Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser Headphone Replacement Cables  (Read 5717 times)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sennheiser Headphone Replacement Cables
« on: October 11, 2005, 04:59:37 PM »
Does anyone here have any experience with replacement cables for their Sennheiser headphones?  My stock cable has a loose connection and I need a new cable, so I'd appreciate any words of wisdom.  :)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Sennheiser Headphone Replacement Cables
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 08:08:56 PM »
I've busted a few of these things myself.  YOu just go to their website and you can order new ones (assuming your phones have breakout cables like mine do).  Should probably buy 2 or 3 cuz the shipping is too much.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 09:17:56 PM »
I've busted a few of these things myself.  YOu just go to their website and you can order new ones (assuming your phones have breakout cables like mine do).  Should probably buy 2 or 3 cuz the shipping is too much.

This is true but I'm using this as justification to buy a fancy new one.   :D

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 09:29:31 PM »
Yeah, get some referance grade sennheisers....for something like $800!!!!!!  Seriously, phones aren't worth that unless you shit gold.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 09:51:27 PM »
Yeah, get some referance grade sennheisers....for something like $800!!!!!!  Seriously, phones aren't worth that unless you shit gold.

If they're one's primary playback system, they're worth every penny!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:59:24 PM »

Meh, I'm just looking to get a new cord but I'd love to pick up a pair of hd650s at some point in the near future.  I think I'm going to try a Cardas cable, I'll give them a little review if anyone else is interested.

If they're one's primary playback system, they're worth every penny!

I couldn't agree more.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 10:58:16 PM »
The cables have a minimini end on em, a standard mini 1/8th doesn't fit...in mine at least.

BobW

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 12:10:49 AM »
Cardas makes 'em. About as much as a pair of HD580s....
Litz wire.

Stefan Audio Art cables are all over the 'Net, and I always have wondered what they sound like.
I'm too cheap to try them.

Sennheiser cables are pretty darn good, IMHO.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 12:17:52 AM »
Does Sennheiser (or anyone else) sell the terminal ends? I wouldn't mind trying to make my own with hyperconductors one of these days.

Since I'm at grad school, my HD600 cans became my primary system for serious listening. I have crap computer speakers for when I just need sound in the room.

Another bonus: good cans will generally sound better than good speakers (because you take the room out of the equation) at a fraction of the price.
Out of the game … for now?

BobW

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 07:04:47 AM »
Does Sennheiser (or anyone else) sell the terminal ends? I wouldn't mind trying to make my own with hyperconductors one of these days.

Since I'm at grad school, my HD600 cans became my primary system for serious listening. I have crap computer speakers for when I just need sound in the room.

Another bonus: good cans will generally sound better than good speakers (because you take the room out of the equation) at a fraction of the price.

Absolutely !
If you use cans allot, try an amp with cross-feed.
It is much more realistic and less tiring with commercial recordings.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 07:15:57 AM »
Sennheiser is AMAZING about carrying parts to their old phones.  I picked up a couple of pairs of foam and a cable for my HD424s.....which incidentally date back to the late 70's.  These things still kick serious ass in my opinion!

BobW

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 01:26:04 PM »
Sennheiser is AMAZING about carrying parts to their old phones.  I picked up a couple of pairs of foam and a cable for my HD424s.....which incidentally date back to the late 70's.  These things still kick serious ass in my opinion!

Still have a pair of HD414s and HD424s, although they live at my nephew's house these days.
I wish they'd bring them back (Sennheiser, I mean, my nephew can enjoy the 'phones as long as they want   ;D  )
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 03:30:03 PM by _Bob_ »

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 05:00:50 PM »

I have the Cardas cable upgrade on my HD-580s and it definitely sounds better than the stock cable.  I've used it for close to a year (every day I'm at work) and there have been no issues with it failing.  I've run it over a couple times with my chair castors and it hasn't damaged the cable at all.

Here's a very good deal on some 650s and the Cardas cable -
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1134103104
This isn't my ad, just passing on a good looking deal.

There are some headphone cable reviews on head-fi.org that I read while deciding on my replacement cable.  My decision was made easier by knowing that Cardas products never tend towards being 'bright'.  I don't want 'bright' several millimeters from my eardrums  ;D

Later,
  pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 06:02:03 PM »
http://www.headphone.com/products/cables/cables-by-others/

http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/products/product.php?category=Headphone%20Accessories

Nick, check this out, maybe this has something to do with your senns if they're a bit older:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10937&highlight=sennheiser+cables

I would personally get a stock cable and maybe look for a nice amp to power the senn's.  I got a tube amp and its killer with the hd 580's....veil?  What veil?   ;D

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 07:36:07 PM »
http://www.headphone.com/products/cables/cables-by-others/

http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/products/product.php?category=Headphone%20Accessories

Nick, check this out, maybe this has something to do with your senns if they're a bit older:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10937&highlight=sennheiser+cables

I would personally get a stock cable and maybe look for a nice amp to power the senn's.  I got a tube amp and its killer with the hd 580's....veil?  What veil?   ;D

Thanks for the tip gloco, I switched the the left plug and the right plug and the intermittency swapped channels so I'm 99.99% it's the cable.  In regards to the stock cable, it's too late I've already placed my order and should have a new Cardas cable by the end of the week.  I agree the Senns and tube amps mate very well together, I run mine through an x-can v2 and I love the combo.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com