safely hence not loosing your recording (the Jb3 simply thinks it has been unplugged from the wall wart or car adapter)

I see folk's post all the time about "dont use the internal while using an external
" BULLSHIT I say"

I have done so for over a year now. If you cant remember to fully charge the internals,  then yes it is going to try to charge the internal JB3 batterys off the external battery , But if your smart enough to charge the internals in the Jb3 , your golden ..
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline hzgone

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2005, 10:06:17 PM »
ok i got my 12v battery today and charged it up.  Hooked up the JB3 with a full battery.  1.  The jb3 worked smooth, no jitter like on the 6v.   2.  No charging of the internal bat.  Can't wait to use this setup at summercamp.  The 12v i got should run the whole weekend with no problem.  Would like to get a smaller 12v for around town but it's going to be sweet for a weekend of music

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline momule

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2005, 12:24:49 AM »
Just to update ,
I have ran the DVD-U2003 (ESA 9volt 5400 Lithium)>Sima1 & wallmart version (powerline model 0900-21) for over 4 hours with no prob's.

Running the AKG483> UA-5 And 2 Jb3's

Nick

Offline el gato

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2005, 01:08:43 PM »
Just to update ,
I have ran the DVD-U2003 (ESA 9volt 5400 Lithium)>Sima1 & wallmart version (powerline model 0900-21) for over 4 hours with no prob's.

Running the AKG483> UA-5 And 2 Jb3's

Nick

How did you hook the battery up to the sima? did you use the cig adapter or use an adaptaplug in the back? 

I have a sima sup-2 and when I try the adaptaplug in the back it freezes the battery.  I  then have to reset the battery by plugging it back into the wall.  Just curious as to what the dc input on the sup1 is.  The input on the sup2 is 12-15v dc. 

Do you think using the cig adapter will alleviate this issue?

Thanks

Offline momule

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2005, 02:25:18 PM »
How did you hook the battery up to the sima? did you use the cig adapter or use an adaptaplug in the back? 

I have a sima sup-2 and when I try the adaptaplug in the back it freezes the battery.  I  then have to reset the battery by plugging it back into the wall.  Just curious as to what the dc input on the sup1 is.  The input on the sup2 is 12-15v dc. 

Do you think using the cig adapter will alleviate this issue?

Thanks

1: Is your battery fully charged
2: Are you sure you have it wired correctly to the SUP-2
(I have not used the SUP-2 But I know others have)

My battery rig goes like this

again I have 3 jb3s and have NEVER had one lock up on me using this setup , But then again I charge my batterys before trying to run it too .

I bought a Coiled adapta-plug lead Similar to this one , (mine is coiled however)
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F001%5F004&product%5Fid=273%2D1641
I then hacked off the male end (the one with points) It then terminates into a Couple of RC connectorson that end . the other end (female end) has a "B" adapta-plug on it that Plugs into the front of the Lithium battery)   this is simply the lead plug if ya will.

I then took this,
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F002%5F006&product%5Fid=270%2D1527
 and hacked off the Clips and wired on an RC connector

Then I use the Cigarette plug On either the Sima or Initial ( I wanted to be able to still charge my JB3 in the car If I wanted, so I didnt hack mine off.)

I also picked up one of these http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F002%5F002&product%5Fid=270%2D1535
which allows me to run both The Initial and sima boxes at the same time powering TWO jb3's , and  no hacking needed. Just plug it in if ya wanna run 2 Jb3s instead of one.  (The Lithium has powered my rig for 4 hours running this setup. And the SLA Much longer)

the other Plug from the battery Lead goes straight to the UA-5 (using a "m" adapta-plug) . With a 3amp fuse in line of course  ;)

Hope this explains it a bit more in detail.
Nick
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 02:33:24 PM by Momule »

Offline el gato

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2005, 02:59:21 PM »
That answered my question, thanks

DOH!!!!  I just figured out what I did wrong.  I used my spare UA5 batt cable and forgot that I have the polarity reversed.  I switched the tip and it worked.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 03:08:14 PM by el gato »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2005, 07:12:52 PM »
i am new and confussed here :)
so this "charger/battery" does it have a battery built into it?
or do you put a battery into it and it charges/converts the power for you?

i am looking for a JB3 power supply thats going to work good and hopfully be cheaper then a 2nd battery, let me have less heat in the JB3 itself

edit ok i figured out you still need a battery for this one
but the powerline i am unsure on
if anyolne can link me to a battery that goes along with this power convertor that would be good, they didn't have anything at my walmart and the girl working didn't know if they ever did/do
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 08:24:26 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline hzgone

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2005, 08:56:13 PM »
I think i understand your question.  The other battery you are looking for is a 12v sla.  Then you connect that to the sima box and the sima to your jb3.  The sima converts the sla to work with the jb3.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2005, 09:32:34 PM »
I think i understand your question.  The other battery you are looking for is a 12v sla.  Then you connect that to the sima box and the sima to your jb3.  The sima converts the sla to work with the jb3.
thanks
whats sla stand for? EDIT Sealed Lead Acid :)

and if you know about the power runneris that the same as the sima?
you connect the 12vsla and the jb3?
my understanding is that the power runner has a battery built in--if thats the case it seems like a better idea then having a batter run into the sima, correct???
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 10:49:05 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Morphius

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2005, 07:50:45 PM »
Why do some people say to not run an internal battery on the jb3 while providing external power?  The only possible reason I can come up with would be a possibility of overheating if your "homebrew" battery isn't up to snuff.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com