Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gold Alloy interconects?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Gold Alloy interconects?
« on: May 04, 2005, 05:24:46 PM »
Anyone try the Z Squared or Audio Metalurgy interconnects or any others using the gold alloy wire? 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
Re: Gold Alloy interconects?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 05:27:56 PM »
Anyone try the Z Squared or Audio Metalurgy interconnects or any others using the gold alloy wire? 

I was always under the impression gold was not as good a conductor as copper or silver, but it was used to coat connectors due to its resistance to corrosion.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 05:46:40 PM »
I think the gold alloy wire is mostly copper with some gold and silver, then a gold coating.   Gold has less conductivity, but the charts I've seen seem to indicate that the difference is negligible.

It's not all about the bling.  If you go to those manufactuers web sites, the Z Squared topline cryo'd ICs list for about $1700  :P but they are always running an auction on audiogon where the usual winning bid is just over $200 - and I seriously doubt they are taking a $1500 hit every week just for the good press.

I want to try something new and I want to get to a consistent set of wires throughout the signal path.  It would cost me $300 to match the MIT330 Shotguns but I could sell those and the Cardas wire I'm using and have enough money for two pair of the auctioned gold wires.   

I found good reviews but only two reviews so I was hoping someone here could comment.

oh yeah, which analysis plus speaker wires are you using?  The 12s or the 9s?  I was thinking about trying those bi-wires.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 06:29:11 PM »
Uhmmmm.... after yesterdays wifely blasting, I'm hoping that the new recorder comes with those red and white plastic over steel connector stereo cables that the consumer gear comes with,... 'cuz, my card has been locked up, and my wallet emptied. probation.

I hear that.  Notice how I'm selling some cables to get the new ones?  I'm in a pretty good shape right now.  I've been sending out a lot of boxes lately and I sold the Thiels last weekend so some wires showing up is not going to raise any flags.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 08:06:50 AM »
Uhmmmm.... after yesterdays wifely blasting, I'm hoping that the new recorder comes with those red and white plastic over steel connector stereo cables that the consumer gear comes with,... 'cuz, my card has been locked up, and my wallet emptied. probation.

I hear that. 

*Pfife shakes his head in sad agreement...*
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 04:23:38 AM »

I was always under the impression gold was not as good a conductor as copper or silver, but it was used to coat connectors due to its resistance to corrosion.

QFT,  Platinum, too.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 03:39:59 PM »
Well, I finally found a pair used and they are pretty damn nice.  They are very smooth and very clear sounding but they do not have the forwardness of seperation produced by the Pulsars with gold bullets.   They are a nice blend of warmth and detail in my system.

The ICs are constructed using two insulated gold alloy wire housed in a plated copper braid.  The braid is insulated on each end so is not a drain.  I took off the outer barrel to treat the plugs with progold and found that this is a solderless assembly.  The signal wire is bent to form a small spring which is pushed into the cup.  The insertion force is held when the strain relief screw is seated.   It is a purely mechanical connection between the gold wire and gold cup - no signal flows though any solder.

I haven't really had a chance to listen to much since these went into the system but I liked what I heard.  I'm still wanting to play with the pulsars and try the silver bullet pulsars before I make a decision on which to keep.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com