Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24-Bit Tracking - Suggestions for workflow?  (Read 1901 times)

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
24-Bit Tracking - Suggestions for workflow?
« on: May 10, 2005, 01:28:14 AM »
Now that I have my first 24-Bit recording under my belt, I'm working on tracking it out so I can seed it.  My 16-bit process looked something like:
1 - open in CDWave and split into large full-disc wave files (one file per target disc) if larger than one disc.
2 - open each file in Adobe Audition 1.5 (aka CoolEdit Pro 2), apply fades at start and finish of discs.
3 - in Audition, apply any mastering effects (EQ, Normalization, etc) and save like artist2005-05-09d1t.wav.
4 - open again in CDWave and set tracking points, and save files to new folder.  (they get named perfectly with the above prefix).

This process purposely put tracking last because I had experiences where applying fades to already tracked files would break the sector boundries between tracks 1&2 and the last two.

Now for this recent show recorded on my 722... the band played two sets of around 70 minutes each, so for each set I have two files - one just under 2GB, and the other a few hundred megs.  Both Adobe Audition and Wavelab can open files and append more to the end, but Audition seems to fail consistently when the total exceeds 2GB.  I can do it in Wavelab and have the entire set open at once, but when I try to apply a subsonic filter (EQ) to the entire audio, it also fails... complaining about the 2GB barrier even though I'm not trying to save it.  :(

I've looked at a few 24-bit sources on etree and LMA to see the workflow that others are using, and I see several people doing the tracking in CDWave first.  So I tried breaking up one of those 2GB files... tracked it all out, and then opened the first and appended each of the additional ones in Wavelab as one stream.  As long as I keep it under 2GB, Wavelab doesn't complain.  But then I have to track each 2GB chunk seperately, and apply any effects to them seperately (and consistently).  And even then... how do I tell Wavelab to save the individual tracks, not save to a newly generated individual file?  I mean... a new large file works, but then I have to open the new file again in CDWave, and apply the saved CUE file to re-track it.  Surely there's an easier way.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, is it safe to track out the 24-bit files and then resample and dither the individual tracks (batched) rather than resampling and dithering the full audio and THEN tracking?  I wouldn't think this would be okay.  In that case, it's one more reason to keep the CUE file around I guess.

Thanks!!

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: 24-Bit Tracking - Suggestions for workflow?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 01:42:44 AM »
Congrats on the 722!  Looking forward to the Arlo Guthrie seed soon.  +t

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 02:31:34 AM »
my process went like this, although i skipped any eq....you should do your best during the show to make the initial recording as good as it can be...even when it's not perfect i still leave it.

anyways...

1. dither/resample 24/48 file to a 16/44.1 file
2. track 16/44.1 in cd wave
3. save cue file
4. save 16/44.1 tracks, burn to cd, flac, whatever
5. open 24/48 file in cd wave
6. apply cue sheet from 16/44.1 source, do not replace existing file with original (or whatever message it gives you)
7. save 24/48 tracks
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 09:22:56 AM »
1. Import audio from 722 in 2 GB chunks.
2. Track in CD Wave
    a. When tracking, save the last file in a 2 GB chunk with an "a" at the end, then save the first file in the next chunk with a "b" at the end
3. When done, combine all of the a/b files in Wavelab
4. Add any fades as necessary

I leave the 24-bit source as is. If I'm going to 16-bit, I'll usually resample and use the Waves L2 + IDR dither as a batch process in Wavelab. I haven't seeded a 16-bit version in a year or so. I usually just make one for the car, if anything.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 09:50:14 AM »
My workflow is going to be a bit different than most because A) I'm on a Mac and B) I always have at least 3 channels and up to 7 channels of audio.

1) Deva IV > DVD-RAM
2) DVD-RAM > PowerMac G4
3) MOTU Digital Performer (this is where I do my mixdown)
4) Bias Peak (track markings)

DVD-A
---------
5) Export regions to standalone 24-bit WAV files
6) DiscWielder  > DVD-A

DVD-V
--------
5) Export regions to standalone 24-bit WAV files
6) Toast > DVD-V (PCM 24/48 audio)

CD
----
5) Save file as 16-bit SDII (use POW-r dithering)
6) Convert to 44.1 kHz
7) Save as JAM image file
8) Roxio JAM > CD

So, as you can see depending on how things are going to end up there are multiple ways to work for me. I rarely post online these days (I just don't have the time), I usually hand off CDs to folks and let them do that part.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 09:56:59 AM »
Since the new firmware was not introduced before my last string of shows, I set the auto split at 4gb and opened in cd wave, tracked the large files and saved using the alternate 24 bit format.  Open up the files that required fades be added and resave.  Then I used the batch process program to resample then dither using UV22HR.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 10:03:15 AM »
I've been working with SF7. I do everything with it.

I open the 2 gig file, and do any needed editing. Then I use the mark feature to make my split points. There is a 2 step process to finish the tracking, but it is like 4 or 5 clicks. You convert the markers into sections, then extract the sections (like saving w/ cdwave)

Then I resample and dither then extract the regions again to a 16bit version file folder.

If I need to paste another file onto the last track, I just cut and paste once I split up the next raw file.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com