Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Varying length LC3 cables?  (Read 10271 times)

Offline FunkyAvocado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Varying length LC3 cables?
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:26:04 PM »
Howdy-

Anyone know where I can get shorter length LC3 active cables(aroound 3' or 4') than the ones that came with my skm140 neumann set? Does Neumann carry them or someone custom? Cheers...

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Varying length LC3 cables?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 10:30:26 PM »
Howdy-

Anyone know where I can get shorter length LC3 active cables(aroound 3' or 4') than the ones that came with my skm140 neumann set? Does Neumann carry them or someone custom? Cheers...

you can get custom lengths. i had mine shortened at Neumann in CT. 

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline FunkyAvocado

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 09:10:19 AM »
Howdy-

you can get custom lengths. i had mine shortened at Neumann in CT. 

marc

Thanks Marc.. I have to swing down to New Haven today so I might as well stop in and say hello to them.. Cheers.

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 10:49:11 AM »
Fantastic!! It never even occored to me that could be done.  I've wished mine were about 3m long ever since I got them. How much did they charge for the shortening?
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline FunkyAvocado

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 12:06:39 PM »
I gave Neumann a ring as I got tied up with work and...

-If you want to change the length of your current LC3 cables, they will charge you $70(this is half hour service fee) to do it in-house in CT for two cables

-Buy two more cables and have the 5m changed to a new length-->$570.. Yowsers..

Cheers-K

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 12:17:06 PM »
While you're at it, consider having them make extention cables out of the remaining section of cable.  I had my Schoeps KC5 cables cut about in half.  With the 7.5' cable I can stealth more easily (with some slack) or still run them on a short stand at club shows, most seated venues, or clamping to a rail.  It's a really useful length I think.  And when I need the extra length, I've got the extentions on hand.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline FunkyAvocado

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 04:42:09 PM »
Hey Jason-

Did you use Lemo connectors when creating the extension?

Offline FunkyAvocado

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 07:51:15 PM »
While you're at it, consider having them make extention cables out of the remaining section of cable.  I had my Schoeps KC5 cables cut about in half.  With the 7.5' cable I can stealth more easily (with some slack) or still run them on a short stand at club shows, most seated venues, or clamping to a rail.  It's a really useful length I think.  And when I need the extra length, I've got the extentions on hand.

- Jason

Jason- Thanks for the great advice. I called Neumann back and sending my cables in. They are going to splice it where ever I want and attach lemo connectors on the spliced length so I can use my cables for stealth(4') or on a stand(full 16'). Cheers.K

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 09:10:25 PM »

Yup.  I have a Sonosax SX-M2/ls preamp which has the same LEMO connectors, so I plug my actives directly into the preamp, with or without the extentions.

Here's a photo of the shortened KC5 with LEMO connectors and the remaining section as an extention.

And here's a closeup of the LEMO connectors with one side plugged in, the other disconnected.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline FunkyAvocado

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 09:27:50 AM »
Great pics, thanks for the help jason!

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 01:35:26 AM »

Yup.  I have a Sonosax SX-M2/ls preamp which has the same LEMO connectors, so I plug my actives directly into the preamp, with or without the extentions.

Here's a photo of the shortened KC5 with LEMO connectors and the remaining section as an extention.

And here's a closeup of the LEMO connectors with one side plugged in, the other disconnected.

- Jason
wait, so this makes it so you don't need the KM100 bodies? if i have lemos put on the LC3s then it could go directly into a SX-M2/LS, nbox, etc, etc w/o using the bodies? is that what i'm hearing?
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Tim

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 01:38:55 AM »
yes that is exactly what you are hearing
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 09:04:32 AM »
how does the sound compare with and without the bodies using the same pre? anyone done a comp?
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 10:46:41 AM »
wait, so this makes it so you don't need the KM100 bodies? if i have lemos put on the LC3s then it could go directly into a SX-M2/LS, nbox, etc, etc w/o using the bodies? is that what i'm hearing?

Not exactly.  If you have lemos on the LC3s, it means you can run the caps (without the bodies) directly into a preamp designed to [1] accept the lemos, and [2] replace the bodies.  The NBox, for example, doesn't use lemo connectors, so you can't use your lemo LC3s with it.  The SX-M2/LS does have the lemos.  I'm not certain if the /LS is designed for ALL actives, or if the design is specific to manufacturer, i.e. whether an /LS purchased for use with Schoeps would also work with Neumann caps.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 10:57:52 AM »
lemosax works with the neumann's... I have the tapes to prove it :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com