Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: will a "walmart" 9v lion work w/ the mp-2?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline jkoch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
will a "walmart" 9v lion work w/ the mp-2?
« on: August 16, 2005, 03:25:54 PM »
might be a silly question, but before i go playing with things i was curious if this was a possibility. the mp-2 says it takes 5v-15v so there shouldn't be a problem i'm thinking. what connector/cable/polarity would i need though. i was running the 9v lion with the ua-5 so i still have the exact same connector on it. i remember something about the ua-5 having reverse polarity though so i'm thinking i need to change at least the connector on the end (since the battery came w/ like 10 connectors lol). thoughts?

thanks in advance guys
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: will a "walmart" 9v lion work w/ the mp-2?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 04:00:55 PM »
short answer is that you'd need to use a connector that would fit snugly/properly into the mp2 and be sure that polarity is correct so you don't inadvertently fry the mp2.

Longer answer, why not just sell the wallmart external battery and run the mp2 on internal rechargable aa sized nimh batteries.  If I recall correctly a set of these will run the mp2 for a real long time and would be a simple, clean solution.

Offline dlantelme

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 06:03:12 PM »
depends on what you consider a long time. You can't expect more that 3 hours from internal batteries in a MP2, which is fine if you are stealthing and don't want to deal with external batteries. I guess your mics may draw less phantom power than my ccm4 but I doubt it.
 I used a 6v sla for mine, weighed a ton. If you are sure the mp2 can take the 9v, you can certainly modify the plug to the correct polarity and fit, if you are taping openly or an extended period of time I'd use the li-on.
CCM4>SX-M2>UA5>M1

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 06:13:25 PM »
might be a silly question, but before i go playing with things i was curious if this was a possibility. the mp-2 says it takes 5v-15v so there shouldn't be a problem i'm thinking. what connector/cable/polarity would i need though. i was running the 9v lion with the ua-5 so i still have the exact same connector on it. i remember something about the ua-5 having reverse polarity though so i'm thinking i need to change at least the connector on the end (since the battery came w/ like 10 connectors lol). thoughts?

thanks in advance guys

from the online manual:

External DC Power Input:  Accepts external DC power source (battery supply or AC to DC transformer) from 5-18v VDC. Locking, threaded coaxial connector. Center pin = positive, sleeve = negative.

the connector that fits the mp2/mixpre/shure fp24 is:

Switchcraft 761k

walmart type 9v will work fine.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 06:32:19 PM »

from the online manual:

External DC Power Input:  Accepts external DC power source (battery supply or AC to DC transformer) from 5-18v VDC. Locking, threaded coaxial connector. Center pin = positive, sleeve = negative.

the connector that fits the mp2/mixpre/shure fp24 is:

Switchcraft 761k

walmart type 9v will work fine.

marc
thanks a lot mark! the online manuals totally slipped my mind! i'm looking to power it externally for longer open taping shows that may easily go over 4 hours (such as John Butler Trio, Jason Mraz, DMB or ACL Festival). on other occassions i do run it on internal NiMh AAs :) i just want to be sure that if DMB plays a 3 hour set or so, the thing doesn't die on me :)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 07:22:17 PM »
I was messing around w/ a walmart battery and discovered that the same plug for a ua5 also fits an mp2--just reverse the tip.  Not an ideal fit but it worked.

I can get 5+ hours out of a set of 2500mah nimh AA's & that's the best way to go IMO.  But if you really want to use external power on the mp2 I'd suggest getting the a Switchcraft S760K plug, which screws on and won't come off when you don't want it to.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 10:14:58 PM »
so..i bought the switchcraft 761k......and now i have something that i have no clue what to do with. i see no way to connect this connector to the power cable i have that came with the walmart style battery (it's memorex brand if that matters). any help?

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 02:29:14 PM »
 Its not a plug and play tip. if you look at a bit longer you should be able to figure out how to take the case off which will reveal the contacts ..

ya may be better off letting someone else make the cable up for ya..

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 07:19:04 PM »
if i have the same size plug and play tip would that work? should the polarity be + to + (or + to - like the UA5)?  thanks

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »
The mp-2 is tip positive as are most things that I've seen, so w/ an adaptaplug it's '+ to +'.

Look at the external power inputs on the ua5 and the mp2.  They're labeled differently.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com