Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Inexpensive Integrated Amplifier?  (Read 11050 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Inexpensive Integrated Amplifier?
« on: April 24, 2005, 03:58:37 PM »
Is there an concensus on a relatively inexpensive two channel pre-amp/amp for high quality playback?
Curently I have an Onkyo TX-910 reciever and a Parasound R/HD-600 receiver. I never use the receiver or the phono inputs.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Inexpensive Integrated Amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 04:12:18 PM »
the NAD units are pretty good for the money, guess it depends on what you mean by inexpensive.

the Sony Digital units are an option as well...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Chuck

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 04:21:07 PM »
the NAD units are pretty good for the money, guess it depends on what you mean by inexpensive.

In the $200 range is there anything?

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 04:24:20 PM »
onkyo is not all that bad,
I am running a onkyo integrated tuner amp(tx-8210) and I like it.
No it is not a denon or NAD or mcintosh...
It does a good job for what it is though.
Mine has received a mention in audiophile circles, not that I am going
to pass it off as audiophile gear yet I feel it is a great entry level
piece of equipment.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 04:24:51 PM »
off hand I don't know but check audiogon and ebay... you may get an older NAD for around there...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Chuck

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 04:33:04 PM »
piece of equipment.

Today I did a comparison between my Onkyo TX-910 and Parasound R/HD 600. I liked the Onkyo better! Even though the Parasound is a high current discrete circuit design. I've researched NAD in the past, and found there are a bunch of NAD haters in audiophile circles. Is this deserved or are the NAD amps any good?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 04:38:25 PM »
piece of equipment.

The TX-8210 looks exactly like my TX-910.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 03:38:03 PM »
$250 - Panasonic SAXR50 (now SAXR55?)
$230 - JVC RX-F10
$180 - JVC RX-202
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 10:13:33 AM »
I agree with Craig above.  You will be much happier using some of the newer class d stuff than you will buying a less exspensive integrated amp.  That said, if you are set on integrated, there is a b stock onic 60 watt integrated at av123.com that wil not last much longer that you may like.  If I was in your position, I would lok for a panasonic xr-45 if you can find one, or the xr-50 on ebay since they are discontinued.  You can preorder the xr-55 for 250 at j and r.  Hope this helps.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Chuck

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 02:55:14 PM »
I agree with Craig above.  You will be much happier using some of the newer class d stuff than you will buying a less exspensive integrated amp.  That said, if you are set on integrated, there is a b stock onic 60 watt integrated at av123.com that wil not last much longer that you may like.  If I was in your position, I would lok for a panasonic xr-45 if you can find one, or the xr-50 on ebay since they are discontinued.  You can preorder the xr-55 for 250 at j and r.  Hope this helps.

Class D?
Is there somewhere I can read up on this stuff?
Are the above mentioned amps clean?

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 03:43:36 PM »
d as in digital

Offline Chuck

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 03:57:57 PM »
d as in digital

Yeah, I found the Panasonic site and have been reading.
In my experience, digital doesn't nessesarily make it good. Especially if it's a newer technology. Apparently the "bugs" have been worked out? Is this audiophile quality stuff?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 04:10:20 PM »
d as in digital

That's actually something of a misnomer. Class D amps are digital switching amps. Digital = the way the power supplied to the output stage (I think) is either fully on or fully off (1 or 0). My PS Audio HCA-2 is one example of this type of amp that is definitely audiophile quality. You won't find one for $200, but you could find one used for under $1000 without too much trouble.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 04:51:49 PM »
d as in digital

That's actually something of a misnomer. Class D amps are digital switching amps. Digital = the way the power supplied to the output stage (I think) is either fully on or fully off (1 or 0). My PS Audio HCA-2 is one example of this type of amp that is definitely audiophile quality. You won't find one for $200, but you could find one used for under $1000 without too much trouble.

you are correct, I could have been much, much clearer :)

BobW

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 09:57:37 PM »

In the $200 range is there anything?

Rotel RA931 is quiet, controlled, and clean.
The top-end can be a bit fast (op-amps) but there are some snazzy mods out for the DIP-8 IC, if you ever want to upgrade it.
I use mine for the patio system, I'm thinking of upgrading............. (as always   ;D   )

The NAD 372 is also a good option.

Good luck.

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 10:13:20 PM »
Is there an concensus on a relatively inexpensive two channel pre-amp/amp for high quality playback?
Curently I have an Onkyo TX-910 reciever and a Parasound R/HD-600 receiver. I never use the receiver or the phono inputs.

Just for a differnet flavor of recommendation, you could possibly use one of those as a preamp for a decent monoblock amplifier.

I purchased a great B&K ST-140 here off the board for a great price and it sounds great.  I can't wait to get a tube pre in front of it but for now I'm using the pre-outs on my old H/K AVR-20.

http://audioreview.com/amplifiers/b&k%20components/prd_115626_1583crx.aspx#reviews
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 01:59:45 PM »
i'll 2nd the B&K.
research it, you'll read it discribed as having a "cult following".
its a pleasing sounding amp.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 04:45:33 PM »
I'll third the B&K ST-140 suggestion, I owned one for awhile and I thought it sounded great for the price.

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 05:40:30 PM »
The B&K ST-140 paired with a nice preamp is a good call.  Likewise a Rotel RB-980BX or something along those lines.  But I think a better one-box choice would be an Acurus DIA-100 (or 150, 100mkII, etc).  They show up on audiogon.com every now and then and sound is even better than most seperates anywhere near this price range... including Acurus/Aragon's own stuff.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 10:59:02 AM »
Ok, a little late to this party, but I thought I'd chime in to recommend a Cambridge Audio integrated amp.  I've got a A500 int amp I picked up for about your budget level to use in my home office system.  I like it a lot and would definitely recommend it.  I think the newer Azur line is a bit more expensive than what you want to spend, but if you look for an A300 or A500 used, you should be able to get it at or below your budget.

I also like the preamp + B&K or Acurus idea (I used to use that myself for my main system).  But by the time you pick up a preamp, even going used you'll be looking at double your budget or more.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Chuck

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 01:41:33 PM »
Ok, a little late to this party, but I thought I'd chime in to recommend a Cambridge Audio integrated amp.  I've got a A500 int amp I picked up for about your budget level to use in my home office system.  I like it a lot and would definitely recommend it.  I think the newer Azur line is a bit more expensive than what you want to spend, but if you look for an A300 or A500 used, you should be able to get it at or below your budget.

I also like the preamp + B&K or Acurus idea (I used to use that myself for my main system).  But by the time you pick up a preamp, even going used you'll be looking at double your budget or more.

I'm reading about the A300.
It looks good, but it seems a bit hard to find in the US...

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 01:58:53 PM »

Yep, that's probably true.  I got my A500 new from audioadvisor.com on a closeout sale when they moved to the Azur line.  I think it was only something like$219-229.  It might take some hunting to find an A300 or A500, but if you don't mind spending some time and waiting awhile, it might be a good choice.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Chuck

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »

Yep, that's probably true.  I got my A500 new from audioadvisor.com on a closeout sale when they moved to the Azur line.  I think it was only something like$219-229.  It might take some hunting to find an A300 or A500, but if you don't mind spending some time and waiting awhile, it might be a good choice.

Thanks Todd, I'm seriously looking into it.
My other option is one of those cheap class D amps talked about earlier. But, after seeing a photo of guts of those Cambridge amps, I'm pretty well convinced. It looks like a lot of amp, for not a lot of money! Are they fan cooled? I hate noisey fans...

BobW

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 03:57:22 PM »
Well, with the thread heading this way.... someone should say Creek.
There, I've said it !

Never owned one, but thought that the few that I heaqrd sounded pretty good.

Still liking my SE EL34s at 10 wpc.  Working on quieting her down.
No body-slam bass, but she has sweet voicing and tames a redbook CD pretty nicely.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2005, 12:49:40 PM »
Chuck..

Here's a listing for a vintage Creek Integrated in which you may be interested for $250

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1120235749
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2005, 11:07:14 AM »
Hmmm...
Is this a good amp for a good price?

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2005, 03:04:37 PM »
You REALLY should consider spending a bit more money and get the combo with the ref1's at av123.com.  The price and sound are an absolute steal, and would be my choice since you will invariably want to upgrade quickly, like taping gear, and this will last you longer than most setups I think.

Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Chuck

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2005, 03:44:41 PM »
You REALLY should consider spending a bit more money and get the combo with the ref1's at av123.com.  The price and sound are an absolute steal, and would be my choice since you will invariably want to upgrade quickly, like taping gear, and this will last you longer than most setups I think.

the combo with the ref1's at av123.com.

What is this in reference to? What would something like this cost?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2005, 03:51:35 PM »
This is post 2000 for me  ;D

I have a pair of Tannoy Reveal speakers that I like. I just need an integrated amp to drive them, so I can evaluate my recordings better. It's a DAW set-up.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2005, 06:46:23 PM »
Well, I threw caution to the wind and bought a used Creek 4140 on eBay for $162 shipped.

The 4140 s2 looked like a better amp, but the two on AudiogoN were gone before I made up my mind.
I think I got a good deal. I can't wait until it arrives.
My playback system now:

Toshiba SD-3960> Creek CAS 4140> Tannoy Reveals

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2005, 09:39:26 PM »
Well, I threw caution to the wind and bought a used Creek 4140 on eBay for $162 shipped.

The 4140 s2 looked like a better amp, but the two on AudiogoN were gone before I made up my mind.
My playback system now:

Congrats on the new gear Chuck.

BobW

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2005, 10:05:52 PM »

My playback system now:

+T !  Let us know how you like it. 

Offline Tim

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2005, 12:27:55 PM »
way to go Chuck!

Offline Chuck

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2005, 04:34:57 PM »
Thanx, I already have some ideas on "improving it."

Offline Chuck

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2005, 12:34:02 PM »
Well, I saw a used Cambridge Audio A500RC on eBay and I bought it.
I've only had it for two days, but I'm very happy with it so far. When I first heard it with my Toshiba 3960 transport, I was surprised at how much different it sounded than the Creek CAS 4140. More dynamic, and more laid back is the best way to describe it.

I'm probably going to sell the Creek CAS 4140 if anyone is interested.

BobW

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2005, 01:37:01 PM »
Well, I saw a used Cambridge Audio A500RC on eBay and I bought it.
I've only had it for two days, but I'm very happy with it so far. When I first heard it with my Toshiba 3960 transport, I was surprised at how much different it sounded than the Creek CAS 4140. More dynamic, and more laid back is the best way to describe it.

I'm probably going to sell the Creek CAS 4140 if anyone is interested.

Cambridge stuff sounds like Schoeps mics to me, if that makes sense.
I know that it's high quality, but the tonal coloration doesn't match my hearing.

Go with what you like and what matches your speakers and musical tastes.
That's always the downside of buying from the Interweb.
It's also the reason that my Rotel feeds the patio speakers. (where it sounds great, FWIW)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 60 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com