Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A question for the home recording hobbyist out there..  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Cactus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sittin @ 4-5 2 in a row...WOW!!!
A question for the home recording hobbyist out there..
« on: November 12, 2005, 03:25:35 PM »
hey now,  im pretty ignorant when it comes to recording so please excuse my ignorance. i recently purchased a presonus firebox unit (actually havnt received it yet) to do some home recording. it doesnt quite meet my capacity as far as inputs go so im purchasing a seperate mixer. here is my question. when i run out of the mixer (analog) and into the firebox is the mixer read as 1 track or multiple?. for example . if i have say 6 mics hooked up to the mixer and then run it out will this be read as 1 track or 6 different tracks?i want each individual band member to be on seperate tracks and  i may have to go the digital mixer route to accomplish my needs. not sure..

thanks in advance
Cactus ... Cactus

Bring Back The Ugly Funk

Resident Married, Broke, And On Hiatus Taper

Offline mattinbeloit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: A question for the home recording hobbyist out there..
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 11:41:27 PM »
Are you going to be running this into a computer? Because if you are running into a computer using protools or something you can change all that stuff in the protools progam itself. I'm not sure if this helps....

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 12:14:42 AM »
hey now,  im pretty ignorant when it comes to recording so please excuse my ignorance. i recently purchased a presonus firebox unit (actually havnt received it yet) to do some home recording. it doesnt quite meet my capacity as far as inputs go so im purchasing a seperate mixer. here is my question. when i run out of the mixer (analog) and into the firebox is the mixer read as 1 track or multiple?. for example . if i have say 6 mics hooked up to the mixer and then run it out will this be read as 1 track or 6 different tracks?i want each individual band member to be on seperate tracks and  i may have to go the digital mixer route to accomplish my needs. not sure..

thanks in advance

depending on how you set up the recording app, its either going to be a stereo track or 2 mono tracks

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 09:22:22 PM »
A few options that will solve your problem:

MOTU 828mkII or 896HD
Presonus Firepod
M-Audio Project Mix I/O
Digidesign Digi 002
Alesis Multimix series mixers
Mackie Onyx series mixers + onyx firewire add on

There's bound to be other options but that's what I saw at a quick glance through a musicians friend catalog.  All of those items will stream multitrack recording to your computer via firewire.  Prepare to spend some money.  As for sending an analog mixer into your current system, it's just gonna take the stereo output from the mixer and see it as a L/R stereo track.  Unless you have some sort of other firewire audio interface you'll probably need to buy a completely new setup for this kind of recording.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 11:26:20 PM »
couldn't you get 4 discrete inputs using this setup?  the 2 xlr ins on the front and the 2 1/4" ins on the rear, pulling signal off the onserts of each channel of the mixer?

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com