Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24/96 laptop options?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
24/96 laptop options?
« on: May 05, 2005, 12:20:45 PM »
What are the good options for getting 24/96 into a laptop?

VX pocket and friends are 44/48 only.

USB 1.1 seems too unreliable.

Echo Indigo I/O is 24/96 but analog only.

Firewire is a possibility.  But since I already have a Minime and UA-5, another box to lug and carry does not make sense unless it is a good fit.  Firewire device support under Linux support is currently weak, so that is also a concern.

PDAudio-CF is an option but would require a PCMCIA to CF converter.

Anything else?

Thanks!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re: 24/96 laptop options?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 01:20:10 PM »
m-audio firewire audiophile is a great firewire interface....just out of curosity are you using the mini-me and UA-5 at the same time? You could easily feed a spdif out of the mini-me into the audiophile and then feed firewire into your lappie. Its a small unit that is easily powerd in the field
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 04:40:46 PM »
is the differnece between 24/48 and 24/96 worth the money, extra box, battery, hastle? i happily recorded at 24/48 for 2 reasons:
1. a dvd-a of a 3 hour show fits one 1 disk.
2. i couldnt really here the sonic difference in the two on MY playback. ymmv.

all 24/96 seeds i d/l, i resample to 24/48 in wavelab for those two reasons. i keep the 24/96 flac masters archived in case one day i can hear the difference.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 04:54:52 PM »
Sell the minime and UA-5 and buy my ULN-2 > Powerbook rig!
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Thom Joad

• Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 10:02:30 AM »
I'd like to point out the Firewire Audiophile (also from M-Audio).  It's cheaper (ebay ~160) compare to the 410 (ebay ~350) and will take a digital signal from the MME and convert to Firewire in for your 'puter.  I know of one local guy who is using this with great success.  If all you need to do is convert S/PDIF --> Firewire, without any other added bells and whistles, I think this is your box.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 11:47:20 AM »
Few have had success using the PDAudio-CF with a laptop.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 01:51:54 PM »
So I did some more digging on firewire for Linux.  The project members are making very encouraging progress but the code is still in pre-Alpha so it isn't really ready yet..  Maybe in the Fall.

So that means PDAudio-CF is apparently it on Linux at the moment.

For the moment, I'm shaking down the new rig and holding off on that solution (Summer and stuff make sitting inside and testing hardware not as appealing as it is in January...).  Of course, any USB problems with the Minime will force me to Take Action.

my advice would be to simplify your problem and ditch linux as the OS for your laptop recorder

with win32 (win2000 or winXP) you will immediately have better driver and application support for what you are trying to do

trying to use linux for recording will always put you on the "bleeding edge" and you will often encounter far less (if any) support for it from hardware vendors

good luck

boogie

qft.  I tried to find linux drivers so I could run my f410...to no avail.  Bite Gates' bullet dood.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 02:30:32 PM »
I just noticed today sonic sense has a pre-owned nuendo / rme PCMCIA card and the multiface and digiface breakout boxes. the prices are pretty good. They also have the PCI card for the breakout boxes as well so u can interchange between tower lappy if you want that feature
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 10:03:55 PM »
I saw a pcmcia card at best buy......I can hear the groans.....It was a Sound Blaster audiogy card ::) for laptops...more groans...but I saw  that does 24/96 with an optical input and it has an optical output......the card cost was 125$  this is the only card for lappies that I saw claims 24/96...has anyone else seen them or inquired about them.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 09:40:27 AM »
I saw a pcmcia card at best buy......I can hear the groans.....It was a Sound Blaster audiogy card ::) for laptops...more groans...but I saw  that does 24/96 with an optical input and it has an optical output......the card cost was 125$  this is the only card for lappies that I saw claims 24/96...has anyone else seen them or inquired about them.

I have one.  My tests showed it was not "bit perfect" at 24/96.  It sounds nice for playback, though.  jmerin also tried one, but he had trouble even getting the drivers to work.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 11:33:38 AM »
so does the SB pcmia card resample on digi input?

All I'm looking for is a way to dump my dats to my lappy, that's it... no more, no less. I have a vx pocket but I can't find the damn thing ::)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

CHURCH-AUDIO

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 10:25:07 PM »
What are the good options for getting 24/96 into a laptop?

VX pocket and friends are 44/48 only.

USB 1.1 seems too unreliable.

Echo Indigo I/O is 24/96 but analog only.

Firewire is a possibility.  But since I already have a Minime and UA-5, another box to lug and carry does not make sense unless it is a good fit.  Firewire device support under Linux support is currently weak, so that is also a concern.

Here is my problem with 24/96 into a Intel based laptop the 5200 rpm drive is the real problem. I use my laptop as a sound engineer for Smaart an acoustic analyizer program. And I leave the recording up to my trusty old Neuros for me 48k wav file format is fine at 16 bits thats plenty of resolution for my live recordings.

Just my two cents :)

PDAudio-CF is an option but would require a PCMCIA to CF converter.

Anything else?

Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com