Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Surrond Sound Reciever  (Read 2415 times)

Offline morningdew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Surrond Sound Reciever
« on: February 01, 2006, 10:33:20 AM »
I'm starting a simple system.

What I have:

1. 15' X 18' room.
2. A 42" HD TV.
3. 5 Bose dual cube speakers with sub-woofer (AM-15?).  I know...I know...but I need to get other components before I replace these.

Goals:

1. Some unit (Receiver?) to handle my needs.
2. A quality DVD player to playback DVDs in surround and with a quality picture.
3. A qualtiy CD player for my personal listening (HDCD, etc).
4. The ability to play movies in the DVD player (no sound) and at the same time play CDs w/ sound in the CD player (I have a lot of small parties and like to have something on the TV while some music is playing).  Basically the receiver needs to be able to send the video from the DVD to the TV and the sound from the CD to the speakers.

Can I do this with a budget of $600?

If yes, what models for a receiver, dvd, cd do you suggest?

If a good DVD/CD combo exists it would be even better because then I could use the CD part when I'm doing my listening and the DVD part for when we're watching movies.  During the parties I could use my old cheap CD player (assumming the receiver would take 2 CD players) and play the music through that. No need for pristine CD audio during a party.

If it matters, futre plans:

To replace the surround speakers.
To add a pair of HQ playback speakers.
To add any additional components I might want to make my audio playback sound even better.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 10:36:20 AM by morningdew »

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
Re: Surrond Sound Reciever
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 11:29:10 AM »

I have heard great things about the Oppo DVD player.  For the price, it has supposedly one of the best pictures out there.  I have not had any experience with one, just passing along word-of-mouth...
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all
http://www.oppodigital.com/

This would allow you to route the video from the DVD direct to the TV via HDMI/DVI and your CD player could connect to the receiver.  You may be better off raising your budget a little and get a receiver in the $500-$600 range, which would have adequate power to drive whatever higher quality speakers you end up getting.  It's a decent sized room you have and you'd benefit from more power.

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 11:38:14 AM »
I think you can do it within your budget.  People around here really like the Sony HT receivers.  I like my Yamaha HT receiver a lot, but the Sony's get really rave reviews.  I would not buy any of the other consumer-grade audio companies.  I'm not sure of the retail on the Sony, but I'm sure someone can advise you on which model and where to look.  You may want to specify how much power you are thinking of.  You can't get really high quality DVD or CD players for what you want to spend, IMO.  However, you can pick up a Toshiba or Samsung on Newegg, eCost, or other on-line retailer for cheap.  Some of the cheap DVD players sound pretty good, but you should consider using the digi-out and using the receiver for your D>A conversion.  The on-board DAC in the receiver probably will sound better that the one in the player.  Make sure that your receiver and player both have the same digi connections (coaxial or toslink).  My Yamaha HT receiver has both coax and toslink inputs and I suspect that this is standard.  Modern DVD players all play CD formats so I'd be thinking of a DVD player for audio playback.  You will need 2 in order to play video silently and audio simultaneously.  I doubt this will be a problem with the Sony receivers (I can do it with my Yamaha).

The other thing to consider buying a used CD player for audio playback.  You can pick up high quality gear for cheap if you know what to look for.  Again, folks around here can give you some advice.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 12:20:42 PM »
Not just any Sony's are pimped on this board, the ES line.  Why run video through the receiver?  In order to play 2 different sources you will need multi zone and I don't think this can be done in this price range.  Denon and Marantz also make nice receivers.  A ton out there and search audiogon.  Could get a nice used player.

sc

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 01:48:23 PM »
I think Dennon and Marantz are beyond the price range, but definitely take a look.  You will run the video signal directly to the TV (unless you have one of the very new HT receivers that has digital video upsampling and processing), but the audio soundtrack goes through the receiver. 
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 02:26:45 PM »
I think Dennon and Marantz are beyond the price range, but definitely take a look.  You will run the video signal directly to the TV (unless you have one of the very new HT receivers that has digital video upsampling and processing), but the audio soundtrack goes through the receiver. 

Even if I have a unit that did video upsampling I would not run video through the receiver unless we are talking the new Anthem D2 which uses the best video processing chip (Gennum I believe).  What video connections are you using/looking for?

Personally I'd find a used DVDO Iscan HD if you need video upconversion. 

Yes the audio track still goes to the reciever, but my point is that if you want to run a video track through the receiver that input would need to be selected in order to view it.  This would then restrict the audio coming from the unit to be from the video source (could not have CD track playing unless you switched the cd to dvd input.  Would just be a pain to always switch.  This is where multi-zone comes in.

sc

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 03:53:01 PM »

Even if I have a unit that did video upsampling I would not run video through the receiver unless we are talking the new Anthem D2 which uses the best video processing chip (Gennum I believe).  What video connections are you using/looking for?

Personally I'd find a used DVDO Iscan HD if you need video upconversion. 

Yes the audio track still goes to the reciever, but my point is that if you want to run a video track through the receiver that input would need to be selected in order to view it.  This would then restrict the audio coming from the unit to be from the video source (could not have CD track playing unless you switched the cd to dvd input.  Would just be a pain to always switch.  This is where multi-zone comes in.

sc

Yes, I see what you mean and agree.  With my Yamaha HT receiver the video signal goes directly from the DVD player via component video cable to the TV.  I can watch the video and select any audio source to play at the same time on the receiver.  I think this is what the original poster has in mind, especially in his price range.  I don't know much about video upsampling receivers, except that they are now available on the consumer market.  The original post says that he has a HDTV.  Perhaps he wants the latest video upsampling technology to go with it, but I think he would do well to search out a good deal on a Sony ES receiver and a couple of cheap DVD players.

Offline morningdew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 07:25:43 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

After some research I'm taking a look at the Marantz SR-5400.  It seems like this will give me a decent HT receiver and a decent start for 2-channel audio playback.

A review: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-8221-514-10-14-x

It comes with "6.1-channel preamplifier outs enable the use of external power amps".  I have no idea what this means but I’m hoping it means I can add a pre-amp down the road which will improve my 2-channel audio listening experience.  Do I understand this correctly? Yes/No?

Finally, what exactly does this mean?

“Unfortunately, the SR5400 lacks A/B speaker switching and second-zone outputs."

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 12:28:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

After some research I'm taking a look at the Marantz SR-5400.  It seems like this will give me a decent HT receiver and a decent start for 2-channel audio playback.

A review: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-8221-514-10-14-x

It comes with "6.1-channel preamplifier outs enable the use of external power amps".  I have no idea what this means but I’m hoping it means I can add a pre-amp down the road which will improve my 2-channel audio listening experience.  Do I understand this correctly? Yes/No?

Finally, what exactly does this mean?

“Unfortunately, the SR5400 lacks A/B speaker switching and second-zone outputs."

Just means You can't hook up speakers in another room to the receiver.  Think of a second zone (bedroom, den, deck,etc)

The preouts are exactly what you think.  I'm really thinking about heading in this direction myself.  I'm looking for a pre with HT bypass and balanced outs.   

sc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com