Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dvd-a player ecommendations  (Read 7689 times)

Offline cbd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stylin' & Profilin'
    • http://phishhook.com/lists/cbd
dvd-a player ecommendations
« on: January 20, 2006, 07:15:46 PM »
looking to get a new dvd player that is dvd-a compatible. any suggestions of brand/model no's that people are happy with? In general, I haven't been happy with the performance of my existing NAD T533 dvd player.
B&K4022>Sonosax>744

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: dvd-a player ecommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 07:16:23 PM »
pioneer elite dv-45a

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 10:33:05 PM »
budget?

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 07:41:46 PM »
sorry for the slight highjack, but I'm looking at getting a dvd-a player as well.

Should I get the Denon 2910? I've had my eye on it for a while and it looks promising. Can anyone comment on how it handles dvd-r's and/or dual layer dvd-r's? Any other models I should look at in the $600ish price range.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 01:44:07 PM »
I can tell you the Denon 2200 does not handle dvd-r's well.  I have one for DVD-Video and it will typically play 60% of a DVD-R Audio disc and suddenly stop.  I've never been able to listen to a complete show with that player.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 01:52:15 PM by phoam »

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 04:47:33 PM »
I can tell you the Denon 2200 does not handle dvd-r's well.  I have one for DVD-Video and it will typically play 60% of a DVD-R Audio disc and suddenly stop.  I've never been able to listen to a complete show with that player.

I'll comment similar experiences with dvd-a on recordable media.  It plays dvd-v 24/96 audio dvd-r media fine (that is, audio dvd generated discs).  Store bought dvd-a stuff sounds great and its a great video option, but its definitely picky with dvd-a (r/rw) stuff.  Never worked when I used Wavelab to burn discs...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »

I'll comment similar experiences with dvd-a on recordable media.  It plays dvd-v 24/96 audio dvd-r media fine (that is, audio dvd generated discs).  Store bought dvd-a stuff sounds great and its a great video option, but its definitely picky with dvd-a (r/rw) stuff.  Never worked when I used Wavelab to burn discs...

Wboswell, are you talking about the 2200 as well? 
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 05:42:17 PM »
If I had better than modest programming abilities, I'd cobble together a media center PC for my homegrown stuff amd D/Ls.
Add that InterVideo's WinDVD will play DVD-As on the PC.
Get a good DAC, like a Grace or Benchmark and you'd be golden.

Perhaps the best DVD-A player is none at all.   

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 05:55:04 PM »
If I had better than modest programming abilities, I'd cobble together a media center PC for my homegrown stuff amd D/Ls.
Add that InterVideo's WinDVD will play DVD-As on the PC.
Get a good DAC, like a Grace or Benchmark and you'd be golden.

Perhaps the best DVD-A player is none at all.   

I could never get WinDVD to play DVD-A to my liking, gaps and sudden freezes, even when I was playing the VOBs(or whatever they are) from the harddrive.
If you got a PC in the mix it is easier to keep em as flacs, plus it takes ~half the space on a DVD.  I have a little autorun script I add to open up a playlist in winamp.

We have 2 toshibas in the house that are kinda sketcy on certain media, I think leehookem just got a LG that he says plays everything he has thrown at it.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline RDunn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 06:03:41 PM »
Craig,

I picked up the Denon DVD-1920 and it works great.  Supports DVD-Audio and SACD.

RD
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
I have a Denon 5900 and it is solid as a rock......plays anything I throw at it.
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 06:59:34 PM »

interesting.  my Denon 2200 plays every disc with no problems.  I don't have any store bought discs, these are all burned DVD-A discs using Discwelder or DVD-Audiofile.
The one quirk I have noticed is that it sometimes stops playing after 2 hours of continuous playback.  not always, but sometimes.  and it'll never stop playback at any other time.  all it takes to get it going again is to press stop and then play.  and then it continues to play fine, including the stuff after the 2 hour mark.  but I've never had a problem with any disc just not playing.

I know that's a weird quirk, and it'd probably bother some people more than it bothers me.  That's why I'm not giving it a glowing recommendation, and in a few years, I'll probably get a different deck.  Anyway, just thought I'd chime in about the Denon DVD players.

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 09:21:30 PM »
I use an Onkyo DV-SP1000 for listening to DVD-R Audio, CD's, SACD, DVD-A and it plays beautifully.

However, a portion of my shows on DVD-R Audio will only play from one channel with the SP1000.  It's odd.  The same discs that would play from both channels with the Denon 2200.  All discs were authored the same way - with DiscWelder Steel.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 11:18:13 AM »

no.  I've got a 2900.  It plays shows burned with Discwelder Steel if you use the internal DAC, but if you send the signal s/pdif out, it only play out of one channel, similar to what's mentioned above. 

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 12:55:52 PM »

no.  I've got a 2900.  It plays shows burned with Discwelder Steel if you use the internal DAC, but if you send the signal s/pdif out, it only play out of one channel, similar to what's mentioned above. 

Wow, that surprises me.  I really want to purchase one of these, and I use wavelab for dvd-a's.  Thanks for the response - I'm glad I haven't purchased yet!  +T
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com