Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY cable cooker?  (Read 8167 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DIY cable cooker?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 05:14:12 PM »
yeah, that's not very persuasive.... he may very well be correct but he's not convincing anyone with that :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 05:26:37 PM »
I figured it was at the very least, a non-audiophile forum...not trying to do any convincing, you either here it or you don't I guess.   >:D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 05:32:22 PM »
I'm not overly skeptical of the idea of cable burn in, a few engineers I know have convinced me that there is some burn-in... I think some people over hype it though
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 05:38:34 PM »
imho, i believe in the burn-in process. on an atomic level, nothing is static (unless you're at absolute zero... 0 deg. Kelvin). electrons are in constant motion and carry the charge from one point of the cable to another. + and - polarities exist.  simple facts that can not be ignored.

with that said, the QUANTIFIABLE difference between a fresh cable and one that has been burned-in is a small one. not an "in-your-face" difference. it could be a minute change in depth perception, or a change in how the treble/bass is perceived. but the fact remains that there IS a difference.

marc
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 05:44:46 PM by leegeddy »
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Tim

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 06:03:01 PM »
imho, i believe in the burn-in process. on an atomic level, nothing is static (unless you're at absolute zero... 0 deg. Kelvin). electrons are in constant motion and carry the charge from one point of the cable to another. + and - polarities exist. simple facts that can not be ignored.

with that said, the QUANTIFIABLE difference between a fresh cable and one that has been burned-in is a small one. not an "in-your-face" difference. it could be a minute change in depth perception, or a change in how the treble/bass is perceived. but the fact remains that there IS a difference.

marc

this is pretty much my position after hearing nearly the same thing from several engineer friends as well as from marc.....

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 10:16:51 PM »
OK, well not to stay on point or anything, but do you guys who believe that burn-in is an audible effect think that the cooker I suggested is the right thing to do?

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

BobW

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 10:35:31 PM »
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 10:37:26 PM by Reykjavik Bob »

Ray76

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 11:03:40 PM »
or pop rocks and soda

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com