Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best place for a HQ power cable?  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
best place for a HQ power cable?
« on: June 11, 2005, 01:36:24 PM »
I got my hands on one of Leegeddy's power cables to evaluate and I was wondering where you guys thought the cable might make the most difference? Ultimatley I plan on using it in several spots and discerning for myself where I think it is most effective but with Sara's mom staying with us until Monday I'm not getting to play around as much as I would like

so.....

DAC to Furutech
Amp to Furutech
or wall to Furutech

any thoughts?

I've got it plugged into the DAC right now because it is always on and I want to get some current running through it before I critically listen

I'll post some pics tomorrow, this thing is beefy... and is, of course, built with the same level of quality as Marc's other cables
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re: best place for a HQ power cable?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 04:08:08 PM »
at  VHAudio you can order an adapter that converts an IEC female into a three prong female.  That will let you use a new PC as an extension cord to a refrigurator or window AC unit as a burn-in.  They are available other places but VHaudio has a picture of the adapter on his web site.

In my case, I got the best result when I swapped the cord to the DAC.  ymmv
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 08:33:24 PM »
Really, they all need one, but I would start with the amp and decide if you can hear the difference first!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 09:04:54 PM »
Really, they all need one

yeah, I realize that
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 09:19:07 PM »
Congratulations, now you know, and knowing is half the battle ::)
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 02:12:36 AM »
In my system I didn't notice much difference on the amp but noticed a slight improvement with my source, so I'd go with the DAC first.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 08:54:27 AM »
Nick, didn't you send me a power cord to try?  What was that cord?

Tim, I just ordered another PC cord.  If you are interested in comparing some different cords, I'll loan you the new one to compare against the one you bought.  I have had good luck with the Venhaus designed cord.  I'd be interested to know how it compares to what you have.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 11:43:34 AM »
Nick, didn't you send me a power cord to try?  What was that cord?

Tim, I just ordered another PC cord.  If you are interested in comparing some different cords, I'll loan you the new one to compare against the one you bought.  I have had good luck with the Venhaus designed cord.  I'd be interested to know how it compares to what you have.

My cords are all based on the Bob Crump DIY design on Audio Asylum.  I'll have to admit I was a little disappointed with the improvement in my system, of all of my minor upgrades and tweak this one probably gave me the the least bang for my buck, though I'm sure this is varies greatly from system to system.

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 02:12:46 PM »
thanks Nick, thanks Mr. Il

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 04:12:14 PM »
I have heard the volex chords are about as good as anything else, and I think they run like 10 bucks or so. 

BobW

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 05:27:53 PM »
I got my hands on one of Leegeddy's power cables to evaluate and I was wondering where you guys thought the cable might make the most difference? Ultimatley I plan on using it in several spots and discerning for myself where I think it is most effective but with Sara's mom staying with us until Monday I'm not getting to play around as much as I would like

so.....

DAC to Furutech
Amp to Furutech
or wall to Furutech

any thoughts?

I've got it plugged into the DAC right now because it is always on and I want to get some current running through it before I critically listen

I'll post some pics tomorrow, this thing is beefy... and is, of course, built with the same level of quality as Marc's other cables

Breakerbox to outlet ?
Street transformer to breakerbox ?
Transformer to transformer ?

Just where does a low-noise, low-resistance few feet make a difference ?

I do not believe in over-rated power cords.
YMMV

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 05:32:16 PM »
Breakerbox to outlet ?
Street transformer to breakerbox ?
Transformer to transformer ?

Just where does a low-noise, low-resistance few feet make a difference ?

I was skeptical too.  An aftermarket cord made a noticable difference with my old CAL DAC.  There was more bass punch.  I can't explain why that would be the case, but it was there.  I have another pair of ears in the house and those ears are biased against hearing anything that might justify another upgrade.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 09:08:39 PM »
i would put it between the wall and the power conditioner.  it all starts at that source

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 09:14:19 PM »
thanks for the input scott

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 09:22:12 PM »
i was just thinking back to what i did with my best pair of interconnects.  they went from my pre/receiver to my amp because that way every source benefitted.   i think i'd do the same with power cables. 

Offline Tim

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 09:25:27 PM »
yep, my best interconnects are from dac to amp.... makes sense to me

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com