Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B&K ST-140 fuses  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
B&K ST-140 fuses
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:38:59 AM »
I need a confirmation on the fuses for the B&K ST-140...

Had one blow after my girlfriend attempted to use the stereo when I wasn't home (  ::) ), she's now fully trained in stereo operations and how the pre-amp works! :P

There are three fuses on the back as far as I can remember, one for each channel and another that is above the power supply (top left if looking at the back of the amp)...  The one that is near the power supply is the one that's blown. 

The metal casing of the fuse states 4A 32V 311 -- I've gone to several electronics stores (including ratshack) and none have anything to match it.

A link on B&K's site (PDF) states the ST-140 has a Main AC (line) fuse 8A 250V (Slow blow), Rail (internal) fuse 4A 250V fast blow, and speaker 4A 250V fast blow.

None mention a 4A 32V one, which is maybe why I'm having such a hard time finding it.  Can anyone double check what kind of fuses they have in the back of their ST-140 for me? 
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Re: B&K ST-140 fuses
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 11:25:46 AM »
I need a confirmation on the fuses for the B&K ST-140...

Had one blow after my girlfriend attempted to use the stereo when I wasn't home (  ::) ), she's now fully trained in stereo operations and how the pre-amp works! :P

There are three fuses on the back as far as I can remember, one for each channel and another that is above the power supply (top left if looking at the back of the amp)...  The one that is near the power supply is the one that's blown. 

The metal casing of the fuse states 4A 32V 311 -- I've gone to several electronics stores (including ratshack) and none have anything to match it.

A link on B&K's site (PDF) states the ST-140 has a Main AC (line) fuse 8A 250V (Slow blow), Rail (internal) fuse 4A 250V fast blow, and speaker 4A 250V fast blow.

None mention a 4A 32V one, which is maybe why I'm having such a hard time finding it.  Can anyone double check what kind of fuses they have in the back of their ST-140 for me? 

if you dont hear from someone by this evening drop me an email at jpschust@gmail.com and I'll pull mine out of the closet and look at it.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 11:31:31 AM »
if you dont hear from someone by this evening drop me an email at jpschust@gmail.com and I'll pull mine out of the closet and look at it.

What's the ST-140 doing in the closet instead of (ahem) the YS, hmmmm?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:33:28 AM »

What's the ST-140 doing in the closet instead of (ahem) the YS, hmmmm?

are you saying you want my st-140?  if so, we can talk.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 11:35:36 AM »

No, I'm actually unloading a whole slew of gear right now.  New house can't accomodate 2-3 playback systems, so the other stuff has got to go.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 11:37:52 AM »

No, I'm actually unloading a whole slew of gear right now.  New house can't accomodate 2-3 playback systems, so the other stuff has got to go.

the reason ive been holding on to it, if you must know, is that it is a relatively inexpensive amp, and ive had a running thought that in my office in wherever i buy a place in the coming months id like a really nice biamped 2 channel system for 16 bit playback while i study and work from home.  because it doesn't tie up a lot of cash, i've just hung on to it.  ive had it for well over a year now.

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 03:00:57 PM »

The 250V is the max that the fuse can take, if the amp is only putting out 32V it should be no problem (ie if it were putting out 275V you would have to stop up to say a 500V fuse).  You should however worry about the amperage and the fast blo/slow blo of the fuse.  So a 4A 250V fast blo is what you should probably be looking for, you will not find a 32V one.  What does it say on the actual fuse?
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 03:46:22 PM »

The 250V is the max that the fuse can take, if the amp is only putting out 32V it should be no problem (ie if it were putting out 275V you would have to stop up to say a 500V fuse).  You should however worry about the amperage and the fast blo/slow blo of the fuse.  So a 4A 250V fast blo is what you should probably be looking for, you will not find a 32V one.  What does it say on the actual fuse?

The actual fuse I pulled out of the amp says (from memory):
4A   32V  311

The 311 is in italics on the fuse.  I don't know what it means.  I will look when i get home to see if there are brand markings, etc.   The internal "fusey thing" itself is of the small wire type, not the fatter metal band type.

I see this at the rat shack site, looks like what I need

I had the Radio Shack guy look at the fuse and search around so I'm thinking he also noted it as a 32V fuse.  Said it was an odd combo, the 4A and 32V.

BTW: +T for all in helping me in my fuse quandry ;D

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 09:31:58 AM »
Just an update, I am up and running again ;D

Thanks for all the help guys!

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 11:53:48 AM »
What did you end up doing for the fuse?
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 01:24:01 PM »
I purchased the one linked above from the ratshack...  4A 250V fast blow.  Considering it was on B&K's site listed as the proper fuse I figured it was a safe bet.  Not quite sure about the fuse that was in it before.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com