Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Power for AD1K  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Candace

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Power for AD1K
« on: July 26, 2005, 02:04:40 PM »
Ok all you Apogee owners. I want to know what you are using for powering the AD1000 in the field. I've got the old Eco Charge batteries, but these days I only get 1hr 40 min out of one and 2hr 20 out of the other before the light starts blinking. I'm sick of hauling 16 pounds of batteries up to Red Rocks and want to know if anyone knows a lighter solution, or if I just need to hire a porter from now on. Are the Eco Charges the best solution?

Offline ethan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
Re: Power for AD1K
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 02:06:11 PM »
Ok all you Apogee owners. I want to know what you are using for powering the AD1000 in the field. I've got the old Eco Charge batteries, but these days I only get 1hr 40 min out of one and 2hr 20 out of the other before the light starts blinking. I'm sick of hauling 16 pounds of batteries up to Red Rocks and want to know if anyone knows a lighter solution, or if I just need to hire a porter from now on. Are the Eco Charges the best solution?

Maybe you need new batteries. They're only good for something like 1000 cycles. I get 4 hours out of my Eco 12V's.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Candace

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 02:38:54 PM »
Oh yeah, I do need new ones. Point is if I am buying new ones I'm wondering if there's a lighter better solution.

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 02:42:59 PM »
Maybe nothing lighter but maybe if you got an EC-90 with both 12 and 6 out you could ditch one of your 6v's which would lighten the load. The EC-90 is also only 5.5 lbs

You may find lighter 12v's but I don't think you'll find a 7 amp/hour battery that's lighter.
-e
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:03:21 PM by ethan »

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 03:06:05 PM »
I carried that stuff around for years, and it was heavy. I think the true cost of an AD1K comes in the form of a chiropractor's bill. :P ::) ;)
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 03:09:37 PM »
I carried that stuff around for years, and it was heavy. I think the true cost of an AD1K comes in the form of a chiropractor's bill. :P ::) ;)

heh..funny you should mention that. JazzFest 03 I taped probably 40+ hours in a week. When I got home I had this strange numbness in my hands...turns out I had a mildly compressed disc in my back. Only thing I could think caused it was toting around 75lbs of gear drunk off my ass.

-e

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 03:18:52 PM »

heh..funny you should mention that. JazzFest 03 I taped probably 40+ hours in a week. When I got home I had this strange numbness in my hands...turns out I had a mildly compressed disc in my back. Only thing I could think caused it was toting around 75lbs of gear drunk off my ass.

-e

ouch! hope you are ok...
+t for your back
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »

i'm not sure how everyone ended up powering the mini-me, with RC batteries, but they did....

dry cells, i think, much lighter.  i've never seen a reason to get away from the 12V homebrew or the eco-charge 12V.  You can get bigger ones, to run an entire festival.
i'll look the dry cells up and report back to this thread, cause you got me thinking now.

don't know if you have done this before, but it sounds like a perfect time to check this link/directions out!
http://www.marchingant.net/battpack.htm

EDIT: Here is the ts.com for external RC packs > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2464.0
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 04:45:37 PM by todd e »

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 11:03:10 PM »

i use two Walmart type 9v 5400mAH lithium batteries in series yielding 18v feeding a custom built 14v voltage regulator for power.  i've yet to run out of juice and never see the blinking lights at all.

if you're not comfortable running 14v, then you can run it at 12v.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 08:54:40 AM »

i use two Walmart type 9v 5400mAH lithium batteries in series yielding 18v feeding a custom built 14v voltage regulator for power.  i've yet to run out of juice and never see the blinking lights at all.

if you're not comfortable running 14v, then you can run it at 12v.

marc

i know i'm being lazy, but do you have a picture?  i wouldn't mind getting the next upgrade for my batteries.

Offline Candace

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 12:39:29 AM »
Still trying to figure this out;

Apogee says it takes a 1.3 amp current draw. Here are the specifics:

NOMINAL DC POWER INPUT 12vdc @ 1150-1300mA dependent upon function
INPUT VOLTAGE RANGE +11.5 to +15 Volts DC (well regulated)
INPUT DROPOUT VOLTAGE 10.4 Volts DC
LOW VOLTAGE INDICATOR Power LED Flashes at <11.5vdc Power Input

Note: The AD-1000 will work with any well regulated 12V DC Power source with
an output current of 1300 mA
or greater. We recommend using linear type power supplies Direct connection to
external 12VDC lead acid or
NiCad batteries will provide convenient portable operation.

A 12 volt 7.2 Amp/hours lead-acid battery (NiCad batteries are not
recommended) can be used for portable or
field operation. You will need to interface the battery leads with the 15 pin
HD connector - see drawing for
pinouts.The AD-1000 can also be powered from a car battery.

Do you think something like this:

http://www.vfmstore.com/12vbattery36.htm

could be configured to run the AD1K? If so, how?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 02:23:46 AM »
Do you think something like this:

http://www.vfmstore.com/12vbattery36.htm

could be configured to run the AD1K? If so, how?

I think I linked to the above in another thread.  In poking around a bit, it seems there are better price / performance options.

Any lithium ion battery that supports the AD1K's specs will do, namely:  12v - 15v voltage, 1.3A or greater sustained current draw (or ~16W power), and the capacity you need to achieve your desired run-times should do the trick.  How long do you want to power the AD1K at a stretch?

http://laptopupgrade.stores.yahoo.net/unpodvbapa.html
This one is rated at 4.9 AH and should give you a theoretical ~3.75 hrs of run-time and weighs about a pound.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2650
Per the specs, this one's rated at 71 Wh and should give you a theoretical 4.4 hrs of run-time and weighs 1.5 lbs.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=919
Rated at 4 AH, or ~3 hrs run-time, weighs ~.75 lbs.

https://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=172&strVarSel=&strCompare=
Or you could go with a NiMH pack like this one.  Offers ~3.4 hrs of run-time and weighs about 1.5 lbs.  Cheaper, but longer charge times.  Personally, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks for the li-ion packs and faster run-times. 

FWIW, a roughly equivalent capacity 12v SLA battery, say 4.5AH and ~3 hrs run-time, weighs in at about 4 lbs.

I believe all of the above will satisfy the AD1K's power requirements.  And i'm sure there are other options.  Note you may also find better prices than the above.

In all cases, it's simply a matter of wiring the battery to the AD1K 15-pin connector.  Since you're using SLAs, you must already have a cable capable of delivering the power from an external battery into the AD1K.  I'd just re-use that connector.  Then simply wire one of the batteries above with the same connector and pinout as the one you have on your SLAs power supplies right now.

You may want to consider building a Y power cable for the batteries so you can hot-swap them.  If you're not comfortable doing this stuff yourself, I bet there's one or more TSers who would help you out.  (I'd offer, but my soldering skills are shit.)

All the above options include charger + battery, so you may be able to pick up additional batteries solo at a lower rate since you probably don't need a charger per every battery.

And one final, very important, note:  I do not own, nor have I previously owned, an AD1K, so this is all baed on Apogees specs and run-time estimates, not my actual field experience.  Hopefully others with first-hand experience will chime in.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Candace

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 12:22:09 PM »
Brian:

How do you figure out the potential run times?

Cheers
Candace

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 12:36:12 PM »
spec sez the ad1k draws 1.3amps.  The batteries are rated on amp-hour capacity (i.e. how many hours they'd provide 1amp of current).  So, if you divide the battery's total amp-hour capacity by 1.3 (the amount the ad1k draws), you have an approximation of the potential runtime. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 12:57:01 PM »
spec sez the ad1k draws 1.3amps.  The batteries are rated on amp-hour capacity (i.e. how many hours they'd provide 1amp of current).  So, if you divide the battery's total amp-hour capacity by 1.3 (the amount the ad1k draws), you have an approximation of the potential runtime.

What he said.  :)  And for one of them, the battery specs only listed capacity in Watt-hours (Wh).  So I had to figure out the AD1K's power spec (12v * 1.3A = 15.8W).  So I divided the battery's 71Wh by 16W to get ~ 4.4 hrs run-time.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com