Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: suggestions, help, and all that good stuff.  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Vally1978

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
suggestions, help, and all that good stuff.
« on: April 24, 2005, 06:45:04 PM »
ok, so its getting close to the time where I will be taping quite a few shows for the first time.  Its my first real attempt, and it  will be stealth.  Now here are my questions, because well I am clueless as to what to set my MD recorder to for taping. 

I have a Sony MZR900.  If anyone is familiar with this thing what do I need to set for say a Sarah Mclachlan show.  Once it is on I don't plan on messing with it except to change the MD, because I will be down by the stage and dont want to get caught being my first time and all.  I will also have a battery box.

Any help is much appreciated.  Being female, and not wearing a hat I guess I will also need to get creative with how to wear these mics.  Any ideas on that?

Anything that you can all offer for a first timer is appreciated.  I would like to at least get one show that is bearable to listen to, haha. :)  I've been planning this for quite sometime now, soooo.

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: suggestions, help, and all that good stuff.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 08:07:24 PM »
Male or female ~ your best bet is to mount your mics inside a hat, but if you're hell bent on not wearing one . . . .

Check out these pictures Moke posted a while back of a custom headband he constructed: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=22088.0  You could acheive something very similar by using a headband, clipping your mics to each end and wearing it backwards (underneath your hair).  I've done it -- it works fine.

I've also clipped my mics to the outside of my purse and then propped the purse as high as I could get it to sit in my lap.

Whatever you decide -- GOOD LUCK !!
:)

Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Vally1978

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 05:02:44 PM »
So can anyone help me out with the settings for my MD?  I am taping a show tomorrow....
Pleaseeeee.  :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:25:57 PM »
can you adjust the levels on the fly on that?  If not, I'd set them pretty low to ensure no peaking...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Vally1978

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 05:28:17 PM »
Nah, can't adjust them like that.....what levels am I adjusting to set low?  I am sounding really stupid asking all these questions, but I have no idea what I am supposed to even set on this thing.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 05:47:50 PM »
rtfm....read the fucking manual ;D

seriously, i bet the manual for your md will have information on how to set levels while recording.  either that or do a search for the model here or on the 'net and see what you can find. 
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 05:51:43 PM »
Try simulating the loudness of the show on your home stereo and setting the levels there. Then when you get to the venue you should have them at least close to what they should be at.

Just to be safe, I suggest setting them to peak around -8, and then you can boost your levels in post production. Just make sure you don't set them too low or there will be some hiss from boosting the levels.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Vally1978

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 10:24:55 PM »
ok this is my problem...I don't know where I go to turn the levels on this MD.  I have looked through the manual, and online, and I have been through the menu a million times looking for how to set levels, but with no luck, where is it damnit!? 

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 10:48:57 PM »
OK

Here are some things to think about.

Here's the Link to the Manual in case you can't locate yours.

http://minidisc.org/manuals/sony/sony_mzr900_manual.pdf

I'm assuming you're recording from mics. 

First off if you're using mics into the recorder directly  (IE no battery box) then you'll want to se the mic sesitivity to Low.

The steps for that are on Pg 25 of the manual.

Second unless you feel comfortable working with setting the levels I would stick with the AGC it really isn't that bad in concerts unless you have folks close by doing a lot of clapping or yelling in which case they tend to react to that immediate sound.

How to adust the levels manually is on Pg 27 of the manual.   These recorders do not allow you to set the levels while the disc is actually recording!  So you'll have to do this with an opening band or during sound check.  Once again until you get a ballpark feel for your mics at concerts you may wish to go  with the AGC.  Practice on shows that aren't that important to you.  It's better to come home with a recording that isn't exactly perfect rather than one that is unuseable!

The manual seems to be locked in adobe otherwise I'd cut and paste the directions for you!

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Vally1978

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 10:54:08 PM »
Ok, what is AGC?  AND thanks so much for taking the time to reply with all this info!  Its very much appreciated.  :)

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 11:04:02 PM »
AGC stand for Automaitc Gain Control  so the AutoREC setting on the MD which will do the adjustment for you, this is the setting by default and the Menu Lever will get you access to it.  You'll see if you play with it.

Also get to know the recorder in the dark if you're doing a stealth type show because the display isn't backlit.  You'll either need to have a small unobstrusive lightsource  (A small LED keylight is great for this)  or feel confident that you got it into record when the lights go down.

BTW  playing your stereo at home will not come close to the sound you'll get at an actual show.

Offline Vally1978

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 11:09:45 PM »
Ok, I found the how to do the manual recording, thanks for pointing it out to me.  I am not sure why I never found it in the manual. 

I will be using a "juice box" for my mics.  And it will be a stealth show, Rob Thomas....so there will be plenty of screaming fans, I am sure.  So manual may be the way to go this time? 

I really trying to practice for May when I see Sarah Mclachlan five times.  I want to at least get one good recording. :)

Thanks again.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 11:15:14 PM »
Yep you'll want to give the manual setting a shot!  And pay off your neighbors with a beverage, promise of the show, their favorite goody, big hug, whatever you've got to do.  ;D

Also there are LineIn and MicIn style battery boxes, do you know what type you're using?  That'll change the way you set up the recorder.

Offline Vally1978

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 11:30:50 PM »
its a line in battery box

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 11:34:35 PM »
its a line in battery box
:o

Then ignore my suggestion about the Mic Sensitivty setting and pulg in to th Line(Opt) input on your recorder and NOT the MicIn.

Good data

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com