Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: my new speakers are ordered  (Read 8069 times)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
my new speakers are ordered
« on: March 19, 2005, 04:45:28 PM »

I finally made up my mind.  The picture above is basically what they are.  I ordered them with upgraded piano black finish, auricaps in the crossovers, midwoofer upgrade, front side tweeter upgrade, and my favortie option of all, they are being fully wired internally with Bolder Nitro wire to match my speaker cables.  They are being built from scratch as Wayne is sending Brian at http://www.vmpsaudio.com some nitro for the wiring.  My bank account hates me, but damn am I excited!

The model is VMPS audio 626r "Daryan edition" as they are pretty much one of a kind. 

Cheers!

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: my new speakers are ordered
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 05:48:58 PM »
Quick, change to black ash!  Piano black is so hard to keep clean and scratch free!  I have found the microfiber cloth to work best.

sc.

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 06:20:22 PM »
They are reminiscent of props from return of the jedi. ;)  Congrats...

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 07:29:24 PM »
The choices for the upgrade and piano black, african ebony abds that was about it.  I can't keep anything clean, so I am not sure if that is much of a consideration.  Wayne told me the African Ebony doesn't match, as in the grains aren't the same.  HMMM

Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 10:51:46 AM »
I'm not a stickler for book-matched grain between speakers.  I'd go for the wood.

Offline Frank M

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 03:48:33 PM »
What amp are you pairing them with?  Beware bright-sounding solid-state amps!  I would imagine the tweeter and midrange drivers are extremely revealing.

ADK A51TL ---> blah blah blah ---> Von Schweikert VR-4 ---> my ears

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 03:56:45 PM »
Where is the bass gonna come from? ;D  It's hard to tell from the photo what the scale of the whole thing is.  Are those 4" mid / woofers?
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 06:03:58 PM »
For the moment, and this changes frequently, I am pairing them with a fully modified bolder cable panasonic xr-45.  This is Wayne's refrence system out in Colorado, and I imagine the detail is just incredible.  Digital amps are extremely bright sounding until the mods IMHO.  If it sucks, I will simply sell the panny and go tube perhaps, we will see.  They best pair well for 2600 clams!

More info, albeit the website sucks, is at http://www.vmpsaudio.com

Daryan

Offline Trevor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • 4021>V3
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 06:29:47 PM »
Ha!  I would have sold you mine! 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 07:32:10 AM »
And as of this second, paid for!!!  The wait while they are being built is KILLING me, two weeks from today I will get a 50 pound package at the office.  What to do until then...hmm!

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 07:37:08 AM »
nice d!

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 07:39:39 AM »
$2600 for those?  They look like a bookshelf speaker?  I'm sure they're kick ass but for $2600 I'd want something more like this  ;D  :

"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 08:06:46 AM »
Me too...does it fit in my living room? ;D

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 08:03:56 PM »
They shipped today, bout fuggin time ;D ;D ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 09:11:31 PM »
nice d!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 01:22:30 PM »
The wait is killing me...watching the ups tracker in the morning bugs the living hell out of me.  Anyone want some sweet spot fob yonder from last night?  Only aud rig since Folske and crew ran from the board.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 08:27:35 AM »
OK, quick mini review with pics coming later this evening.  These are by far, the best purchase I have ever made in my all encompassing audio wprld carreer.  They absolutely smoke.  They are heads, heels, you name it above any other speaker I have EVER heard, and I have auditioned quite a few.  The detail from the tweeter is so sweet, spacious, etc, it's like a veil has been lifted off of my recordings.  Listening to my 24/48 yonder show from last week was one of the sweetest musical experiences I have ever had.  The attack and transients of the acoustic stuff is incredible.  I will post something far more detailed this evfening, but rest assurred, if you want to hear these, DO so! 

Refrence system for what it is worth is now:

BPT 1.5 modified power conditioner, all bolder nitro wiring, upgraded outlets, addition of ers cloth etc.  Very similar to the signature models except I did all of this myself at about 1/3rd the cost.

Modified by Bolder Panansonic XR-45

Bolder Nitro Speaker cabling

Cryotweaks refrence digital cable

lots of tweaks, isolation pads, spikes, bybee's, zsleeves etc.

Regards ;D

Daryan

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 02:46:01 PM »
Give me a negative, doesn't matter :P

I will post pics later, I think you will be impressed all.  They are truly works of art.  The cabinets are Mark Schrifter designs, of av123.com rocket/onix fame.

Daryan

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 02:57:13 PM »
I will post pics later

If you can't post pictures because you are at work and your new-less-than-24hr-old speakers are at home, you clearly misunderstand the intended use of sick leave.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 03:03:36 PM »
I will post pics later

If you can't post pictures because you are at work and your new-less-than-24hr-old speakers are at home, you clearly misunderstand the intended use of sick leave.

;D

+T
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 06:22:23 PM »
I was sick yesterday, I have had them since Tuesday night ;D

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 06:28:49 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 06:30:40 PM by negativetwothousand »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2005, 06:29:23 PM »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 06:31:39 PM »
Check out my troll I still have from 4th grade in the first picture ;D :o

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 09:27:25 PM »
Is the extreme speaker toe-in due to posing for pics, or for some other necessity?

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2005, 09:42:06 PM »
According to the placement directions from brian who made these suckers, he told me they should be aimed approximately 2 feet in fron of the listening position.  Seeing as my room is 15 x 15, that's what I have to do.

Daryan

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2005, 11:16:27 PM »
Interesting - thanks.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2005, 09:27:50 AM »
Check out the setup link at
http://www.vmpseurope.com

I imagine that would explain it.  I need to get some toy lasers so I can be a little more definate on positioning, as my ears are still adjusting.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2005, 04:26:56 PM »
I need to get some toy lasers so I can be a little more definate on positioning, as my ears are still adjusting.

Steps for using a laser to determine proper speaker setup:

1) afix a laser to the top of each speaker so that the laser beam projects parallel to the axis of the drivers
2) the listener should assume the intended listening position and have a helper adjust the speakers while monitoring the point where each laser strikes
3) when the listener's eyes are both burning, the speakers are properly aligned
4) enjoy
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2005, 04:34:42 PM »
well, the other senses, such as hearing, do become enhanced when none of the others is lost. so maybe your onto something?
theres a tweak!

and it would definitely be a blind comparison!  ;D (sorry, that was awful  ::) )
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 04:37:49 PM by Diamond_D »
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2005, 04:54:23 PM »
 ;D

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2005, 12:34:11 PM »
Here's a deal on the RMS40's if anyone is interested... (No they're not mine  :-[)

$2,400 OBO

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1119720298

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2005, 03:06:48 PM »
They are sweet, but you need a big room for them to sound good, which unfortunately I don't have.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2005, 10:17:03 PM »
I was asked to post a a small review:

I just wanted to make a quick post to say how much I have enjoyed my new purchase from VMPS.  I ordered a pair of vmps 626r's with all the fillings, minus the tnt's which I substituted for auricaps.  They are piano black in color.  I reallly don't have a ton of refrence, but these are the most incredible sounding speakers I have ever heard.  My room is quite small at the moment, and the ultimate plan is to send these to the rear.  But regardless, I have never in all my life thought that music and sound could sound like it does out of these speakers.  I have been recording live music for about 6 years as a hobby, and that is what I use as refrence because well, that's what I like.  I connected my fostex fr-2 field recorder to my bolder modified panasonic xr-45.  It is all accoustic type bluegrass music.  Needless to say, the top end of the banjo, acoustic guitar, and mandolin revealed detail I never even thought was possible.  I was honestly taken back to the same time and moment that was two weeks ago.  I felt like I was there, and that my friends is the greatest comliment I can muster when it comes to live recording.   I bought these on a whim, listening to Wayne at Bolder tell me how good these things were, and sight unseen, forked over the check and hoped for the best.  Anyway, this has been the greatest audio experience of all time, and I just wanted to thank Wayne and Brain personally and publically.  I look forward and reccomend working with them in the future.

As soon as I move, the 626r's are moving to the rear, and the order for the elixir's is being placed :D

Finally, my system is modest, but:

Fostex fr-2 field recorder, canare aes transformer
Toshiba self hot-rodded with blackgates 4960
Bolder HT mod with dual bybee's Panasonic XR-45
Bolder Cryo Nitro speaker cables
Cryotweaks digi cable
VMPS 626r's with soundcoat, auricaps, megawoofers, black paino etc.
BPT 1.5
some isolation for components and cork pads under speakers
on stands 24" high
And finally, all plugged into BPT 1.5 with litz wiring and some other kind of shielding!

Regards and thanks

Daryan Lenz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.139 seconds with 59 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com