Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B&W 801's cheap!  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
B&W 801's cheap!
« on: November 07, 2005, 02:32:58 AM »
Ok, maybe I should have put this in the E-Bay sales section...  ::) NOT AFFILIATED!

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-W-801-Speakers-B-W-1-Start-Price-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ5824444861QQcategoryZ116192QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 pair B&W 801 speakers used.

These are the original 801 Series 80 models.  The serial numbers are #000655 and #000656 These speakers will need some TLC by someone who likes to tinker.  They suffered some abuse by movers when I moved.  They are dusty, cabinets are scratched and dinged.  The guys who moved them took the head units off and in the process disconnected the wires without marking them.  I wasn't present at the time. 

Regarding the speaker enclosure on the LEFT in the main photo: The tweeter and tweeter housing on one head unit was knocked off and lost during the move and since the move I'm getting no sound out of this enclosure at all, I don't know why.  This enclosure has a Non-B&W bass driver installed which is made by Pyle, (It was that way when I got the pair), I might also note that the paper center cone of the Pyle bass driver is dented in.  The contour control wasn't working when I bought these.  It has a burnt component on the circuit as you can see in the close up detail.  I have been told by 801 enthusiasts that the original series 801's actually sound better if you bypass this contour circuit completely anyway as it muddy's the sound and just wire the mid and high drivers direct to the crossover.  That may be how its wired now, I don't know I don't have a schematic.  But you could consider doing that if it hasn't been done already, rather than repair the burnt component on the contour control.

Regarding the speaker Enclosure on the RIGHT in the main photo: It Sounds Good, but the tweeter isn't putting out sound since the move.  I don't know why.  I don't have a wiring schematic for these and I don't know how the wiring of the head units should be properly connected.  I've not worked on these at all. 

I won't be able to provide any technical assistance, I've given you all the info I have.  I bought this pair of 801's used for about $900   :o I'm selling these AS-IS with a $1 start price and no reserve, as I have enough projects.  But you could figure that an overview of this would be that you need one possibly two tweeters, one tweeter housing, Plus one original bass driver (if you want the most accurate bass response), you should be handy with a solder gun and understand the circuit. 

The wood should refinish nicely if care about the cosmetics, the scratches are not deep gouges, the veneer is not damaged or delaminating, the wood "Has Not" been discolored by sunlight they have a nice dark rich color. Nice matched veneers, Likely Walnut with a dark stain or Teak, possibly Koa or Rosewood.  There are no castors. I can't find the grills for the bass drivers.  I don't know the date of manufacture, B&W tech would be able to tell you if you made an inquiry.

Shipping on these is going to be expensive.  I will build a couple of plywood crates to ship them in.  Figure $225 - $375 should cover the cost of Crating materials and Fed-Ex Ground shipping anywhere in the lower 48 States. 
Each enclosure weighs about 115 pounds.  Plywood and packaging materials for crating would weigh about an additional 40 - 70 pounds for each enclosure. I will only charge the actual cost of shipping and crating materials. 

I will bring these to you if live within 100 miles of Salinas California for $50  No refunds - Exchanges or Guarantees, this auction is as-is.  I will need to be paid in full BEFORE shipping or delivery.

I figure $10 should be enough for a box of heavy duty garbage bags.

I think I'll buy em for the Pyle driver woofer.  :P

« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 02:35:09 AM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: B&W 801's cheap!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 07:00:24 AM »
that makes me cry..

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 04:09:02 PM »
put this in the rediculously over priced and over charging for shipping section :)
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 06:29:02 PM »
put this in the rediculously over priced and over charging for shipping section :)

I could get a dumpster sent to him for less than $225 - $375.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 07:05:15 AM »
if they ran...and were still beatup finish wise, they'd be worth an easy $1200.
but i wouldnt' be to psyched to get world class B&W's with a "pyle driver" whoofer in one.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 11:03:10 AM »

I could get a dumpster sent to him for less than $225 - $375.

:lol:
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 12:09:02 PM »
if they ran...and were still beatup finish wise, they'd be worth an easy $1200.
but i wouldnt' be to psyched to get world class B&W's with a "pyle driver" whoofer in one.

Don't forget the missing tweeter + housing.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 02:36:18 PM »
oh yea...that too.
:P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com