Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bettery external for R1  (Read 3556 times)

Offline macacopowa

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Barcelona Projecte Musical
Bettery external for R1
« on: January 26, 2006, 02:39:31 AM »
Hi, re-reading the manual i can found the imput voltage of DC, are 3v...i have a powerrunner like this http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=919 , in other thread i can read that the dc imput of edirol R1 is a adaptaplug "B"...then there will be no problem in using this external battery? any experience about that?
Thanks in advance
respectable rig:
Neumann km184 > Hi Ho Silver Clad Cables thegreatgumbino style> SD722

stealth way
CMC-8>3wire bb>R1/ ihp120

recordings on LMAhttp://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danimacaco

http://myspace.com/musickapes       http://db.etree.org/macacopowa

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Bettery external for R1
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 02:49:15 AM »
What's the need for an external battery?  You can get around 8 hours from a pair of Lithium Ions batteries and can just swap in a second set if you run out of power.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:06:31 AM »
Liability with externally connected power supply into the AC adapter jack is if there is any sort of glitch in that external connection, owners manual warns of lost CF data at least.  Being a taper myself, and knowing power plugs can get moved around at times, decided to go the safe way with 2 C or D cell external pack connected with 'dummy cells' that also lets the deck's battery indicator show remaining capacity. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 07:23:20 AM »
Being a taper myself, and knowing power plugs can get moved around at times, decided to go the safe way with 2 C or D cell external pack connected with 'dummy cells' that also lets the deck's battery indicator show remaining capacity. 

is there a 'remaining capacity' feature on the r1?  i've owned one for months and am unaware of this.  there is a the countdown on record time, but that's all i know of.  clarify, please?

Offline gewwang

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 10:26:28 AM »
I don't think there's a remaining capacity countdown meter. Just the flashing low battery indicator which I've never gottenin the field since it didn't come on until about 5 hrs of record time in my at home test.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 04:36:46 AM »
Checked the manual, and (right-on) NO gage, only 'low battery' warning as mentioned; this (likely) not working with AC adapter jack connected battery.

Manual indicates run time with internal AA alkalines is ~2 hours recording 192Kbps MP3 file, ~5.5 hour playback
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 01:03:46 PM »
Checked the manual, and (right-on) NO gage, only 'low battery' warning as mentioned; this (likely) not working with AC adapter jack connected battery.

Manual indicates run time with internal AA alkalines is ~2 hours recording 192Kbps MP3 file, ~5.5 hour playback

They obviously didn't test the unit with 2500mah NiMH's... I can get well over 5 hours with 2 of these.

I would suggest just going to thomas distributing and ordering 4 or 8 Powerex 2500mah NiMH's... if you don't have a charger, you can get a combo deal with a sweet Maha charger for under $30. A great deal, and GREAT batteries and charger... don't bother with external packs for the reasons listed above by others.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 01:29:23 PM »
I've got the PowerEx 2500's and the ANSMANN 2600's both from Thomas Distributing and they both work great with the R1. Not sure what people were saying earlier about rechargeables physically being too big for the R1 because I didn't have that problem with mine.

Offline hurleytom

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 06:19:06 AM »
Using a pair of Vapex 2500mAh batteries I've got 6 hours 10 minutes  using only the internal R1 mic (waiting on CMC-4s to arrive yet - don't know if they would affect run-times?).

I use the Uniross Sprint 15min LCD charger - charges the Vapex batteries in about 30 mins including trickle charge.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 09:35:52 AM »
I use the Uniross Sprint 15min LCD charger - charges the Vapex batteries in about 30 mins including trickle charge.

FWIW, Thomas Distributing has an article on their site explaining that a slow charger will increase the life of your rechargables instead of a fast charger.

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 05:35:10 PM »
I use rechargable energizer 2500's for my R1 and I can consistently get about 6 hours of recording time. This is plenty of time for it only being 2 AA batteries.  I recorded the 5 hour Jerry Garcia Tribute at Gathering of the Vibes last summer. I had the 10 band EQ effect on for that recording. This uses much more battery power. I ended up changing the batteries at about the 3.5-4 hour mark.

Also, keep in mind that if you have your headphones plugged in the whole time, it will also use up some more power as well.

All things considered, I wouldn't worry about getting an external power supply for the R1.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com