Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: toshiba 3960 - flakier than 15 year old valley girl  (Read 21041 times)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: toshiba 3960 - flakier than 15 year old valley girl
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2005, 03:56:33 PM »
Thanks.  Was the 4900 stock as well?

Yes, the 4900 was stock as well.  My brother is far from an audiophile so I didn't bother explaining to him the virtues of an upgraded power supply or chassis dampening.  :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 06:03:23 PM by Nick Culbreth »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2005, 03:59:19 PM »
THanks.  I've been considering purchasing a cheap shitty DVD player for a bedroom system (like $40) - but, if this is a seriously kick ass item, and Best Buy has it for $49, I might as well get one for my main system!  It sounds like it will totally crush my current cdp.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2005, 04:02:11 PM »
THanks.  I've been considering purchasing a cheap shitty DVD player for a bedroom system (like $40) - but, if this is a seriously kick ass item, and Best Buy has it for $49, I might as well get one for my main system!  It sounds like it will totally crush my current cdp.

Try it out, if isn't what you are looking for then you can return it to Best Buy with minimum hassle.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 04:04:59 PM by Nick Culbreth »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2005, 04:03:31 PM »
exactly.  Consumer loan!  I'd prolly keep it anyways, I mean, I was going to buy a total POS anyways.  I guess I always thought the toshiba was at least a hundo...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2005, 05:34:56 PM »
would you say that even w/o the mods?

yes.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2005, 05:43:29 PM »
Apparently the toshiba 4960 is a rebadged samsung dvd unit:  

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100799&highlight=toshiba+3960

I know my music hall cd-25 is also a rebadged unit, let me see if i can find the link for that as well.  It seems that quite a few audiophile-like sources are coming out of China at rock bottom prices.  Too bad the shipping costs far outweigh the potential cost savings.

A little older, but interesting nonetheless:  http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64834&highlight=toshiba+3960

I'm gonna go dig more info up on mods in case anyone is interested...

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline George

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2005, 06:02:35 PM »
That's precisely my point.  On the other hand, i have my doubts that it sounds better "than a lot of players that approach 10x its price."

I hear this all the time about equipment of all kinds; amps, cd players, tube amps and anything else under the sun.  In most cases the people who say such things are proved wrong or at least the weight of their reviews are diminished over time as many people who bought into the hype start to see that these claims are full of hot air.  On the other hand, i've never owned a Toshiba unit so i can't rule it out as something i wouldn't mind trying out to see how it stacks up to my current source.  I'll go digging around head-fi and see how well the toshiba 3960 fares in comparison to other sources.  It's been discussed a lot at head-fi as well. 

If you have have no experience with the unit why are you even commenting?  From what I've read your only contribution to this discussion is that your source is SOOOO much better and you doubt the the Toshiba could stack up.  Did I miss anything?

I didn't say my unit is better anywhere in this thread.  No where.  Mind reading all my comments?  You'll see that i haven't done anything to bait an argument, just posting my opinion based on experiences and at the beginning i was being tongue in cheek and that didn't seem to come through at all.  I even disclosed (maybe not early enough) that i never owned one of these Toshiba units.  What i said is that he could do better for the money based on the equipment he (Tim) owns, based from the list he provided.  I don't think my tone of writing is coming off as hostile or condescending. 

If you post something, expect people to post their opinions, whether or not you'll agree with them, there's no need to throw a fit.  I doubt the hype behind the toshiba based on past experiences of owning similar budget equipment, that's why i decided to chime in.  I'm not looking to be a jerk about it, just discussing other options.  What i've read at head-fi from people who have more experience with source swapping is that the toshiba is good, but not a stellar unit like other people are making it sound like.  People who come from cheap, low quality sources naturally feel the Toshiba decks are a great deal. 

However, it sounds like a highly mod-able unit and that definitely is appealing for these bargain toshiba's.  I like players that can be modded and i'll admit it sounds like an appealing unit, but the fact that its acting up is disturbing. 

i ran a search for Toshiba 3960 on head-fi, here's all the hits:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/search.php?searchid=678031

Some mention other models close to it for a similar price.  I still think it sucks that the Toshiba unit Tim owns is acting up.  I still feel that sources should funtion perfectly for an extended period of time.

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2005, 06:05:05 PM »
I made a small mistake in my previous post, my brother's player is a Toshiba 4900 and not the 4960.  The subsequent posts were modified for clarity.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2005, 06:54:59 PM »
the samsung HD841 and the toshiba 4960 are just rebadged units

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2005, 09:06:33 PM »
to say "you get what you pay for" w/the 3960 is foolish.
you get A LOT more than you paid for, but only in the sound out of the deck.  Certainly not in the construction quality of a $60 DVD player.  But it sounds better than a lot of players that approach 10x its price.

I mean if you consider thats less then a person would spend in a night out drinking if the thing dies in a year you still got way more than your moneys worth

;D
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2005, 09:11:59 PM »
Yup. It seems to me that you get your moneys worth, as long as you keep in mind you didn't spend a shitload of money... just remember you didn't pay for the lexus of players, you paid about as much as you'd pay for any POS dvd player.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline George

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2005, 10:03:44 PM »
Yup. It seems to me that you get your moneys worth, as long as you keep in mind you didn't spend a shitload of money... just remember you didn't pay for the lexus of players, you paid about as much as you'd pay for any POS dvd player.

Well said!  +T

Edited:  It seems that i'm being -T because I participated in this thread and may have offended someone with my words.  If that's the case, grow up.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Tim

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2005, 04:19:02 PM »

Well said!  +T

Edited: It seems that i'm being -T because I participated in this thread and may have offended someone with my words. If that's the case, grow up.

I think you're getting -T'd because

1. You whine... a lot
2. You have no experience whatsoever with this gear and continue to comment
3. You have a condescending attitude towards others on this board
4. You whine... a lot

I haven't -T'd you yet but I'm starting to think it could be fun to start since it seems to bother you so much.

You pulled this exact same crap with the Toshiba a few weeks ago when I posted a picture of my new amp and I handed you your ass then and thought that was the end of it. You mouthed off in this thread, I replied in a manner that I thought might convey to you that your input was not welcome and you couldn't take the hint. Maybe now you'll realize that I don't give a crap what you think about gear that you have never heard. If you're looking for a way to brag about your transport why don't you find a *positive* way to fluff your own gear instead of knocking other people's gear. It's really not that hard to show some deference or respect to other people but for some reason it seems to be impossible for you to participate in one of these threads without being completely condescending. You talk to people in here like we're a bunch of morons , no one in this thread believes that this $60 transport is the endall for high end redbook cd audio. Yet you act as though your prior experience with budget gear is giving you some tremendous insight about the quality of the Toshiba that everyone else seems to be missing. That is where you are wrong and that is where you become incredibly irritating.

You're the only person in the playback forum who acts that way and there are guys in here with systems that would lay waste to yours. Oddly enough though everyone else can discuss gear in a respectful manner, you seem to be the only one who thinks that his shit doesn't stink.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 05:05:39 PM by Tim »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline George

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2005, 11:06:05 PM »

Well said!  +T

Edited: It seems that i'm being -T because I participated in this thread and may have offended someone with my words. If that's the case, grow up.

I think you're getting -T'd because

1. You whine... a lot
2. You have no experience whatsoever with this gear and continue to comment
3. You have a condescending attitude towards others on this board
4. You whine... a lot

I haven't -T'd you yet but I'm starting to think it could be fun to start since it seems to bother you so much.

You pulled this exact same crap with the Toshiba a few weeks ago when I posted a picture of my new amp and I handed you your ass then and thought that was the end of it. You mouthed off in this thread, I replied in a manner that I thought might convey to you that your input was not welcome and you couldn't take the hint. Maybe now you'll realize that I don't give a crap what you think about gear that you have never heard. If you're looking for a way to brag about your transport why don't you find a *positive* way to fluff your own gear instead of knocking other people's gear. It's really not that hard to show some deference or respect to other people but for some reason it seems to be impossible for you to participate in one of these threads without being completely condescending. You talk to people in here like we're a bunch of morons , no one in this thread believes that this $60 transport is the endall for high end redbook cd audio. Yet you act as though your prior experience with budget gear is giving you some tremendous insight about the quality of the Toshiba that everyone else seems to be missing. That is where you are wrong and that is where you become incredibly irritating.

You're the only person in the playback forum who acts that way and there are guys in here with systems that would lay waste to yours. Oddly enough though everyone else can discuss gear in a respectful manner, you seem to be the only one who thinks that his shit doesn't stink.

I posted a reply in the thread i locked.  I couldn't pm you back.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2005, 02:16:33 PM »
my 4960 won't spin dvds/cds anymore.  it worked great for a couple of months tho.

I had this happen with mine once.  The chassis in the 4960 REALLY needs to be dampened, as it creates a lot of vibration.  Open the unit up, dampen it, then pull out the connecting ribbon and reattach it to the psb.  My guess is you will be golden.  Otherwise, the other answer is if the unit is still receiving power, there is a loose copnnection probably do to a bad solder joint somewhere.  I would take a look.  If it is entirely worthless to you, and you still have it, I will take it and fix it!

I am embarassed to ask this, since I've reviewed the Vinnie and Swenson mods, and searched audioasylum, headfi, and this forum for an answer, but...

How exactly does one "dampen" the chassis of a player?    I gather that it may/may not involve caulk and/or adhesive linoleum tile.  But where?  How?  Thanks!
Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com