Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Arcam FMJ components  (Read 2647 times)

Offline monochromic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
New Arcam FMJ components
« on: June 09, 2005, 04:26:05 AM »
as posted in the arcam owners forum, http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119. sounds like quite a nice upgrade to the line and i'll be keen to demo the cd36 and see how it compares to my cd23.

Had a very nice visit from a chap Arcam today. He brought us some pre production samples of the new Arcam FMJ CD36 flagship cd player and the new Arcam FMJ C31 stereo preamplifier.

The CD36 is the successor to the CD33T and offers quite a number of improvements over its predecessor. I can't remember them all but the following are the main points talked about.

1. New output stage base on an improved version of the DACs in the CD192
2. New 4 layer PCBS allowing better layout and higher noise rejection.
3. New power supply layout allowing output stages to be further away from transformers.
4. New material (apparently derived from stealth bomber technology) used in casework above output stages to absorb electromagnetic radiation and other nasties.
5. New transport based on one used in CD192 and mounted on a much solid metal base.
6. Ouput stage board fitted to casework with better fitting clips to reduce vibration

The C31 has replaced the C30 and there are a number of changes under the hood.

1. Totally new 4 layer PCB and circuitry layout allowing shorter signal path
2. Multi channel options no longer available allowing better placement of components due to not have to leave room for multi channel board.
3. Tone controls have also been dropped from the feature list to keep the signal path as short and clean as possible.
4. New material (apparently derived from stealth bomber technology) used in casework above output stages to absorb electromagnetic radiation and other nasties.
5.Phono stage no longer supplied as standard, but still available as dealer fitted upgrade.
6. Hugely improved speed and transparency with far more attack and detail.

These units are available to order now and are expected to be shipped towards the end of this week. Needless to say my name is first on the list for the new CD36 to replace my now sold CD33. The CD36 will retail for £1400, £50 up from the CD33 and the C31 will remain at the same cost of £1200 as its predecessor.

edit: wrong forum, should be in playback components. sorry brian !
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 04:27:48 AM by monochromic »
Team Australia
Schoeps MK41/KC5/CMC6xt > Neve Portico 5012 > 722

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
Re: New Arcam FMJ components
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 10:58:03 PM »
...interested to hear your thoughts, I've heard a number of times that their newer players were inferior to the CD23/CD23T series.  That ring dac deal sounds like something special. 

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Arcam FMJ components
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 10:34:22 AM »
i think the dv27a sounds incredible.  it's their dvd player, not even a cd and i think it's better than the alpha 9 ring dac model i heard.  i haven't heard the 23 or the 33 though

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com