Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's say I have $1500....  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Let's say I have $1500....
« on: April 05, 2005, 12:50:32 PM »
and I've already got a Toshiba 4960 and nothing else. What should I buy? I'm in the process of buying my first home (yeah!), and will have a dedicated listening room. Right now I own a fairly crappy $200 "home theater in a box" deal that will probably go in my bedroom.

Receiver? Amp? Speakers? DAC?

Interested to see what recommendations I get.

Oh yeah, and if anybody wants to throw in suggestions on a stand/rack to hold everything, that'd be great too.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 12:52:07 PM by Nick Graham »
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: Let's say I have $1500....
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 12:54:40 PM »
whats the size of the listening room? will it just be for audio or video too? I am in love with my von schensteinhertzschmidt vr-1s and they are plenty for the area I am listening in. Couple those with an integrated tube amp and your are good to go.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 12:57:02 PM »
I'll have to look at the specs to give you exact square footage, but it's somwhere between the size of a normal bedroom and living room. Maybe 15'x12'?

It'll be just for audio. I'm not a huge movie/DVD buff, so the big screen TV/DVD player will be in the living room.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 12:57:49 PM »
I would go $1000-1200 on speakers and the rest on a receiver/preamp.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 01:02:22 PM »
if larger room go b&w cdm7se (can be had used for $700-$900), my favorite speaker that I have owned thus far
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 02:12:27 PM »
Here are some speaker reccomendations:

Check audiogon for details:

Onix Ref  1's, truly the best you are going to do with this budget IMHO
Rocket rs750 signatures
Usher Audio floorstanders, whatever's in your price range
odyssey loreli's (sp)

Again, I am going to reiterate, if you are going this direction, get the 4960 modded, you will hear the differnce with any of the above. 

Amp wise, jvc frx-10, panasonic XR series, the new jvc hybrids, some of the newer icepower amps can be had around there if you want two channel, and I guess the sony everyone fluffs here though I haven't heard one and have heard they are a little briottle in the high end, but again, I haven't heard one.  Digital dvd with digital amp will be your best bet.  Search for any of these on audiocircle, lots of thread without the nonsense that is audioasylum. 

These are your best bang for the buck speakers.  I would put the ref1's up against just about anything, well, except the vmps audio stuff, but I think that's slightly out of your price range.

Regards

D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 05:11:36 PM »
If you have a Sony outlet near you, go and see if they've got an STR DA2000/3000ES. I got my 3000 for just over 500 with tax. You should be able to get a decent pair of speakers for 1K.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 05:30:51 PM »
Just to toss out another perspective:  I know you said that you aren't using this for video, but what about 5.1 or 7.1 surround audio?

If you think that you are interested in doing multichannel at some point, I would recommend that you audition speakers with that in mind and if you buy monitors get them in a line that you will want to get for the mains.   That way you put off the big mains purchase for a while and the monitors you get now can be your 5.1 rears later.

I have not heard the VR-1s but I have a pair of speakers from that line and I love them.  I think a used pair of VR1s (less than $700) and an integrated like the jolida 1501RC (one for $475 right now on agon) would give you a very satisfying 2-channel system and leave enough money for good cables.

Infact, if you buy that Jolida for $475 and don't like it after a couple of months, I'd take it off your hands for what you paid.   I have been wanting one for my office but I just bought some other crap so it has to wait.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 08:39:22 AM »
maggies are cheap... leaves $ for amp... I've really been loving my ASL integrated...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline jdh263

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 09:31:57 PM »
two words: harmon Kardon
amazing sound quality
i don't know what you could get for $1500, but i assure you it will sound amazing
Studio Projects C4 > MiAGi-II Silver Cables > Oade Digimod UA-5 (svu-1) > jb3

SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-1 > jb3

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 03:24:29 PM »
both the cd player and receiver i own from harman kardon broke down.  the cd player completely blew up and was replaced...now the drive motor is shot.  the video circuit on the receiver burned out.  i've since trashed the cd player and i use the receiver to power my computer monitors.  won't be buying any more of their shit ever.  and their sound quality is easily beat by other manufacturers...especially Denon.
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 03:46:44 PM »
both the cd player and receiver i own from harman kardon broke down.  the cd player completely blew up and was replaced...now the drive motor is shot.  the video circuit on the receiver burned out.  i've since trashed the cd player and i use the receiver to power my computer monitors.  won't be buying any more of their shit ever.  and their sound quality is easily beat by other manufacturers...especially Denon.

from what i have heard Harmon cardon USED to be a great company
the show is over go home please.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 06:55:59 AM »
$1500 for a screamer system in a 12x15 foot room.

speakers:  Monitors.  Von Schweikert VR1 is pretty awesome.  As are some Paradigm models, Epos, NHT ...there are some others that are very well recieved.  See if you can get last months Stereophile as it has an updated recomended componants list.

amp: lets suppose you spend $7-800 on speakers., leaving you w/around the same.
you could go the Sony route.  Not a bad option.
You could get a tube integrated for that kind of dough.  I'm sure that wouldnt' suck either, and your Toshiba probably passes a pretty good analog signal.

though the two would sound very different, you'd have a VERY hard time finding something that would rival the Sonys for image/detail/soundstage for this kind of money.
OTOH, the Sony wouldn't sound as lush or convey emotion like a nice tube amp does.
it all depends on what you like best in your reproduction.  me, i'm more into the things that the Sony does well.

fwiw...I can sell brand new VR1s for about $800, maybe a little less.  shipped.  They go for $600+ used when you can find them

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 09:41:16 AM »
How much can you sell the VR11's for Nick? :o
Those things must be amazing.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 10:52:35 AM »
How much can you sell the VR11's for Nick? :o
Those things must be amazing.

A LOT !!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com