Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ? Speakers (& amp).........  (Read 2768 times)

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
? Speakers (& amp).........
« on: March 18, 2005, 06:27:32 PM »
There aren't many auditioning opportunities in my area, so I need some input.  I need a new pair of speakers and an amp.  The thing is, it's sort of temporary (as in a year or two).  I have speakers and an amp picked out for the future, but with buying a house and whatnot...I need to take a route that's a lighter on the wallet for the time being...although not too limited (<$3500).

Would prefer to buy new.  Eventually going tube.
Speakers: Two channel for music and video.  Prefer no sub.  Filling larger space.

I don't get off on speakers that force you into too narrow of a sweet spot.  Too many speakers create a "boxed in" soundfield...whereas it seems that nothing's happening outside a certain area.  Would like to avoid that.

Any specific ideas?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 07:00:43 PM by tc »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: ? Speakers (& amp).........
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 06:57:04 PM »
speakers, I'm going to say a pair of Von Schwiekert VR-2's would fit the bill...

that should leave you $1250 or so to get an amp with. there are some very nice integrated tube amps available at that price if you don't want to wait to go tube.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 07:10:10 PM »
speakers, I'm going to say a pair of Von Schwiekert VR-2's would fit the bill...

that should leave you $1250 or so to get an amp with. there are some very nice integrated tube amps available at that price if you don't want to wait to go tube.

I can't comment on the Von Schwiekerts, but I'd definately recommend checking out one of the budget integrated tube amps.  I love my PrimaLuna and there are a number of amps from ASL and Jolida which should fit into your budget.

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 10:29:47 PM »
VMPS 626r's with all the upgrades.  I just ordered mine!  http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 10:50:36 AM »
Don't wait to go tubed, or you'll spend the next few years after going tubes wondering why you wasted so much of your life with a "stopover sand amp."

;D

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 12:24:41 PM »
Thanks for the tips (+t)...basically just looking for some hold-me-over gear that isn't a cheap, rip off and that also has resale value.  The amp I can come up with.  It's the speakers that are troubling...not being able to go and listen to find what I want.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 01:40:06 PM »
 Manley Stingray integrated tube amp > VR2s...would put a smile on anyones face, me thinks.
There are several people here on this board who bought VR2s, w/o ever hearing them...and I think everyone has been quite happy.
I was one myself.

thats my $.02
but for stupid cheap money,
Sony 2000es amp > decent monitors
maybe $12-500 ...depending on speakers  I think this would be hard to beat.

***edit****
hey, I pimped myself out on this post.
as I re-read it later on...I find it doesnt sit right
with me.  I wont do that again.  -T to me.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 08:47:35 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 01:39:59 AM »
No big deal Nick, if you can score people great deals on solid gear... then by all means pimp away, IMHO.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 06:56:36 AM »
thanks...but I still cringe when I see other people do it...so I wont myself. 

as for value, then you should buy everything in this "hold over stereo" used.

for example, the componants I lsted...there are both of these (stingray > vr2) available on adiogon.  Looks like you could score them both for around $2800 used.
You could do that...run them for the next 2 years and then sell them fair and square as the "2nd ownder" for what you paid for them, with some wiggle room to haggle or offer a better deal.
Say you sold them as a package for $2500.  a GREAT stereo for the investment.  It cost you $300 to run it for two years.
thats value.

Offline Frank M

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 11:26:27 AM »
I don't get off on speakers that force you into too narrow of a sweet spot.  Too many speakers create a "boxed in" soundfield...whereas it seems that nothing's happening outside a certain area.  Would like to avoid that.

Any specific ideas?

As mentioned before: Von Schweikert.  The VR-4's are exceptional when it somes to creating a wide soundstage that doesn't collapse or change significantly when you move off center.  You have to get pretty close to one of the towers before the sound collapses.  A used pair of first-generation VR-4's run about $1,500 (were ~$3,500 new).  These speakers also respond very well to bi-amping: tubes on the mid/tweeters, SS on the woofers.  I've had mine for about 10 years and have no desire to replace them--they're the perfect loudspeaker for my tastes.

ADK A51TL ---> blah blah blah ---> Von Schweikert VR-4 ---> my ears

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com