Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External battery pack for MT2496?  (Read 51139 times)

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
Re: External battery pack for MT2496?
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2006, 11:58:53 PM »
So I got my Shenzhen made Battery Sticks (2200 mAH at 5V or so).
What us the best strategy to use them or any battery pack together with the Microtrack?
Connect the charged battery, start up the MT and record?
Or start just the MT and later connect/power on the batterypack when the MT's battery drains?

What is possible? What is best? (if there is a difference  at all)
I just need the longest continues recording time with the battery capacity I currently have.

I am putting my battery in first, let it boot into charge mode, press delete to boot to active record mode then I can begin to record... I found that plugging the charger in while it is booting will just lock the record button... i could do everything but press record... I removed the battery, rebooted and it was fine... I then put the battery back in and everything worked as expected.

So I guess the answer is, either BEFORE or AFTER but not during startup.
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline jsfrank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2006, 04:40:51 PM »
https://compactimpact.com/shopping/product_info.php?products_id=63&osCsid=78f9f252f5a3ad2ccf4725b16335b695

Bought 2 of these ($10 each) last week. They arrived 2 days later.

I'd love to post run times/performance/etc., but my Microtrack is completely fucked up, so no luck there...

Thanks. I just picked one up.
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline kfrinkle

• Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2006, 02:22:37 PM »
got about 10 hours (between the external and internal battery)....YMMV

akg480/ck63 > Opti-Mod V3 (24/48) > MT 24/96

this is the external battery:
Wow, I would really like one of these batteries.  does anyone carry them not in hong kong? i dont do payapal, so i have to stay away form ebay for hte most part.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2006, 03:32:25 AM »

This one looks very similar to the Shenzhen batteries that I recently got. 10 hours should be plenty for a nice evening.  ;D

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2006, 04:58:50 PM »

I am putting my battery in first, let it boot into charge mode, press delete to boot to active record mode then I can begin to record... I found that plugging the charger in while it is booting will just lock the record button... i could do everything but press record... I removed the battery, rebooted and it was fine... I then put the battery back in and everything worked as expected.

That is really useful information. I did not know you could go from charge mode to active record mode by pressing the record button. I have always waited until after booting up, but sometimes when the second set of a show is beginning, I forget the battery pack is in, and I have to power down and back up. Thanks blindman for the useful tip!!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline kfrinkle

• Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2006, 05:05:40 PM »

This one looks very similar to the Shenzhen batteries that I recently got. 10 hours should be plenty for a nice evening.  ;D

found a place in ireland, gogreen.ie that sells em.  three of us went in together, got them for reasonably cheap.  30 bucks or so i think.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2006, 12:28:49 PM »
http://www.mrgadget.com.au/catalog/usb-device-charger-battery-box-with-flashlight-p-571.html

Would this work?

Is 5.6v correct?

I've used one of these and it works great. But ther are cheaper prices.
http://pdaden.com/shop/catalog/product_16686_USB_Battery_Box_with_LED_light_Emergency_Charger_cat_284.html
I got mine off eBay from these folks for $.01 and even with $10 in shipping it was a bargain. The Flashlight comes in handy as well.
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2006, 07:19:14 AM »

found a place in ireland, gogreen.ie that sells em.  three of us went in together, got them for reasonably cheap.  30 bucks or so i think.
$30? Good!! Thnaks for the link.

Offline patch77s

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2006, 05:18:02 PM »

i just finished reading most of the threads on this topic but i'm still unclear on one thing...  when using a fully charged MicroTrack and an external USB battery box - what happens if you're recording and you unplug the battery box?  and then what happens if you're recording while using the internal battery and you plug in an external battery box?  does either situation cause the recording to stop and/or hiccup?  and can you continue to monitor the levels the whole time?

i would assume it's the same answer as when using the included AC power adapter, but my MT hasn't arrived yet so i can't test it.

steve

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2006, 03:28:31 AM »

i just finished reading most of the threads on this topic but i'm still unclear on one thing...  when using a fully charged MicroTrack and an external USB battery box - what happens if you're recording and you unplug the battery box?  and then what happens if you're recording while using the internal battery and you plug in an external battery box?  does either situation cause the recording to stop and/or hiccup?  and can you continue to monitor the levels the whole time?

i would assume it's the same answer as when using the included AC power adapter, but my MT hasn't arrived yet so i can't test it.

steve

Usually nothing happens connecting or disconnect of USB power, before, during, or after making a recording. 

However, on very rare ocassion the deck has shut down when USB power is disconnected.  But this is the exception and seems to not be repeatable in my experience. 

USB power has NO jack disconnect switch built in so only thing that happens is +5 volt power either appears or disappears from this port while the internal Microtrack battery continues to be on tap for deck powering.  USB power seems to either be applied to powering the charger, but not necessarily soley assigned to power the deck like usual with AC adapter-powered instruments. 

If this is truly the case, then whether the deck has USB power applied or not should make NO difference as long as there is a functionally charged battery inside the deck.  Keeping USB power applied, the deck will appear to shut down, but is actually still running with a blank screen and drawing ~.21 amps.  With USB power, the deck 'instantly' turns on and starts recording with pressing the Power and REC button in quick sequence.  This can be handy if in the field and wanting to avoid the 20 sec boot delay to initiating recording. 

To this end, the BD-MT Power Sled available from my company www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htmallows keeping the deck powered for over 56 hours in standby or recording on 6 D alkaline cells.  Perfect for a full week of music festival or ambient sounds recording.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline patch77s

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2006, 09:48:03 AM »
USB power has NO jack disconnect switch built in so only thing that happens is +5 volt power either appears or disappears from this port while the internal Microtrack battery continues to be on tap for deck powering.  USB power seems to either be applied to powering the charger, but not necessarily soley assigned to power the deck like usual with AC adapter-powered instruments. 

If this is truly the case, then whether the deck has USB power applied or not should make NO difference as long as there is a functionally charged battery inside the deck.

that's exactly what i needed to know - thanks!

btw - your battery sleds look perfect for the scenarios you mentioned.  i'll keep that in mind...

steve

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2006, 01:06:09 AM »

steve

Usually nothing happens connecting or disconnect of USB power, before, during, or after making a recording. 

However, on very rare ocassion the deck has shut down when USB power is disconnected.  But this is the exception and seems to not be repeatable in my experience. 

If this is truly the case, then whether the deck has USB power applied or not should make NO difference as long as there is a functionally charged battery inside the deck.  Keeping USB power applied, the deck will appear to shut down, but is actually still running with a blank screen and drawing ~.21 amps.  With USB power, the deck 'instantly' turns on and starts recording with pressing the Power and REC button in quick sequence.  This can be handy if in the field and wanting to avoid the 20 sec boot delay to initiating recording. 

To this end, the BD-MT Power Sled available from my company www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htmallows keeping the deck powered for over 56 hours in standby or recording on 6 D alkaline cells.  Perfect for a full week of music festival or ambient sounds recording.

Very helpful info from your personal testing, thanks!  ;)  I'm sure many of us appreciate your input, but when did this site allow company advertising??   :police:

Fucking lame.....  :thebirdman:
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2006, 12:29:44 AM »
I don't have a digital camera.  But just hacked one of these:
http://www.dealsonic.com/usbbapabapof.html
Now I run my v2, minime, and mt from a single 6V SLA.  The hack took me no time at all, cost 10$, and it was super simple.  One battery to power everything.  I thought the day would never come.   ;D
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline dmaster

• Taperssection Member
  • dance spaceghost dance!
    • ToriTraders
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2006, 12:00:02 PM »
so, anyone have a working source of a stealthy battery that'll give me maybe a couple extra hours worth of time?

all the links I've tried have been dead so far, or something entirely unsuitable for stealthing.  I don't need 50 hours worth of time, just a couple extra "just in case" because I don't want to blow a show just because I wanted to tape the opening acts as well as the main act and keep the unit powered up between sets. 

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2006, 09:41:43 AM »
I don't have a digital camera.  But just hacked one of these:
http://www.dealsonic.com/usbbapabapof.html
Now I run my v2, minime, and mt from a single 6V SLA.  The hack took me no time at all, cost 10$, and it was super simple.  One battery to power everything.  I thought the day would never come.   ;D

So what is that hack? I could use that.
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.199 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com