Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wall treatments for listening room?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Wall treatments for listening room?
« on: November 30, 2005, 10:39:19 AM »
I am setting up a dedicated listening room in my basement and need some ideas for wall treatments.  Since it isn't clear how much use this room will get, I want to do something fairly low cost and temporary.  Appearance is not critical.  No need to worry about deadening the sound from the rest of the house, just killing reflections.

The back wall where I sit, and the left wall, are pine. The room is 10.5x19.5.

The wall behind the speakers and the right wall are concrete.  Ceiling is drywall. Floor is linoleum on concrete.

Thanks!

concrete
       cccccccccccccccccc
       w  ---      ---  c
 wood  w                c
       w                c  10.5'
       w                c
       w    seating     c
       wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwc
            19.5'

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Wall treatments for listening room?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 10:50:45 AM »
Rug is going to be a must.  What furniture will you have (leather sofa, etc)?  Do a search and you should find a bunch on the subject.  I used Knauf duct liner and others are using Owens Corning 703 and 705 rigid fiberglass

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 12:10:52 PM »
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 12:22:04 PM »
There are quite a few commercial options but I would tend towards DIY because you can dress them in whatever color you need to increase the WAF rating. 

I'm at a terminal where I don't have access to my bookmarks, but somewhere in this forum I posted a link to DIY panels using compressed rigid fiberglass panels wrapped in batting and dressed with burlap.  The ones I made have been really very good for their intended use at the first reflection point.  I may have posted pics of my project.

There are similar designs floating around for easy DIY bass traps using rigid fiberglass pipe insulation with MDF caps.  Thats an easy after noon project and requires only a tube of construction adhesive to assemble.

There are designs for room lens clones.  I built the room lens clones and they worked great - really helped suppress side wall reflections when positioned outboard of the speaker baffles.  Very low WAF and two active dogs is the only reason they aren't permanantly placed in my room.

Use google to find the "Jon Risch" designs.  Lots of info on audio asylum.  Personally I like the rigid fiberglass solutions better than his designs that use rolled glass, but his page will give you an idea of what can be accomplished at a low cost.  I did use his room lens cloan design.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 01:00:14 PM »
It's really easy to do.  Buy some Burlap or other pourous acceptable materia, build a 6 inch wooden frame, attach 703/705 or other acceptable material, cover said material, and attach frame.  Walla, wall tratements.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

BobW

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 04:35:17 PM »
Make the 6x6 frame traps, make drum bass traps for the corners (garbage cans full of fluff), and I'd breakup the concrete wall with glued on eggcrate foam (no smoking!) and cover it with curtains.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 10:42:25 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com