Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best solution for PC playback > Stereo?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline jason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Best solution for PC playback > Stereo?
« on: June 14, 2005, 03:12:06 PM »
Hey folks, this may have been discussed already but I couldn't find much when I did a search.  I'm wondering what the best solution is for playing back files from a PC fed to a stereo amp.  I've already started phasing out my CDs and have most of my music on hard drives and DVDs, mostly 16 bit but have a lot of my 24bit masters too.

I know the PC is not the best environment for playback, its pretty noisy... is there a good solution for USB/Firewire out that provides RCA connections to an amp?  Perhaps the best route is to go digi-out from a good soundcard (external?) and get a DAC > Amp?

I have no idea how the SB audigy series perform, but I've noticed that some of them do not have RCA outs, but do support 24bit and likely have spdif.

I'm sure I'm not the only one moving towards hard drives and such, away from an overwhelming amount of audio CDs that take up too much space.  What else does everyone use?  I'm sick of PC speakers ;o(

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Best solution for PC playback > Stereo?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 03:24:12 PM »
Let me be the first to ask:   budget?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline jason

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 03:28:36 PM »
~$1000..  I'm assuming that if the best route involves a good DAC, then that budget will have to go up significantly..??

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 03:37:01 PM »
~$1000..  I'm assuming that if the best route involves a good DAC, then that budget will have to go up significantly..??

I'm assuming 2ch playback.  Thats a very respectable budget.  For less than $1K you can get a very nice upsampling DAC and a card with spdif output. 

For instance, an audiophile 2496 can be had for about $75.  It's a decent playback source all on it's own.  You can use the SPDIF outs from that card to feed an external DAC.  The Bel Canto 2.0 gets great reviews from folks in this forum.  Search for those.  You can get off audiogon for about $800. 

Look at a thread I asked about DACs a few weeks ago.  Several people offered reviews of DACs that they like.  For most of those mentioned in the sub-$1500 range, there are previous revisions that would be within your budget.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline jason

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 03:47:26 PM »
Thanks for the info! I just found the thread on DACs and realized that is the route to go...  and the research begins ;o)

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 03:56:08 PM »
Jason:

What's your current playback system like?  Another really nice option if your amp's not already incredible are the sony digital receivers (strda3000es or strda5000es), which IMHO have really nice sounding d>a converters built in and image amazingly well (especially considering their well-under $1k pricetag).

feed one of these through an audiophile 2496 or other bit-perfect soundcard and you'll by styling. 

Another issue though, sounds like your pc's going to be in your listening room.  You'll likely want to take steps necessary to assure that your pc's especially quiet.

Offline jason

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 04:11:21 PM »
Actually, I'm also looking at buying an amp currently.  Also have the same budget for an integrated amp, but did not consider a digital receiver b/c I only need a 2 channel system.  Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out too.

Any options for an external sound card? I've already used up all my slots in my PC!  I think my PC is relatively quiet.  Plus, I like to listen to my music louder than the volume of noise that my pc generates, I don't anticipate it to be a problem.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 04:20:51 PM »
Definitely check out the sony digital receivers -- for the $$$$, especially, the're hard to beat and work great for 2 channel reproduction (edit -- and support 24bit/96k).  I picked mine up from the oades at a really nice price.

External soundcard -- m-audio has 2 different usb2 models I'm aware of that'd work, the cheaper m-audio transit (under $100) and the pricier m-audio audiophile usb (just over $100).  I believe the transit only has an optical out, so you might want to settle on how you're going to feed your digital signal first.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 04:53:49 PM by dnsacks »

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 04:49:25 PM »
I currently run a delta dio (spdif) > adcom GDA-600 > receiver for most of my playback.
If you are going to buy a DAC, look into buying one capable of 24/96 at least.
Like what was recommended the bel canto 2.0
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com