Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NiMH Rechareables/PMD660  (Read 21964 times)

Offline d5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
NiMH Rechareables/PMD660
« on: December 01, 2005, 07:50:03 PM »
I just purchased a couple sets of Maha Powerex NiMH 2500 mAh batteries. I tested them in a PMD660 against the regular alkalines I had been using and the increase was pretty good. With Energizer alkalines I was able to get 4:24 of record time and with the Powerex's I was able to get 7:04. I'm using a 4GB CF card, so at 16/44.1, I can fill up the card before having to change batteries. The 7:04 time was on the 2nd charge cycle, so I expect a slight increase on future charge cycles.

One odd thing about the PMD660 and rechargeables... with some rechargeables, the body is slightly longer and the positive post is slight shorter. The 660 battery compartment has little tolerance for this. When I first tried the Maha's, the 660 would NOT power on because the batteries weren't making contact (almost impossible to see). I ended up placing a paper shim behind each of the 4 positive contacts to get it to work.

Both tests were done with the PMD660, 16/44.1 stereo, with JW mod AKG 461's, phantom power on, attenuation on, normal meter lights on
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 06:22:02 AM by d5 »
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re: NiMH Rechareables/PMD660
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 01:24:48 AM »
That's impressive with those powerex's.... I think I might need to pick up a set for my R-1.

I can get 4.5hrs with a set of 2100mah nonamers on it, so with some nice powerex's... 5+!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 07:28:55 AM »
you gatta love 7 hours on 4 AAs in a tiny little 660 that sounds FUCKING BAD ASS
love that box.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 04:59:40 PM »

One odd thing about the PMD660 and rechargeables... with some rechargeables, the body is slightly longer and the positive post is slight shorter. The 660 battery compartment has little tolerance for this. When I first tried the Maha's, the 660 would NOT power on because the batteries weren't making contact (almost impossible to see). I ended up placing a paper shim behind each of the 4 positive contacts to get it to work.

Both tests were done with the PMD660, 16/44.1 stereo, with JW mod AKG 461's, phantom power on, attenuation on, normal meter lights on

Ok, I'm getting the same thing with the longer bodies. What do mean by placing a paper shim (pictures) behind each + contact? I just purchased a 6V battery (7.2 Ah) with a charger and was going to make a battery pack with a 5V regulator. I haven't been able to get that much recording time from my NiMH batteries which is why I purchased it. I have two sets of 2500mAh, a set of 2300mAh and a set of 2000mAh and a LaCrosse charger but I seem to get about 2 hours max....I'm running 16/44.1, phantom on, attenuation @ -20dB, matters @ peak only. I have charged my NiMH a few times from my last recording so I think they have a little more capacity than originally. Should I just hook my 660 up and dummy run it in the living room to see how long they will run. Should I go with the battery pack (Doug advised against having one and said to just use the AAs) or return it tomorrow?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 05:09:32 PM by tfs8271 »
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 03:12:06 AM »
def dummy run them first to get MAX recording tim, I do this w/ ANY new battb setups I get
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 08:34:44 AM »
What do mean by placing a paper shim (pictures) behind each + contact?

see below... about the thickness of a business card should do.

I also shaved a little plastic off the rests inside the battery compartment that support the positive side of the battery. You can see this in the picture; the jagged plastic on each side of the positive contact. I was real careful doing this, making sure to only take off a sliver and making sure not to let any drop inside the 660.

... I seem to get about 2 hours max....I'm running 16/44.1, phantom on, attenuation @ -20dB, matters @ peak only. I have charged my NiMH a few times from my last recording so I think they have a little more capacity than originally. Should I just hook my 660 up and dummy run it in the living room to see how long they will run.

It's possible that you're only getting 2 hours because only 2 of the 4 batteries are making contact. The 660 battery compartment is apparently wired (2 in series) in parallel with (2 in series) and will power up and work with only 2 batteries installed ...go figure.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 08:46:44 AM by d5 »

Offline tfs8271

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 09:58:06 AM »
What do mean by placing a paper shim (pictures) behind each + contact?

see below... about the thickness of a business card should do.

I also shaved a little plastic off the rests inside the battery compartment that support the positive side of the battery. You can see this in the picture; the jagged plastic on each side of the positive contact. I was real careful doing this, making sure to only take off a sliver and making sure not to let any drop inside the 660.

... I seem to get about 2 hours max....I'm running 16/44.1, phantom on, attenuation @ -20dB, matters @ peak only. I have charged my NiMH a few times from my last recording so I think they have a little more capacity than originally. Should I just hook my 660 up and dummy run it in the living room to see how long they will run.

It's possible that you're only getting 2 hours because only 2 of the 4 batteries are making contact. The 660 battery compartment is apparently wired (2 in series) in parallel with (2 in series) and will power up and work with only 2 batteries installed ...go figure.

Thanks so much. Before your reply I used a sliver of heavy stock paper and bang it worked. I got about 3 hours before I ran out of memory (still can't bring myself to deleting my first show off it - Mule 10-21 Warfield - even though I have downloaded it and stored on dvd). Then I deleted that, listened to ~ 30 minutes on it. Set it back up and got about another 2.5 hours on the batteries. I'm taking the battery pack back to the store and I'm getting more 2500mAh batteries instead. Much easier for traveling.

Yeah the two batteries was probably what happened, because one show I turned my recorder on with freshly charged batteries and the bar indicated that I had only a half power rating.

John Thanks a million....if you're ever in Chico the beer is on me...or soda if you don't drink.

or Oade Mod R4

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 10:19:46 AM »
....if you're ever in Chico the beer is on me...or soda if you don't drink.

glad it worked! beer is fine!

Offline vox humana

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 12:26:32 PM »
I had the same problem with my Oade-modified 660. All I did was shave down the ridges with a chisel and everything works. No need to put paper behind the + terminal.

I wrote Doug Oade about this and he suggested that the batteries needed to be conditioned. Since I'd been using some of these batteries already, that seemed unlikely. Thanks for steering me to a simple solution.

The 660, btw, is working very well with Neumann KM 100s & 184s recording classical choral and pipe organ. Very clean and quiet recordings. Now I'm looking forward to using it without being tethered to an AC outlet! Thanks!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
you gatta love 7 hours on 4 AAs in a tiny little 660 that sounds FUCKING BAD ASS
love that box.

I concur Nick.  I gave your Ratdog recording another listen.  Jezuz, does that preamp in that puppy sound like a V3 or what?  Silk!   :coolguy:

Offline chucky

• Taperssection Member
  • Hookd on cronics
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »
If in a pinch grab the nearest wook by his dreads and rip those doses out his mouth. ;D

Offline tfs8271

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 12:13:03 PM »
If in a pinch grab the nearest wook by his dreads and rip those doses out his mouth. ;D

Gel tabs work the best, until they get wet  ;D.

or Oade Mod R4

Offline chucky

• Taperssection Member
  • Hookd on cronics
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 12:19:31 PM »
Gel tabs work the best, until they get wet  ;D.

Good call, you might even want to grab his heady nug jug, pack yourself a bowl,
and run the stem behind all four. ;)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 08:49:18 PM »
love that box.

I concur Nick.  I gave your Ratdog recording another listen.  Jezuz, does that preamp in that puppy sound like a V3 or what?  Silk!   :coolguy:

I also just love that recording. It's sublime  :)
I'm really hoping for that same sound from the ACM PMD 671.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 05:12:36 PM »
fwiw, I think this tops ratdog.
www.nickspicks.com/mp3/phil2006-02-22set2t06.flac
waste a disc and give that a listen...at concert volume.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com