Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best discs for imaging?  (Read 6363 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
best discs for imaging?
« on: July 03, 2005, 02:08:15 PM »
what discs do you guys like to use when evaluating a systems ability to image well?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

Re: best discs for imaging?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 06:06:31 PM »
yeah I've been using some of that stuff, the jdisc stuff is razor sharp....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 08:05:53 PM »
 :clapping:

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 11:44:33 AM »
I like the acoustic stuff myself.

Just don't use Kentucky Colonel's Appalachian Swing.  It has strange phase problems.
Was designed to be a center mic recording and the image surrounds you, walks a around you, and dizzies you at times.

Grisman's label has good stuff, Sam Bush stuff
Use a good vocal recording like Buena Vista Social Club.  It will pass through the crossover frequency on vocals.
Listen to hear if the vocalists move aound.

Stereophile markets a few good two-mic recordings with your mind in mind. That might work for you.
Lots of great stuff on archive.org
two mics and a jdisk may be a bit too dramatic for speaker imaging depending on placement, but in the sweet spot... weeeel-dawgies !
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 11:48:37 AM by Reykjavik Bob »

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 12:29:45 AM »
Doug Oade's cricket recording is pretty intense.

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 02:10:21 PM »
anything by waterlily records!! http://www.waterlilyacoustics.com/main.htm
the guy is a master ambient recordist. blumlein tracks straight to tape.

oh man, what a great site! thanks

Offline cwfen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 06:03:22 PM »
Untangled, by the band Stillwater was getting some good posts here and on Oade for being really well recorded and a great "demo" CD for imaging, etc... It was produced by Doug Oade primarily, and the band is pretty fun. The CD is available on Amazon, from what I remember... try a search on "Stillwood" here and read up...

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 09:46:47 PM »
Dave Matthews: Some Devil, Track 10, "Oh"

Stunning.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Ray76

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 10:04:34 PM »
My bud the audiophile always uses these three discs.

1. Bach Concerto in A minor
2.Barbers Agnus Dei(you WONT find a better reference to test the ranges of the human voice)
3.Orffs Carmina Burana (arguably the BEST carmina burana)
4.) and this one is weird, but he always plays the soundtrack of Northern Exposure , says it has all the genres, and great dynamic range(s)

After picking his brain for many hours, i found out hes been using these for about 5 or 6 years , evertime he gets a new component.

Ray

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 11:26:11 PM »
any more info on those first 3 discs ray? I'm intrigued...

BobW

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 11:53:19 PM »
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tallpoppies/index.cgi?tp=cd&val=33

Tall Poppies is a cool label.
The Waterlilies thing reminded me of flowery record label names    ;D

==============================================
Also:
http://www.acousticdisc.com/onlinestore.html
The Tone Poems series is kickass.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 11:57:45 PM by Reykjavik Bob »

Ray76

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 08:17:26 AM »
any more info on those first 3 discs ray? I'm intrigued...

I have them. but you can get them
 Bach concerto- I found the BEST one you could possibly get at amazon. I am familiar with. Arthur Grumiaux as I have some of his other work, and he is amazing.  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000040Z3/ref=pd_sxp_f/102-4481152-1866503?v=glance&s=music grab it as they only have two left.
if you dont like how that one looks, look up BWV 1041(all of Bachs music is classified by this 3 letter prefix) and grab which one that looks the best to you. Rest assured you wont go wrong with the selection above though.

Barber's Agnus Dei- This is a transcription of his Adagio for Strings for voice. The one I own is the Robert Shaw Singers version. They are amazing, simply put. The agnus dei I am sure you have heard as it is a very emotional piece, the first time I heard it I was literally tearing up and awestruck.
But yeah, the Robert Shaw choral singers do it VERY well. There is a great cd put out by his singers called Evocation of the spirit that is really beyond description.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003D19/qid=1120651739/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/102-4481152-1866503?v=glance&s=classical&n=507846
Being a professional singer myself, I am really nitpicky when it comes to sacred/classical choral works, and these guys are simply the best in the business.

http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/028945358727BT?source=froogle

Orffs carmina burana can be found here. It is a classic in the music business , and jumps around from style to style, very fluidly. Wife owns this one herself.

I am positive you will both love these selections and find that for imaging/referencing they will do the job very very well. Acoustic music is unparalelled for this job.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 08:19:34 AM by BigRay »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 10:17:26 PM »
Stereophile test disc works, so does the demo download from realtraps I think is where I found it last.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

BobW

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 09:11:22 PM »
Tim,

Hit the Hutchins Consort discs for the first two that Ray mentions. The Consort plays an all time epic Barbers Adagio that'll tear at your emotions for ten minutes or so.
Day four of the CdM Baroque festival is pretty damn precise in its imaging, and they play out lots of Bach and the other baroque masters. And the players are absolutely top shelf. The cello player is unbelievably good in that recording!

speaking of which,.....
Those masters are getting transfered to 24/48 dvd for the all day playback blissing, yea!
I played back an entire 24/41 tHC guest mix collection yesterday afternoon, and it was so cool too be able to listen that long without changing discs!!

Did HC get their schwag and merch site fixed ?
I want some catgut schwag to hang from my rearview.   ;D

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 09:28:03 AM »
anything by waterlily records!! http://www.waterlilyacoustics.com/main.htm
the guy is a master ambient recordist. blumlein tracks straight to tape.

Audio drool :drool:
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com