Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HDMI audio and video question...  (Read 3115 times)

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
HDMI audio and video question...
« on: January 16, 2006, 11:47:24 AM »
Ok! This is the system in the den... I have a Sony 34" XBR widescreen TV with HDMI inputs in the back, and optical audio out. I have my surround system running off the Sony DA3000ES with plenty of optical and coax ins and outs, but no HDMI plugs. I want to add a DVD player with HDMI out, but I think the audio sounds great as is for now. Is there a way to send only the video signal through the HDMI cable and still have the audio sent directly to the DA3000ES, or will I have to send everything through the HDMI cable, and then send the audio from the optical out on the TV to the DA3000ES? I guess I would also have to send component video to the DA3000ES for any onscreen programming. After trying to do some research online, I couldn't find anything that would answer my question. Is this something that is possible, or can you program some DVD players to split the audio/video signals and send them from different outputs? Anyone have a better idea? Any help would be most appreciated...
Right now, I am sending component video and optical audio to the DA3000ES, and then component to the TV.
Brad K.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: HDMI audio and video question...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 02:08:55 PM »
You need to run HDMI audio and video.  Just run the HDMI to the display and the optical or coax to the receiver.  BTW, what DVD player are you using?

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 02:51:39 PM »
   Right now, I'm just using an Onkyo DV-SP800, but this will be moved to my "listening room", and I am looking to purchase a new DVD player with an HDMI output. I'm looking at the Denon 2910, but I haven't decided on anything yet. I still want to have the option of DVD-A and SACD, but video will be most important!
   I was hoping there was a way to split the audio from the HDMI output, but I guess I'll get it to work. I guess I can send the audio from the optical output of the TV to the DA3000ES, and also run a component cable back to the TV into a separate input for any on-screen audio setup, or just skip the on-screen setup completely! I am just hoping the TV won't alter the audio at all even though it will stay digital as it passes through.
   Who knows, maybe I should just get another decent player and keep the connections as component. Just searching for better options...

Brad K.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 03:37:42 PM »
I suggest heading to avsforum and read the 2910 owners thread. This player has macroblocking issues on some displays.  Why split the audio track from the video via HDMI?  I'm sure ram electronics sells a splitter of some sort.  Never really looked into doing what you are trying to accomplish.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 03:45:33 PM »
This player has macroblocking issues on some displays. 

what does this mean?

on a related note, is HDMI always preferable to component video?  what i mean is when using HDMI, you are using the TV's video d>a converter's, correct?  so, in some cases will the dvd player's video d>a be better than the TV and using component video is actually a better option?

I have the Onkyo DV-SP800 and will likely be finally going to an HDTV soon and trying to figure out whether i should be in the market for a new dvd player as well...

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
I suggest heading to avsforum and read the 2910 owners thread. This player has macroblocking issues on some displays.  Why split the audio track from the video via HDMI?  I'm sure ram electronics sells a splitter of some sort.  Never really looked into doing what you are trying to accomplish.

Didn't know this! Thanks Scott! +T!!!
Basically, the only thing I want to to use the HDMI connection, but only hoping the digital audio is not getting altetred while passing through the TV and on to the receiver. I guess trial and error will be my best bet there...
As for a new player, I will check out the avsforum for other options...

Brad K.

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 04:33:26 PM »
I have the Onkyo DV-SP800 and will likely be finally going to an HDTV soon and trying to figure out whether i should be in the market for a new dvd player as well...

I use the Onyko DV-SP800 w/a 50" plasma and it looks fantastic.  I would *like* to upgrade to the SP-1000 w/HDMI, but I don't think it'll be worth the money, especially with HD/Blu-ray discs around the corner.   The Onkyo is a great player and once you hook it up to an HDTV (using a good quality set of component cables) and tweak your picture settings using a calibration disc, you'll be drooling :)

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 04:55:15 PM »

Basically, the only thing I want to to use the HDMI connection, but only hoping the digital audio is not getting altetred while passing through the TV and on to the receiver. I guess trial and error will be my best bet there...

Brad K.

Brad,

I don't think that your digital output on your TV will act as a 'passthru' for your HDMI source.   Maybe they changed the TVs, but I think almost all TVs with the optical out only output a signal for your OTA tuner (maybe this is covered in the TV's manual?).  So it is highly likely the optical output is only active when you are watching OTA HDTV.  You can double check by attaching an optical cable to the TV's optical out, then looking for the red light on the other end of the cable as you cycle through your sources on the TV.

If that's the case, you'd want to have a direct digital audio connection from your DVD player to your Sony 3000 rcvr.

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 05:20:20 PM »

Brad K.

Brad,

I don't think that your digital output on your TV will act as a 'passthru' for your HDMI source.   Maybe they changed the TVs, but I think almost all TVs with the optical out only output a signal for your OTA tuner (maybe this is covered in the TV's manual?).  So it is highly likely the optical output is only active when you are watching OTA HDTV.  You can double check by attaching an optical cable to the TV's optical out, then looking for the red light on the other end of the cable as you cycle through your sources on the TV.

If that's the case, you'd want to have a direct digital audio connection from your DVD player to your Sony 3000 rcvr.

Later,
   pjdavep

Good point!!! +T!!! As of right now, I have just standard cable from the wall going directly into the TV. It has a built-in HD tuner, and the optical digi out is only active in digital channels. For the standard "analog" stations, I have to use the analog outputs from the TV! I think this answers my question! If I want to use the HDMI cable and still have digital theater, I need a receiver with HDMI plugs! DAMN!!! Well, looks like I'll stay with the component cables for now. No complaints with the picture quality, but was hoping for a little better with the HDMI! Oh well, looks like I will need another receiver sometime...
Brad K.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 06:31:16 PM »

Brad K.

Brad,

Later,
   pjdavep

Good point!!! +T!!! As of right now, I have just standard cable from the wall going directly into the TV. It has a built-in HD tuner, and the optical digi out is only active in digital channels. For the standard "analog" stations, I have to use the analog outputs from the TV! I think this answers my question! If I want to use the HDMI cable and still have digital theater, I need a receiver with HDMI plugs! DAMN!!! Well, looks like I'll stay with the component cables for now. No complaints with the picture quality, but was hoping for a little better with the HDMI! Oh well, looks like I will need another receiver sometime...
Brad K.

I still do not get it???  Why not run HDMI to the display for video and run an optical or coax digi from the dvd player to the receiver for audio?  These digi outs are active even with HDMI turned on (at least with my SP1000).

HDMI cables should be used for long runs.  If the tv has a better upconversion process/chip running 480i would be best (very few players will output 480i over HDMI which really sucks for those who want to use an outboard scaler.  Is this a digital display (DLP, LCD, Plasma)?  If so, HDMI will eliminate one ADC step.  If you are using a higher end DVD player with a Faroudja 2310 chip or SI504 (Denon and most other use the FL2310, Onkyo uses SI504).  Read up on the pros and cons of both chips.  Basically they are both great for film based material while the FL2310 is slightly beter for video based.

Macroblocking is something better seen.  Search for it on avsforum and I'm sure someone will have posted screen shots of it.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 09:29:59 AM »

Brad K.

Brad,

Later,
   pjdavep

Brad K.

I still do not get it???  Why not run HDMI to the display for video and run an optical or coax digi from the dvd player to the receiver for audio?  These digi outs are active even with HDMI turned on (at least with my SP1000).

HDMI cables should be used for long runs.  If the tv has a better upconversion process/chip running 480i would be best (very few players will output 480i over HDMI which really sucks for those who want to use an outboard scaler.  Is this a digital display (DLP, LCD, Plasma)?  If so, HDMI will eliminate one ADC step.  If you are using a higher end DVD player with a Faroudja 2310 chip or SI504 (Denon and most other use the FL2310, Onkyo uses SI504).  Read up on the pros and cons of both chips.  Basically they are both great for film based material while the FL2310 is slightly beter for video based.

Macroblocking is something better seen.  Search for it on avsforum and I'm sure someone will have posted screen shots of it.

Scott, that was sort of my original question, but maybe not worded correctly. I was curious if the video signal from the DVD player could be sent through the HDMI cable, and still send the audio from the digi-out of the DVD player to the receiver. I had heard the HDMI cable would disable all other digi-outs. Thanks for the help guys... +T
Brad K.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.206 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com