Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Considering getting into stealth taping. Advice/opinions?  (Read 4963 times)

Offline bluenotem3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Considering getting into stealth taping. Advice/opinions?
« on: May 07, 2005, 01:54:39 PM »
So I've been considering getting into taping for quite a while now but never did because it is such a big investment and, frankly, most of the shows I have been going to get circulated just fine without me.

However, in the past few months I have been spending more and more time at taper-unfriendly, rarely circulated shows at small venues. More specifically, I am talking about jazz clubs like Birdland and the Village Vanguard or small theatres primarily suited to classical or jazz music, mostly around New York city. Now that I go to shows which are rarely taped and even more rarely circulated, I am starting to think that it would be well worth my while to begin taping.

But, I don't know much of anything about stealth taping. Is it even feasible for the type of venues I've mentioned? I see tapes circulate from these small clubs every once in a while but, of course, have never seen someone taping at one of them. How does on get away with it without being obvious? I'm curious about how one sneaks in the equipment as well actually going about recording the show. Some of my stealths some terrific, some of them sound awful. How do these two different results come about?

What is buying stealth taping equipment like? Is it more or less expensive or difficult to acquire than "regular" taping gear? What about conversions? The shows I would taping would be, I think, nothing less than gold for sites like dimeadozen. Could I find someone to convert it or would I have to do it on my own?

What are the legal implications of stealthing? If I'm caught at a nice, expensive jazz club will I be thrown out or will they take my gear or ban me from the club?

Is there any other advice you can offer me?

Thanks very much to anyone taking the time to answer any of my numerous questions. There are some great tapers on this site and I would love to hear from you.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Considering getting into stealth taping. Advice/opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 01:57:46 PM »
First things first:  Where To Begin
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bluenotem3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 02:29:58 PM »
Thanks, I checked that out and have saved it all for reference. Anyone have any more specific advice for me? I posted the same thread on phishhook and everyone told me to come here.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 02:44:31 PM »
How does on get away with it without being obvious?  I'm curious about how one sneaks in the equipment as well actually going about recording the show.

Search for keywords:  stealth, crotch

Some of my stealths some terrific, some of them sound awful. How do these two different results come about?

Location, quality of gear.

What is buying stealth taping equipment like? Is it more or less expensive or difficult to acquire than "regular" taping gear?

Check the Where To Begin forum, in which there's a thread detailing the costs of much of the gear we commonly use.  Each piece of gear is noted as stealthable or not.  Compare.

What about conversions?

Depends on your recorder.  JB3 = firewire / USB transfer. For more info, see the JB3 Tapers FAQ in the Archive | Recording Gear forum.  DAT = real-time playback of the digital signal through a bit-transparent soundcard.  MD = real-time playback of the digital signal through a bit-transparent soundcard.  Hi-MD...sorry, don't know.

Could I find someone to convert it or would I have to do it on my own?

Some people have "transfer bitches".  IMO, you're better of doing it yourself.

What are the legal implications of stealthing? If I'm caught at a nice, expensive jazz club will I be thrown out or will they take my gear or ban me from the club?

Is there any other advice you can offer me?

Check the Archive | Microphones forum for a thread with links to stealth gear discussions.  Everything you're asking has been covered before.  Read the Where To Begin forum in detail and understand it all, read the Archives, take advantage of the Search feature, then come back with specific questions.

And if you haven't figured it out, I'm the grumpy moderator who's seen every question asked 2,000 times and directs people to read the archives, use the search feature, etc. - basically, take some ownership and seek the answers first before asking.  :)
Roland R-05

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 03:02:55 PM »
check your thread on phishhook again, dude.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 03:50:35 PM »
check your thread on phishhook again, dude.

C'mon, now...be nice - s/he's welcome here.  S/He just doesn't know what s/he doesn't know, hence my pointing out the how to start finding the information s/he seeks.  Hopefully s/he'll take my advice, develop a baseline of understanding, and come back with some more specific questions.
Roland R-05

Offline bluenotem3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 03:54:52 PM »
lol, keepongoing was just letting me know that i/me has had my/mine thread responded to by him/that guy. he posted lots of helpful stuff/info and was just pointing me to it.

regardless, thanks very much for the helpful info Brian. I will check all of the threads and links you have referenced for more.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 03:56:28 PM by bluenotem3 »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 04:03:37 PM »
lol, keepongoing was just letting me know...

Doh!  I thought it was a polite version of "Go back to phatty P-hook you stanky-ass w00kie!!".
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 04:28:27 PM »
lol, keepongoing was just letting me know that i/me has had my/mine thread responded to by him/that guy. he posted lots of helpful stuff/info and was just pointing me to it.

regardless, thanks very much for the helpful info Brian. I will check all of the threads and links you have referenced for more.

+T for having the balls to mock one of our glorious moderators :P

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 11:39:30 PM »
Hi-MD...sorry, don't know.

USB -->PC.  Time can vary, depending on lenght of recording, whether or not it's compressed, & other factors.  Myself, I record in Linear PCM, transfer as 1 track via USB into SonicStage, out put 1 .wav file for editing/tracking/etc.

With PCM, you don't want to edit in SonicStage, it'll take forever.  Don't recall how long it takes (I'm usually doing something else), but I think the whole process is less than real time.  And SS3 now outputs .wav files without the extra program that was needed before.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 12:30:00 AM »
And SS3 now outputs .wav files without the extra program that was needed before.

Will SS3 output WAV files from both analog-in and digital-in recordings?  Or only analog-in?
Roland R-05

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 02:19:42 PM »
lol, keepongoing was just letting me know...

Doh!  I thought it was a polite version of "Go back to phatty P-hook you stanky-ass w00kie!!".

no, i wouldn't do that, though people over there to get my geeky taper butt back over here sometimes. besides, i am much high on the w00k-o-meter than this guy is (based on pictures i have seen).
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

sml42

Offline Roamer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 04:33:24 PM »
And SS3 now outputs .wav files without the extra program that was needed before.

Will SS3 output WAV files from both analog-in and digital-in recordings?  Or only analog-in?
Analog-in only with Sony's tools. With digital-in recordings, one should use Marcnet's HiMDRenderer (faster than real-time) or catch/redirect audio while playing HiMD with SS3 (real-time).

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 04:44:26 PM »
HIMD transfers for me are about 2x when transfering PCM.  I dunno if I had a faster computer it would go faster..I assume it would.  Transfering in HISP is hella fast!  Maybe 10x or so...Ive onl taped one or two set in HISP and never really noticed how fast it goes.

-Greg
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2005, 05:00:38 PM »

Will SS3 output WAV files from both analog-in and digital-in recordings?  Or only analog-in?
Analog-in only with Sony's tools. With digital-in recordings, one should use Marcnet's HiMDRenderer (faster than real-time) or catch/redirect audio while playing HiMD with SS3 (real-time).

Was just scrolling down to respond myself, but I didn't know about HiMDRenderer.  

Do you transfer by USB straight into Marcnet?

+t for the info, haven't seen anything about this.  
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline Roamer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 09:04:31 AM »
It's another external program made before Sony build there own. It doesn't prevent converting digital-in recording like Sony, but you still have to transfer USB via SonicStage. But i doubt you can get a bit perfect result using HiMD with digital-in (same record in HiSP converted with SonicStage and HiMDRenderer, and the wavs don't match in EAC. I haven't done the test with PCM yet).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com