Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Grace m902  (Read 8306 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Grace m902
« on: April 29, 2005, 02:24:27 PM »
got to play with it yesterday over at Grace's office...HOLY SHIT IT IS SWEET!!!!  here's some notes on it that I posted over in colorado crew...

yeah it's a high quality 24-bit/192khz DAC and headphone amp but can also drive powered speakers, like the active reference monitors i use.  it would be much better than going straight into the internal soundcard i have now.

other features i can remember:
-both balanced and unbalanced analog inputs on xlr and rca
-rca outputs
-digi-in includes aes, s/pdif, toslink, and usb!
-switchable output from monitors to headphone via push-button volume knob
-remote control
-xfeed technology which simulates the head baffle effect when listening over headphones
-pimp light-dimming technology to set the mood Grin (jamie explained it like that, pretty much)
-2 headphone outs

anyone seen/have one yet and want to comment?  i'm pretty certain i'm getting one to drive my alesis m1 active mk-II reference monitors
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Re: Grace m902
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 02:46:04 PM »
I haven't seen the m902, but I have had the 901 for just over a year now.  From what I gather, the D/A has been improved, but the analog headphone amp section is very similar (if not the same??).  That said, I absolutely love my 901, and I say go for it, get the m902.  I've briefly thought about selling the 901 and buying an m902, but at this point, I don't think I need to do it just yet.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 02:53:40 PM »
I lust for one myself.  I'll be listening to Jasons 901 tomorrow!  :)

my dream rig right now is the 902  > manley snapper 100w tube monos
that would kick some SERIOUS ass !!  Minimalist approach.  A very high end analog signal coming out, so a great amp is a must to really make something special.  but I bet a signal like that would bring out the best in any amplification device.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 02:54:12 PM »
Josh -- doug oade (and many others) liked the 901 (its predecessor) a LOT.  Quite a few folks actually use it as a preamp, feeding the headphone out into a power amp.  I've never heard one, but sounds like it has superior d>a conversion circuitry and really nice sound.  I'm sure the 902 will be real nice too -- you might want to see if you can find a used 901 as it'll probably set you back a lot less change

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 02:59:17 PM »
buy it and bring it over to my house, I want to hear that thing!

the m901 is a Class A rated component by Stereophile I believe

there should be a review of the m902 coming out soon
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 03:20:45 PM »
buy it and bring it over to my house, I want to hear that thing!

the m901 is a Class A rated component by Stereophile I believe

there should be a review of the m902 coming out soon
i believe jamie said the latest review puts this at the same high class rating.  i'm not looking to save any money on a 901, i want the goods!!!

i put about $400+ into these reference monitors and i'm driving them with a $100+ internal soundcard...i just feel i'll get a lot more out of them PLUS a lot of other great features with the 902...and it is versatile enough to use in other situations when i change things up
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 03:28:17 PM »
you will be able to keep that in your hifi system for a looooooong time... it's a first class piece of gear that is also very versatile. if you have the scratch then I think it's a no-brainer...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 04:18:24 PM »
I listened to it at the aes convention last october.  It's the best headphone amp i've ever heard to date.  So clean, detailed, and clear.  Of course they had some grados for me to listen to it with.  Grados are fantastic headphones.  I have yet to hear this unit as a DAC for monitors..  I'm sure it is top notch though.  You should definitely get one Josh if you have the money.

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 04:52:14 PM »
Stereophile hinted this month that it may very well be the "holy grail" of dacs.  Review next month I think.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 05:10:31 PM »
i saw one going on audiogon a few weeks back, so i emailed the seller to ask what he thought of it.  he was selling it to buy back a benchmark because that's what he preferred

just thought i'd mention that

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 05:32:53 PM »
Also, only 16/44.1 or /48 over the USB. USB2 or FW for 24/96 or /192 would have been way better, IMO. I'll wait for another generation.
Out of the game … for now?

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 07:53:53 PM »
Also, only 16/44.1 or /48 over the USB. USB2 or FW for 24/96 or /192 would have been way better, IMO. I'll wait for another generation.

+ T      Great catch, that was buried in the manual.   
I wonder why a $1600 device would have USB1.1 in 2005 ?

Word to Mike.

Still, I bet it sounds great. The M901 kicks butt. So does the Benchmark DAC-1.  I'd be proud to own either.

Now if only someone will answer my question from a few months ago about how it is possible to "hear" the differences in digital cables,
especially with PLL technology, such as Grace's s-Lock.........
But I digress.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 01:09:52 PM »
is it ok that it has unbalanced rca outs to drive my monitors?  or would i want balanced for that?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 11:13:09 PM »
is it ok that it has unbalanced rca outs to drive my monitors? or would i want balanced for that?
bump this question...
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline Brian

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 11:21:16 PM »
do your monitors have balanced inputs?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com