Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cpu freeze  (Read 2187 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
cpu freeze
« on: November 04, 2005, 06:06:49 PM »
My cpu is freezing when ever I do something processor intensive.  Like encode video, run virus scan, etc.  It's fine all the other times.  I had this happen 2 years ago on the same chip.  It was a heat issue.  I popped the fan and put some new thermal grease on there.  Anyone got any ideas?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline JackoRoses

• Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
Re: cpu freeze
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 06:16:40 PM »
is the fan working still?
ya might want to reapply new thermal grease.
When was the last time you blew the dust bunnies out of it?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 06:35:55 AM »
what exactly happens when the computer locks up?  does it just shut down, error out, blue screen of death?  It's possible that a ram stick might be flaking out on you or your heat sink might be f'd up too.  If you have a decent case try taking the removable side panel off and then give it hell and see if it still shuts down.  Normally if the chip is running way too hot you'll start seeing drops in performance, like major chugging for any task, or the computer will suddenly shut down.  Yet another possibility is that an IDE slot or cable is shot which would explain your computer freaking out when that device was being used intensively.

1. open the case if possible and run some processes that are making your machine shit out now.  You can check to see if your heat sink is spooling or not here.  Take a look at all the case fans in action also.  No luck?
2. remove a ram stick (assuming you have multiple sticks) and see if that makes any differance.  Try the other too.  No differance put em back in.
3. trouble shoot each IDE device that would be in use with the processes that are causing trouble.
4. if you have the time do a complete reformat and hope it makes a differance.  it could be as simple as sound/video card failure also.  you can dissable those cards and enable your mobo sound/video chips.  If all the devices seem to be working fine but your shit keeps crapping out on you it might be time to consider upgrading.  It's possible that you might have a worn out tired mobo/processor that's ready to retire.

More details would be great but that's just what you should do to troubleshoot your system.  Might also want to reload your BIOS if you've messed with those at all.  More than likely this is a hardware issue though since software issues freak out pcs before they shut down USUALLY.  Oh and yeah, be sure to get rid of all the dust in the case like dude said, that's super important!
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 03:59:58 PM »
thanks evil.  I'll try and see what happens.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 09:23:36 PM »
  If you have a decent case try taking the removable side panel off and then give it hell and see if it still shuts down.  Normally if the chip is running way too hot you'll start seeing drops in performance, like major chugging for any task, or the computer will suddenly shut down. 

accually this is a poor way to check for an overheating problem and is more likely to cause one. the case needs to be closed in order to give it the the right air flow. the "dust bunnies" would be a lesser problem in this situation. other than that........
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 10:00:25 PM »
may be a poor way to check for a heat issue, but it's a good way to allow excess heat buildup to find it's way out.  if you don't have 10 case fans it's a good way to keep a machine running cool as long as the room isn't overly hot.  the guys machine isn't running worth diddly now so it might be an option to get it to work temporarily.  just speaking from personal experience though, i've seen machines that overheat like mad before and your options are usually pretty limited without rebuilding the system...

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 01:09:13 AM »
i don't know from experience, but it's my understanding that, w/ the case open, the air that is suposed to be pulled/pushed(?) across all the components to cool them, doesn't. i see it as puting something in front of the radiater on your car so the heater will work better. which it will. atleast until you crack a head or the block. 

just my $.02
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 02:58:45 AM »
that's a good point, but an open case allow the heat to escape immediately.  heat rises, so it will find it's way out of the case immediately.  case fans basically work like an exhaust system where they take the warm air and dispell it from the case, but when there's a steady supply of cool air available there tends to be much less heat on the mobo or any other components.  i'd definately not recommend leaving a panel off your case permanently, but you can leave the screws out that hold that panel on so you can easily remove it when you need to do something that will give your componenets a hefty workout.  there's alot of other options also though, like a liquid cooling system in your case :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com