Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dsd, pcm, and an interesting comment  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
dsd, pcm, and an interesting comment
« on: June 11, 2005, 09:19:47 PM »
Taken from an audioasylum post...discuss if you like.

But DBT and hi-res rear their ugly heads again:

Here's the abstract of a paper just given at AES' Barcelona conference:

O-1 Differences of Hearing Impressions among Several High Sampling Digital Recording Formats—Toshiyuki Nishiguchi, Kimio Hamasaki, NHK Science & Technical Research Laboratories - Tokyo, Japan
To study the difference of hearing impression of recorded sound among several high sampling digital recording formats, we conducted subjective evaluation tests. Perceptual discrimination was evaluated among the following digital recording formats: 24-bit/48-kHz, 24-bit/192-kHz, and DSD. The sound reproduction system for the subjective evaluation tests was carefully designed in order to reproduce the highest quality of sound on each digital recording format. Listening panels were selected from students of a university of music, recording engineers, and musicians. Sound stimuli for the evaluation were originally recorded to have exactly the same quality of analog signal that was fed to different A/D conversion systems. The results of subjective evaluation using the pair test method showed that the sound quality of the auditory frequency band in this experimental system might not depend on the sampling format.
Convention Paper 6469

# # #

I have not read the paper itself, but, the abstract seems to suggest that 24-bit 48 kHz cannot be DBT distinguished from DSD. Had they said that 16-bit 44.1 could not be distinguished from DSD, I'd cock an eyebrow at that. But people with no axes to grind and decades of experience have told me that the big jump in sound quality is going from 16 bit to 20, and after that increment, you are hugely in diminishing returns.

FWIW.

John Marks
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

BobW

Re: dsd, pcm, and an interesting comment
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 09:54:20 PM »
I believe it.

There are some perceptual differences possible in going from 48kHz to 96kHz sample rates, but it is very hard to hear.
An experienced engineer would likely pick it up in a Double-Blind Test, IMHO.
Neil Young's engineer insists that he can blind-test pick it, FWIW.

192 kHz ?  FX work is where I've been told that it matters.
DSD is an enigma to me.  I do not understand it enough to say anything semi-intelligent.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:10:02 PM »
Man, it's strange that this post was made, i was just reading this over at head-fi.org, check it out for some interesting observations about dsd and pcm:  http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109681

Just scroll down until you see a post from "Glassman."  I think i'm gonna need to read his comments several times to even start understanding what the heck he's talking about   :-X
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 02:12:20 PM »
I'll never understand what he's talking about! :-X

I like the comment made in there,... on page one, (paraphrasing)
Its hard to record with just two mics!

You mean you don't understand the simple theories of delta sigma?! :P  Head spinning....I think I just oversampled my brainpan :P
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 04:09:30 PM »
What do you want to know :P
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 05:45:57 PM »
wowo,  great thread on that headphone board.  great reading and highly educational.
thanks for posting
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline George

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 06:41:44 PM »
I'll never understand what he's talking about! :-X

I like the comment made in there,... on page one, (paraphrasing)
Its hard to record with just two mics!

I gotta admit, i kinda chuckled when i read that as well.

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Ray76

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 07:27:46 PM »
now see that stuff makes my head seriously hurt. Its a blessing though, because I know after I got my music degree, I certainly didnt enjoy music as much from a listening standpoint after the fact. Something about reducing music to mathematical engineer-speak makes me feel funny inside. :bawling:

mercifully, God has not granted me a brain capable of comprehending higher mathematical/engineering speak , but thanks man! I got some new words!+T thank God there are those of you out there who can understand this stuff so that hicks like me dont have to.

Interesting for sure. Like reading hebrew after the eye doctor dilates your pupils.

Ray

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 08:02:59 PM »
Have you guys ever tried to understand the technical mumbo jumbo in stereophile before?  Those measurements drive me nuts every month!

Ray76

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 08:07:36 PM »
Have you guys ever tried to understand the technical mumbo jumbo in stereophile before?  Those measurements drive me nuts every month!

man, to hell with all that stuff. record, transfer, listen. no need to split atoms or quote from the annals of nuclear astrophysicists monthly. damn nerds. will take anything and turn it into a science ridden diatribe.

:P

;)

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 09:37:09 PM »

man, to hell with all that stuff. record, transfer, listen. no need to split atoms or quote from the annals of nuclear astrophysicists monthly. damn nerds. will take anything and turn it into a science ridden diatribe.

:P

;)

Sounds like a plan   ;)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com